Skip to content

When was the last time you tilted?

MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
I don’t often tilt anymore but I did today. Working on a solo, poverty, no reload run with a lvl 15 Priest of Lathander/Mage and died in the Abazigal fight. Lost my cool completely and haven’t been able to play at all the rest of the day.

When was the last time you tilted and what game?

Comments

• m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    The one I remember the most was when I was playing Street Fighter 2. I had the suspicion that the computer was cheating. Like, when I was fighting against Guile, he would do a flash kick directly from a standing position, or he would throw a sonic boom without having to step back to charge it. "This is bullshit", I said, and I quit playing the game for several years.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited December 2020
    I can't remember rage quitting anything since I was very young. If I am hitting a wall and getting frustrated I just "nope" outta there and find something better to do. Sometimes I will get annoyed enough that I will sit there and try, and try, and try again until I do it.

But you know what game caused me endless rage as a kid? Pokemon freaking Stadium. You think Pokemon is a cakewalk until you stumble onto those two games, which were as hard as they could possibly get in the first two generations. Optimized stats, teams, strategies based on the actual tournament metagame of the time, and a few rule changes to prevent abuse. I never met a kid that could beat them growing up, and even now I have to use all my knowledge to actually win.

Nowadays I actually appreciate that brutally difficult old school pokemon games exist.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I can't remember rage quitting anything since I was very young. If I am hitting a wall and getting frustrated I just "nope" outta there and find something better to do. Sometimes I will get annoyed enough that I will sit there and try, and try, and try again until I do it.

But you know what game caused me endless rage as a kid? Pokemon freaking Stadium. You think Pokemon is a cakewalk until you stumble onto those two games, which were as hard as they could possibly get in the first two generations. Optimized stats, teams, strategies based on the actual tournament metagame of the time, and a few rule changes to prevent abuse. I never met a kid that could beat them growing up, and even now I have to use all my knowledge to actually win.

Nowadays I actually appreciate that brutally difficult old school pokemon games exist.

i seriously here ya, whatever the level 50-55 cup is called ( prime cup? ) is so damn hard, especially in round 2 when that one dude has a dragonite at level 55 with 204 HP and blizzard for F sakes only does half its health, like get the hell out of here with that trash

starmie was my MVP in that cup with it's great typing and move pool

but killing round 2 mewtwo with a rental seaking felt soooooooo good hahaha
    edited December 2020
    sarevok57 wrote: »

i seriously here ya, whatever the level 50-55 cup is called ( prime cup? ) is so damn hard, especially in round 2 when that one dude has a dragonite at level 55 with 204 HP and blizzard for F sakes only does half its health, like get the hell out of here with that trash

Starmie is always a good pick, he was a top-tier mon for a long time from what I understand. I went with a bit of an unconventional build and went with a Seadra with Smokescreen, Blizzard, Double Team, and Surf for the final Round 2 cups. Throw up one Double Team at the start, then one Smokescreen, and add another Smokescreen every time they are forced to switch. A bit risky, but reliable enough to win more often than not.

A lot of people say Stadium 2 is harder, but I find it a bit easier due to the fact that you have access to reliable healing on anyone you need, passing stat boosts became a thing, and Hidden Power can give you type coverage you wouldn't otherwise have. Try getting a Dodrio with HP Fighting, it's a monster. None of its weak types can safely switch in if you can predict it, which usually isn't hard.
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    Evidence that I'm not crazy:

https://youtu.be/laUAgEUunsI

The comment section on that video is pure gold.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I've never heard the expression 'tilted' before, but I like it. The last time it happened to me was with Civilization II. I had the best game I'd ever played going and I left my save around the middle ages. I was poised to dominate economically and scientifically, and I figured I had a chance to win the space race before 1900. All was going like clockwork when I saved my game that Saturday afternoon. I went out that night and came home blind drunk at three in the morning. I cracked another beer and decided it would be a good idea to continue my run.

Literally drunk with power, I thought it was a good idea to declare war on all the other civs at once and take over the world. Needless to say, it was a disaster. I made terrible decisions and couldn't keep track of what was going on across the whole map. As the first light of dawn stabbed into my apartment window, my empire was in tatters and the realization of how badly I'd shit the bed hit me. And the worst thing was it all seemed like a microcosm of my entire life at the time. I did not handle it well and that was the end of my PS1.

I have never had that happen before or since. The closest I have come in BG was when I had three consecutive no-reload attempts end at Sarevok's coronation. I admit I had a hard time keeping composed after that third time.

Starmie is always a good pick, he was a top-tier mon for a long time from what I understand. I went with a bit of an unconventional build and went with a Seadra with Smokescreen, Blizzard, Double Team, and Surf for the final Round 2 cups. Throw up one Double Team at the start, then one Smokescreen, and add another Smokescreen every time they are forced to switch. A bit risky, but reliable enough to win more often than not.

