Skip to content

Ausar the Riven (Fighter/Mage Playthrough)

RaoRao Member Posts: 141
Hi everyone - I’m a long-time lurker, first time poster on these boards. I have played through the entire saga (BG+SoD+SoA+ToB) only once, though I have finished BG itself many times.

Inspired by some of the playthroughs posted on this site, I thought I would start a new run and use it as a basis for a descriptive narrative. The write-up will be intended to mirror my progress in-game, with an emphasis on capturing the inner life of the protagonist as he sallies forth. If you are looking for a bullet-pointed summary of big combats, look elsewhere.

In terms of artistic license, my goal will be to remain faithful to the spirit of the games, while allowing myself the liberty to make expansions and amendments where they serve the integrity of the narrative. For example, I will directly incorporate much of the dialogue from the game verbatim, but will also add or subtract lines if it seems entertaining or otherwise appropriate. I may also “twist” some of the dialogue so that it has a different connotation than one might read straight off the computer screen. I am no expert in Forgotten Realms lore, but hopefully implausibilities in this respect will be not too egregious, or at least kindly overlooked ;)

In short, I want everyone who reads the narrative to recognize the game we all love, while at the same time having the opportunity to experience it from a fresh perspective.

If you enjoy what I write here, please let me know with a post or a “like.” There is not really much sense in making a sustained effort if there is no interest.
Post edited by Rao on

Comments

• RaoRao Member Posts: 141
    Hey monico,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Glad to hear you are enjoying it so far, such as it is. I've also found the content you have been posting in this subforum very entertaining - hope you keep it up!

I am going to try updating this thread with new content on a regular basis, so stay tuned for the next installment in a day or two.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    edited February 2020
    Meanwhile, the Lorekeeper of Oghma:

giphy.gif

(sorry mate, couldn't resist)
    oooh, goosebumps. I feel like reliving the main plot for the first time.
    How will you play it if, for example, a companion dies during a fight ?
    Will you reload so the gameplay obeys the writing ? Or will the writing follow along the randomness of dice rolls?
  • RaoRao Member Posts: 141
    Thanks @Aerakar - I really appreciate it! A duo of assassins sounds moderately terrifying to play, but even more terrifying for your enemies. Davaeorn must have been positively mortified. Here's to hoping that real life gives you a little breathing space sometime soon.

And of course, if you decide to post about the exploits of your ruthless and cunning (or not so cunning, as the case may be) assassins on this subforum, I will be sure to check it out. Cheers!
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    Rao wrote: »
    NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR

Throughout this Chapter, I will intermittently post screenshots in spoiler windows, so that you can match up the narrative with real in-game action, or just enjoy a pretty picture. If so inclined, I may subtitle some of these screenshots with out-of-character commentary.

Also, for those who are interested, I am playing an unmodded game on Core difficulty (except w/ max HP gain on level up for Ausar - sorry, old instincts die hard).

Finally, not sure if you are following this thread, but thanks for stopping by @Aerie - hope your own playthrough is going well!

Thanks Rao,

Yeah like yours, my own playthrough is going great!