Skip to content

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced

anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
edited December 2019 in Off-Topic
https://youtu.be/3mfjdNf0SDY

"Join up to 4 friends, online or on the couch, and battle iconic monsters from Dungeons & Dragons in a new co-op action RPG."

Looks like it's a spiritual re-imagining. Has the name and 4-player coop, but i'm not seeing much else in the way of gameplay or tone similarities.

jpg

Back to Dark Alliance: it will be a spiritual successor, not a direct successor, to the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games from the PlayStation 2 and Xbox era. The old story, then, will be left alone.

"It's a new story," Tuque studio head Jeff Hattem told me in an interview. "It's a spiritual successor. It's been so long since the original Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance 2 - it's generations ago, console generations - we felt it wouldn't do that- those two games are really good in their own right and we're putting our own spin on things.

"We felt like this is a new beginning for the franchise."

But Hattem said: "Our game is its own thing. It wouldn't do justice to Vermintide, or other comparables, to one-to-one relate it. Definitely there's the co-op aspects of Vermintide that are similar. Our game plays completely differently to Vermintide since theirs is first-person and ours is third-person. [...] Our game is more group-focused." He wouldn't elaborate how.

Hattem wouldn't specify which consoles Dark Alliance is in development for but bear in mind an autumn 2020 release date puts the game in next-gen, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Scarlett territory.

Hattem couldn't talk about the possibility of cross-platform play but did say Dark Alliance will not be a free-to-play game. "We don't know the pricing just yet but it's not a free-to-play game," he said.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was basically Baldur's Gate for console and therefore sped up and more action packed. The original was developed by Snowblind with help from publisher Black Isle, and released in 2001, and a sequel followed in 2004, made by Black Isle. A planned third game fell apart when Black Isle was closed and Interplay went bankrupt.

jpg

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-12-09-dungeons-dragons-series-dark-alliance-new-game

Official Site
https://www.darkalliance.com/
Post edited by anastiel on

Comments

• gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    Oddly enough, when I heard about this I think I got more excited over the possibility of this bringing attention to the older Dark Alliance games (or Demon Stone) so Beamdog can justify enhancing them.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not going to judge it based off one trailer (which I'm mixed on), but I'm going to keep an eye on it going forward.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    The trailer looked pretty weak to be honest. Hopefully the game plays great it could be a lot of fun but those ugly looking character models running around with that wierd camera style in a bland snow enviroment slashing at generic looking bad guys, I didn't feel much from it.

I loved the Dark Alliance games though so hopefully it actually plays really well and the art is just not really designed to be shown close up like that but even so a pretty drek trailer direction would have rather seen gameplay or something than a poor imitiation of Blizzard high octane trailers.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited December 2019
    Ah, so it's a Left4Dead type game. Really not my cup of tea.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It gets a meh from me. It does look extremely generic and the company doesn't have to focus on character growth or building because it is using well established ones. They really need to impress on the tactical side of the game for it stand a chance IMO, but it's looking like a button masher.

On "what console it's going to be on" the answer is simple: all of them. Just like Dragon Age: Inquisition and (lesser extent GTAV) the game is either going to be ported forward or backwards to work on all machines.

...unless it's a Stadia exclusive like BG3 is rumoured to be... then it is definitely DoA.

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I played these on an enulator and never understood what the fuss was about. They were slightly better than Demon Stone and Demon Stone is......not good, even for a beat 'em up. And that's what these are. And if you want a great D&D beat 'em up, I heartily suggest the Mystara Collection of the two Capcom games. As for this specific genre, Champions of Norrath was also superior.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Forced co-op? Either locally or Online? Meaning no chance whatsoever for singleplayer? Yup. Clearly nothing for me then.
    In one article it was revealed the game will have a single-player mode, but that co-op is how it is expected to be played.

