Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Baldur's Gate 3: Ayes or Nays

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,594
There's been another poll in the past asking the same question.

But since we know what's the newest “BG game“ is all about now (thanks to the PAX live Let's Play). And we cannot re-cast our previous votes in polls. I figured we're in need for a new one.

That, and I'm curious how the current forum member consensus sees things. Should prove to be interesting when compared to the previous voting.

Baldur's Gate 3: Ayes or Nays 96 votes

Ayes
39%
ronaldoRannDukeGrbyrne20StefanOLosgornSilverstarShadowdemonTimbo0o0o0DJKajurubob_vengJuliusBorisovCalmarBalrog99DinoDinUsuzejackjackGarasouauburn2BallpointMan 38 votes
Nays
40%
AedanSikorskyPeccaankhegKamigoroshiArcalianAstafasEekanImpdac0152ThacoBellLord_TansheronDalakaarOrlonKronsteenRavenslightElrandirLookToWindwardcobankanisathaMalacPokcartesii 39 votes
Neithers
19%
TingelMERLANCEArdanissabacs90sarevok57scriverFrozenCellsDanathionIlphalarspacejawsDoubledimasNoonCahirSenSayNyuAmmarFandraxxDorcusDev6themazingness 19 votes
StummvonBordwehrLudwig_IISilverstarAedanKlingelolien
«1345678

Comments

  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,067
    Neithers
    I put "neither". To explain my vote:

    I expect it to be a good game, but not really a BG game. However, since the story of the old games was concluded and I was not hoping for a real sequel, I don't this game will be able to do any harm to the series.

  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Neithers
    I put Neither, but I want to explain my reasoning.
    I've never actually played Divinity. I've looked at it, I know how the game plays, but I haven't actually played it yet.
    This new Baldur's Gate 3 might as well have been called Divinity 3 instead. It doesn't look or feel like BG at all, and I will always be dissapointed in that.
    However, if we ignore the name and look at it as Divinity 3, it may end up being a decent or even good game.
    So, Neither. It's certainly not BG3, but it may be a good RPG. Only time will tell.

    KamigoroshiMERLANCEsarevok57
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 966
    Ayes
    I'll post the majority of my thoughts over in one of the other threads as I feel they fit better there, but from what I've seen so far... Yes, I think it does have potential to be a fun game, so I will get it. (Maybe not first day purchase it though. I'll see what feedback from Early Access is like.) That said, I'm going in basically with fresh eyes expecting nothing more than a fun 5E D&D game. From what I've seen, there probably isn't going to be anything in BG3 that deals with the Bhaalspawn saga aside from maybe some Easter Eggs and a few plot threads here and there. The fact that the central premise of the game's plot hook is "you've been afflicted with ceremorphosis!" kinda lends an urgent weight that will overshadow most other things, so I HIGHLY doubt Larian will try to shoehorn in yet another link to the Bhaalspawn in there; your current character's got enough to worry about.

  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,189
    Nays
    Nay from me, for now. All judgement is tentative pending more information, but the fact that it looks like a D:OS mod more like an actual BG game and the fact that it's fully turn based rather than pause based put this into the "hard pass" category for me right now.

    BrecherSikorsky
  • Ayes
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 473
    Ayes
    I wanted to try something different, not another IE game, so I want to give the game a try. Also the options in combat and the translation of the D&D5e ruleset to a videogame looked good.

  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 646
    Neithers
    I'm borderline, leaning nay. I'm still waiting to see a few things before I say aye or nay.

  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 189
    Neithers
    I'm just sceptical about the combat system. I don't know if it worths trying to get over it.

  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 395
    Neithers
    I give it a Meh. It might be a good game. Turn based isnt a dealbreaker for me, but my main gripe is the title. Its a Forgotten Realms game that takes place in the vicinity of Baldurs gate with no connection to BG1 or BG2. Other than Minsc probably showing up, I doubt events from a hundred years before will make an impact.

    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 285
    edited February 28
    Nays
    chimaera wrote: »
    I prefer playing spellcasters and the gui in all IE games just doesn't support real time spellcasting. It takes time to scroll through all the memorized spells and choose the one to cast, nevermind how inconvient that spell bar is. So I play with autopause, at which point I would have prefered a full turn-based system if it were available.

    I agree about your point in playing spellcasters in IE engine games, but there’s a much better solution than using autopause.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/68958/mod-bubbs-spell-menu-update-v3-0/p1
    This incredible mod fully changed my gameplay experience for spellcasters, from annoying to awesome.

    My point is, just because IE games does not have a good spellcasting UI doesn’t mean the whole combat system needs to be changed to turn based to overcome it.

    Back on topic, it’s a big nay for me as if I want to play Divinity, I can play Divinity games. Not a Divinity clone disguised as BG3. And I find it very dishonest to change everything in the game and then put Minsc or something just to lure old BG fans with nostalgia. So, I guess I prefer 20 more years with the IE games instead. Luckily, other companies are still producing awesome rpgs mentioned above like black geyser, pathfinder, PoE, etc.

    megamike15SikorskyThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
  • DalakaarDalakaar Member Posts: 6
    edited February 29
    Nays
    Turn Based is a dealbreaker for me. RTwP or bust.

    PS: the results of a poll I did on reddit a week and a half ago.
    xp5s68op4n9v.png

    SikorskyThacoBellkanisathaOrlonKronsteen
  • LottiLotti Member Posts: 66
    Ayes
    1115 votes. That is impressive. That is not even the number of games they have to give away to the press and streamers.