A lot of people say Stadium 2 is harder, but I find it a bit easier due to the fact that you have access to reliable healing on anyone you need, passing stat boosts became a thing, and Hidden Power can give you type coverage you wouldn't otherwise have. Try getting a Dodrio with HP Fighting, it's a monster. None of its weak types can safely switch in if you can predict it, which usually isn't hard.

i had a friend of mine beat the ho-oh, lugia and mewtwo battle with a tyranatar, amphrous and a lapras, god it was epic, and man the luck was silly as hell;

first he brought out tyranatar and the game brought out mewtwo

mewtwo went first of coarse and used submission and tyranatar being the beast that it is survived it, although just barely, but best part is, mewtwo almost killed itself from recoil, so tyranatar used crunch and mewtwo was taken out

next the game brought out lugia and i believe lugia used calm mind or some jargon, then my friend used crunch again and did just under half it's health i believe, then lugia used whatever and took out tyranatar

so next my friend brought out amphrous, and lugia went first and i dont remember what it used but amphrous survived and he used thunder, got a critical hit and took lugia out, friggin LOL

then the game brought out ho-oh, and again i dont remember what move it used first but my friend was able to get a thunder in and paralyze ho-oh, but in the end somehow ho-oh was able to take out amphrous

so next my friend brought out lapras and since ho-oh was near death and paralyzed, one surf and the fight was won

it was so hilarious to watch 3 non legendaries take out the 3 most powerful legendaries in that fight hahaha
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Historically, when emotion gets involved in my gameplay, it's after the fact. I've felt drained and depressed after losing a promising run, and my second solo LoB run was altogether too brutally punishing and was very unhealthy for me.

Ever since then, I've kinda cooled down, and losing runs doesn't faze me much. I'm also less ambitious with my runs, since the only way to top my solo LoB run is to do something that's even less fun. I no longer try to chase trophies.
    edited December 2020
    Oh man, how could I forget Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories? This drove me crazy as a kid, and was so brutally unfair I'm amazed they released it in the state it was in. I was good at it, too.

It could very well be the hardest PS1 game of all time.

Picture this. You start with a deck of 40 cards, none of which have an attack factor above 1500. Tributes don't exist. Magic and traps? Forget about it, you aren't getting those. Every time you win a duel you get 1 card. You have about a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting any card with an attack above 2000.

By the time you get to mid game, everyone you face is automatically drawing cards with 3000+ attack, tribute free. The last few are auto-drawing cards with 4000+.

The very best combo you can reasonably make without hundreds of hours of grinding is to fuse a 2800 monster, if you're lucky. The best strategy beyond cheating or frame-perfect manipulation is to bash your head against the wall of RNG until they draw the worst cards of their deck and you draw the best. It is as fun as it sounds.

Oh, you want to use the password system to get good cards you actually own? Every halfway decent card costs 999,999 chips. You can maybe use your passwords to get something in the 900 attack range. Did I mention monster effects don't exist?

Really, I'm underselling it here. If you want to get extremely mad at video games, try it out.
    Post edited by WarChiefZeke on
    Oh man, how could I forget Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories? This drove me crazy as a kid, and was so brutally unfair I'm amazed they released it in the state it was in. I was good at it, too.

Picture this. You start with a deck of 40 cards, none of which have an attack factor above 1500. Tributes don't exist. Magic and traps? Forget about it, you aren't getting those. Every time you win a duel you get 1 card. You have about a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting any card with an attack above 2000.

By the time you get to mid game, everyone you face is automatically drawing cards with 3000+ attack, tribute free. The last few are auto-drawing cards with 4000+.

The very best combo you can reasonably make without hundreds of hours of grinding is to fuse a 2800 monster, if you're lucky. The best strategy beyond cheating or frame-perfect manipulation is to bash your head against the wall of RNG until they draw the worst cards of their deck and you draw the best. It is as fun as it sounds.

Oh, you want to use the password system to get good cards you actually own? Every halfway decent card costs 999,999 chips. You can maybe use your passwords to get something in the 900 attack range. Did I mention monster effects don't exist?

Really, I'm underselling it here. If you want to get extremely mad at video games, try it out.

but did you use the heart of the cards though? wasn't that the catch phrase? :)

Forbidden Memories is what happens when what is inside the Heart of the Cards is nothing but a desire to see you suffer.

It turns out the Memories were Forbidden because they were memories of dozens of traumatic beatdowns Yugi suffered at the hands of the High Mages.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    It's stories like yours that make me glad that, now that I'm an adult with limited gaming time at his disposal, I have absolutely no compunction whatsoever about modding or outright cheating in my single player games. Especially since years of experience have taught me that, under the hood, the computer is ALSO usually cheating its electronic a$$ off. ;)

Forbidden Memories is what happens when what is inside the Heart of the Cards is nothing but a desire to see you suffer.

It turns out the Memories were Forbidden because they were memories of dozens of traumatic beatdowns Yugi suffered at the hands of the High Mages.

ah my bad, i barely if ever watched the show back in the day, and all i remembered was some jargon about using the heart of the cards or some such to win matches

although i've seen every episode of the yu-gi-oh abridged series on youtube and man was that stuff hilarious
    edited December 2020

ah my bad, i barely if ever watched the show back in the day, and all i remembered was some jargon about using the heart of the cards or some such to win matches

although i've seen every episode of the yu-gi-oh abridged series on youtube and man was that stuff hilarious

I only briefly watched the show as a kid but played quite a few of the old games and read some of the old manga. The original tone before the anime was way darker. The sister of Yugi's ancient rival kills herself as tribute to summon the Blue Eyes White Dragon against raiders, several people die within the course of the game I was just talking about, etc.
    Zaxares wrote: »
    It's stories like yours that make me glad that, now that I'm an adult with limited gaming time at his disposal, I have absolutely no compunction whatsoever about modding or outright cheating in my single player games. Especially since years of experience have taught me that, under the hood, the computer is ALSO usually cheating its electronic a$$ off. ;)

Agree there, and I didn't even go into half of the ways the game cheats. When you cheat and start with every available card, it's actually pretty fun. Pick your favorite of any power level and watch some early 3D monster battling. Lots of mods for a ps1 game as well.