Also very interesting that a WotC person confirmed that pre-5e FR timelines are fair game for new games, as is the case here. This is set not even in the 3.5e timeline but actually in the 2e timeline. But, it will use highly modified 5e rules and systems.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    The trailer looks very bad (same goes for the audio track they chose). It is a no for me.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I wasn't particularly impressed by that trailer, I gotta say. Those shots of Drizzt (I think it's Drizzt?) running around while his head remains completely still in the center of the screen as everything sways madly around him cracked me up. XD

But yeah, I mostly get into RPGs for interesting stories, in-depth world-building and compelling characters/interactions. Dark Alliance 3 might actually be a good game, but that one trailer isn't doing a very good job selling itself to me.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Stopped 30 seconds in, can I get a ticket to board that "not impressed by the trailer" train? The "that looked effing horrible" car please.

What I hated the most about dark alliance was the freaking race and sex lock of the characters. I hate elves but to be a mage I had to be a freaking elf...

I hope this is a early video and the games model doesn't look like these and they actuay give customization
    DragonKing wrote: »
    Stopped 30 seconds in, can I get a ticket to board that "not impressed by the trailer" train? The "that looked effing horrible" car please.

What I hated the most about dark alliance was the freaking race and sex lock of the characters. I hate elves but to be a mage I had to be a freaking elf...

I hope this is a early video and the games model doesn't look like these and they actuay give customization

Nope it looks like you get to play as Drizzt & company. I expect the 5e rules gets close to how ToC:ToA did it, where each character has a set skill set that can be used per map, but of course, with real time mechanics instead of turn base.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    If the actual combat animations and camera focus are anything like in the trailer, then it will be one of the best drunkard simulators in D&D history. Which is something noteworthy I guess.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited December 2019
    Even as a fan of action RPGs, this screamed murder hobo way too much.
    Post edited by themazingness on
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Another massive disappointment. Doesn't anyone make DnD games that appeal even slightly to the core DnD fanbase anymore? Making it a "group focused" co op game, using bloody Drizzt again in another shameless marketing ploy, and in general just looking and feeling uninspired.
    Well figuring WotC actually bought Tuque, the studio behind this game, the answer is no. What's interesting is that they bought Tuque recently, but I've been aware of this D&D games development for awhile.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Killing enemies isn't murderhoboing. Killing friendlies for no reason is.
    edited December 2019
    scriver wrote: »

Killing enemies isn't murderhoboing. Killing friendlies for no reason is.

Fair point. This was my logic:

"Drizzt is a drow who acts against the drow stereotype, favoring friendship and peace over hatred and violence."

I'm not saying he wouldn't kill enemies. But Drizzt in a slaughter fest for the sake of a slaughter fest, which is the message this video sent, would apply in my mind. If you are playing a character that doesn't go on killing sprees to go on killing sprees, I'd still consider that murder hoboing, but you have a very good point (my logic admittedly does not fit everybody's definition).
    If the actual combat animations and camera focus are anything like in the trailer, then it will be one of the best drunkard simulators in D&D history. Which is something noteworthy I guess.
    If you look closely at the trailer, at the end after some credits there is a very short additional piece tacked on, the part where a dragon flies past. According to a Tuque person, that is more towards what gameplay will look like, although even that is pre-alpha. But the bottom line is that the main trailer video is not what gameplay will look like.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Another massive disappointment. Doesn't anyone make DnD games that appeal even slightly to the core DnD fanbase anymore? Making it a "group focused" co op game, using bloody Drizzt again in another shameless marketing ploy, and in general just looking and feeling uninspired.

That's what SoD was. People decided to kill it with bigotry and toxic nostalgia. Have fun with what companies fall back on.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    That's what SoD was. People decided to kill it with bigotry and toxic nostalgia. Have fun with what companies fall back on.
    Whenever people liked, disliked or were indifferent about it is their own individual opinion. It's about time to realize this. Condemning others just for not sharing your tongue's taste buds is neither here nor there, really. I also cannot see discussing SoD all over again in this thread holds any relevance to this upcoming game either... given that their approaches couldn't be more different from each other.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2019
    For whatever reason, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games are remembered really fondly by console players. I can only chalk to this up to a total lack of traditional Western RPGs on the PS2 in this era. The thing is, the PC audience has a shitload of them to choose from, and they aren't going to choose this. There is a reason barely anyone has even heard of Daggerdale, and that Demon Stone is a throwaway title on GOG.