    This one has 26000 votes at the moment, with 53% for TB.

    Of course that vote is still heavily skewed, because only RTWP fanatics have a real reason to vote, because they want something to happen. Most potential clients have no interest in this discussion, they will just enjoy what will be on offer, and they realise that such votes don't have a real effect.

    PsicoVicbyrne20
  • RannRann Member Posts: 167
    Ayes
    I watched the reveal yesterday, and frankly I was blown away. I thought it was a clever mix of real-time with turn-based. From what little was shown, I also think it will have a lot of replay value. I personally prefer the tactical side of games, and real-time (even with pause) is not something I'm great at.

  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 114
    Ayes
    Have watched the full video as well as several different cuts, and read some analysis.
    The game is a “yes” from me. I’ll buy it on release day and probably play on Google Stadia (mainly to see if streaming is the future of gaming)

    Having said that it’s clear that the “BG3” name is mainly for the press and marketing, and less for it being an actual sequel to BG1 and 2.
    That’s not a good thing or a bad thing (it’s been 20 years...) but anyone expecting a continuation of BG1 and BG2 is going to get a surprise

  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 29
    Ayes
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    Ludwig_II
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,204
    Ayes
    It's Baldur's Sin 3. OS3 wearing the skin of D&D. I like D:OS, I like D&D and I like most the Larian games I've played so far. From what I saw in the PAX thing, I'll like this. But I would have much preferred getting separate Divinity: Original Sin 3 and Baldur's Gate 3 games.

    To me this will always be Baldur's Sin 3 the same way the game that followed Dragon Age: Origins was Dragon Effect 2. Not the exact game I wanted, but something similar, an amalgation of two separately good things. I have no intention of being toxic or snarky about it though, I'll most likely keep this opinion to myself and enjoy the game for what it is rather than what I wanted it to be.

  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 20,450
    Ayes
    The PC Gamer poll ended.

    gfm1edzs3db4.jpg

    PsicoVicBallpointManbyrne20lolien
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 473
    edited February 29
    Ayes
    I know it is unrelated, and to be honest I played very good games in TB and in RTwP but I´ve never been able to fathom why so many people think that TB games are not that popular... I mean, many of the top-selling videogame RPG franchises are TB games. And the second best´selling videogame franchise of all times are turn based games (Yeah, It´s Pokemon)

    https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_selling_RPG_games

  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 473
    edited February 29
    Ayes
    Sorry that was about a post that was trying to sell us the (fake) fact that Larian is going to lose sales because the game is TB, I do not know if they delete the post or maybe I post it in the wrong thread because I cannot find it anywhere.

    I was talking about sales, not about tastes. Everybody has their own and it´s a waste of time discussing about what you like or not. The heart wants what the heart wants.

    Post edited by PsicoVic on
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,298
    Ayes
    i like what i'm seeing so far. looks like it's going to be a fun game.

  • LottiLotti Member Posts: 66
    Ayes
    The PC Gamer poll ended.

    gfm1edzs3db4.jpg

    I don't know what to think of it, but Swen Vinke did retweet this poll at first, but later that tweet was removed. Was he disappointed by the high number of RtwP votes? Or did he decide to step out of the rumblings for now? No point for him to stir up this fire.

    Kamigoroshi
  • LottiLotti Member Posts: 66
    Ayes
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Lotti wrote: »
    The PC Gamer poll ended.

    gfm1edzs3db4.jpg

    I don't know what to think of it, but Swen Vinke did retweet this poll at first, but later that tweet was removed. Was he disappointed by the high number of RtwP votes? Or did he decide to step out of the rumblings for now? No point for him to stir up this fire.
    My interpretation would be that he, and others, expected the numbers would be 90% TB 10% RTwP, and thus were caught very surprised. Obviously these polls are biased towards the TB side. PC Gamer runs a huge article praising and loving the game and especially that it will be TB, and then they ask people what do they think. In polling science this is known as 'priming' your respondents.

    Erm, no, they published two articles with opposite opinions almost simultaneously.

    The game will be turn based, so there is little reason to vote for that, unless you are involved in some virtual ideology war. The real time fans do have reasons to vote, to express their dissatisfaction, and the negative always trumps the positive.

    Personally I think RtwP is fine for the Infinity games, for PoE and for grand strategy like Europa Universalis. The HOI4 game director also tweeted on the poll, saying turn based is better for tactical situations, RT for everything else.


    BG3 will be turn based fighting, and is real time in between.

  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,033
    edited March 1
    Ayes
    kanisatha wrote: »
    In polling science this is known as 'priming' your respondents.

    Kind of like how this poll uses quotes around "BG game" ; )

    I disagree with the rest of your post. There's no reason to believe that this was the case. My guess is: Sven realized that while he prefers TB, it's better not to ruffle the feathers of any potential buyers by doing what could be considered "rubbing it in their faces" that they lost.

  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,728
    Neithers
    Neithers doesn't sound very accurate, it's more like no-idea-whatsoevers for me :|

  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,594
    Nays
    kanisatha wrote: »
    In polling science this is known as 'priming' your respondents.

    Kind of like how this poll uses quotes around "BG game" ; )
    Would you have preferred brackets for a [BG game] experience? Or are you perhaps more of a guillement person yourself? :p

    BallpointMan
Sign In or Register to comment.