Skip to content

Ausar the Riven (Fighter/Mage Playthrough)

Comments

• dukdukgoosdukdukgoos Member Posts: 22
    Very entertaining read, I binged the whole thing today. Looking forward to more adventures with your morally-ambiguous PC.
  • RaoRao Member Posts: 141
    @dukdukgoos - You binged ~50 entries in one day?? Color me *very* flattered! Thank you so much for taking the time to post to let me know you are enjoying it. It is posts like yours (and the likes, etc.) that give me the motivation to continue writing and posting publicly. So glad to see you on the thread!
  • RaoRao Member Posts: 141
    edited June 2020
    NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR

Today this thread reached its 100th reply! I just wanted to seize the moment to express my gratitude to all of you for your patient attention to this story and for your support. Without your interest, warmth, and community, I am sure this tale would have withered long ago. Even now, I am amazed to have made it this far. So, thank you all, so much!!

Also, welcome back @monico - you were there at the very beginning, and I am very glad to see you back here now.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Once again, the banter adds so much flavour and makes the whole playthrough very vivid !
  • dukdukgoosdukdukgoos Member Posts: 22
    If Khalid is level 1 he can't be one-shotted, he'd be left with a single HP. My guess is that's what happened here.
    edited June 2020
    As a note of trivia, in the original BG1, Entangle wasn't as useless as in its BG2 version. It targeted one enemy, almost always worked, was party friendly, and completely immobilized the target, meaning it couldn't cast spells or fire ranged weapons. It functioned as a druidic version of Hold Person against a single target. I guess the original devs must have decided it was overpowered as a first level spell, so they nerfed it to be much weaker than the original version.

Wow, I did not remember that (granted, I haven't played vanilla BG1 in ages). So, basically, Entangle back in BG1 was a single-target Web spell ?

@jmerry : thanks for the insightful number crunching ! I felt my calculations were a bit too "primitive", but couldn't quite put my finger on the problem (well, apparently, there were several, but the most obvious one was considering 2d8 as a 1d7+1 roll)
    Ahah, it would have been fun if Jaheira did not interfere and Imoen turned into a man !
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The mercy rule? Setting the option to not use difficulty-based damage changes disables it ... I think. If you're playing on core difficulty, that's the only change the option imposes.

Incidentally, the numbers revealed in the picture answer the mechanical question I had. Ogres have their weapon mastered.
    @Rao : IIRC, it is the second time already that you describe sigils/emblems. Do those emblems actually exist in BG lore or do you improvise them ?
    If it is the former, could you provide a link to a depiction ? I'd love to see what they look like.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2020
    @monico , I thought it was Entar Silvershield's son's emblem. That caravan is where you find it with NPC Project installed. Of course, NPC Project also puts a very dangerous troop of bandit archers there at the caravan, and those weren't in the story, so I'm not quite sure what is going on in the last chapter.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    edited June 2020
    @BelgarathMTH I understood the reference, I'm just curious to see what that emblem actually looks like ^^.

P.S.: spoiler alert, you revealed the identity of the victim :wink:
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    You don't need the NPC project for that bit; the EE also places that particular identifying object at the caravan, and allows you to return it to the family later on.

The NPC project adds the bandits, and does a bit more with Kagain's dialogue around the incident if you recruit him.