Daggerdale is actually for sale on Steam, but you would never know it unless you typed it in the search bar, because it's so unpopular it doesn't even show up randomly in recommends.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Whenever people liked, disliked or were indifferent about it is their own individual opinion. It's about time to realize this. Condemning others just for not sharing your tongue's taste buds is neither here nor there, really. I also cannot see discussing SoD all over again in this thread holds any relevance to this upcoming game either... given that their approaches couldn't be more different from each other.

Except the game was review bombed by people who never even played it. Reviews by people who actually owned the game were significantly higher. So the crash and burn of SoD had far more to do with people hating something they never played than any kind of actual criticism.
    Except the game was review bombed by people who never even played it. Reviews by people who actually owned the game were significantly higher. So the crash and burn of SoD had far more to do with people hating something they never played than any kind of actual criticism.
    Which is both irrelevant to the new Dark Alliance game and a rather unfair assesstment to people who played SoD and didn't liked it. Let's leave it at that.

On topic: if the devs indeed include something akin to a singleplayer modus then I hope it won't be anything like Vermintide's. That franchise simply replaced open co-op slots with silent bots of questionable ai quality. That kind of implementation is absolutely frustrating for singleplayer.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    For whatever reason, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games are remembered really fondly by console players. I can only chalk to this up to a total lack of traditional Western RPGs on the PS2 in this era. The thing is, the PC audience has a shitload of them to choose from, and they aren't going to choose this. There is a reason barely anyone has even heard of Daggerdale, and that Demon Stone is a throwaway title on GOG.

Daggerdale is actually for sale on Steam, but you would never know it unless you typed it in the search bar, because it's so unpopular it doesn't even show up randomly in recommends.

Huh? Not everyone that plays D&D video games expects them all to be like the IE games. One of my favorites is Dungeon Hack, and there's very little role playing at all in it. Demon Stone was bad because it was a bad game. I get the impression that is the case with Daggerdale too. Did Sword Coast Legends do well? No, because it had poor design and then was abandoned. People love the Neverwinter MMO and it overshadows Dungeons & Dragons Online, but DDO is much closer to real PnP D&D than NWO is (although in this case, I think DDO would be the better game if it were managed better). It has nothing to do with how low or high role-playing they are.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dark Alliance ends up like Demon Stone, but it won't necessarily be because it is an action RPG. It'll depend on how good of a game it is.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Don't know much about DA other than its gorgeous soundtrack, but this trailer made me chuckle in despair. "Let's Slay Together" with drunk Drizzt and crap metal in the background. It's hard not t become a toxic nostalgic when this is apparently what marketing hacks think there's a large player base for. Worst, they might not even be wrong...
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited December 2019

neverwinter nights is alot more niche. you can blame the oc giving people a very poor impression. had the oc been more like dod or sou it would be seen more favorably by more people.
    On topic: if the devs indeed include something akin to a singleplayer modus then I hope it won't be anything like Vermintide's. That franchise simply replaced open co-op slots with silent bots of questionable ai quality. That kind of implementation is absolutely frustrating for singleplayer.
    Yeah this is the big question for me too. If in single-player the other three companions become true NPC companions, then I would seriously consider buying the game. If they are AI drones, then a hard no.

The Neverwinter MMO is indeed very popular, and it also looks like a really good and fun game. It's certainly been supported very well by its developer. But it is a very poor experience in single-player, and that automatically makes it uninteresting to me.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    For whatever reason, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games are remembered really fondly by console players.
    Or because not games has to follow the same standard formula and people actually liked them because they were a fun smashem up?

My cousin and myself enjoyed messing around in the first dark alliance game. I was the elf mage and he was he human Archer and our whole schnick was was trying to wff each other over and get the other killed...

So much fun lol.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The original Dark Alliance games were quite fun. I'd love to see an enhanced edition of them for modern consoles. This new one I'll wait for some game play videos before deciding.