Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    t4fke9a3u53i.png
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    This isn't about Covid-19 per se but I want to post a question here about a personal dilemma I'm facing. This forum has a lot of knowledgeable folks so I thought I'd ask for your opinions.

I just had oral surgery today (surgical implant posts installed) and I was prescribed a post-surgery antibiotic. There is some conjecture that antibiotics can leave you more susceptible to the flu and was wondering if the risks of taking it in this Covid-19 environment might be greater than the potential benefit. Any thoughts?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Balrog99: Definitely take your antibiotics. You are far more likely to get sick from a recent surgery because you didn't take your antibiotics than you to get sick from the flu because you took the antibiotics and they might impact your resistance. The flu is a longer-term but lower-level risk; the risk of infection from the surgery is near-term but very high.

Right now, the exposed and damaged tissues in your mouth are the bigger danger.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @Balrog99: Definitely take your antibiotics. You are far more likely to get sick from a recent surgery because you didn't take your antibiotics than you to get sick from the flu because you took the antibiotics and they might impact your resistance. The flu is a longer-term but lower-level risk; the risk of infection from the surgery is near-term but very high.

Right now, the exposed and damaged tissues in your mouth are the bigger danger.

That was my thought too, but then I substituted 'Covid-19' for 'flu' and seeing as that virus is going, well for want of a better word, viral, it made me think about probabilities. My mind goes into full-on spreadsheet mode when probabilities and statistics are involved! Antibiotics do suppress your immune system, especially the benefits your gut bacteria provide.
    @Balrog99 To add onto what @semiticgod already advised. Both COVID and infection will land you in a hospital. Which is the worst place to be to avoid COVID at this point. Infection is a big deal, and the only reason its less dangerous than COVID, is that you aren't really gonna catch it from someone else or pass it on yourself (barring bizarre circumstances). Untreated infections (especially the kind that can arise from surgery) WILL kill eventually.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Balrog99 To add onto what @semiticgod already advised. Both COVID and infection will land you in a hospital. Which is the worst place to be to avoid COVID at this point. Infection is a big deal, and the only reason its less dangerous than COVID, is that you aren't really gonna catch it from someone else or pass it on yourself (barring bizarre circumstances). Untreated infections (especially the kind that can arise from surgery) WILL kill eventually.

@Arvia already set me straight (privately). I'll take my meds like a good boy now... ?
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited November 2020
    What puzzles me is the rumour that taking antibiotic medicine makes you more susceptible to catching a disease as this is the first time I've heard such a thing. Now as far as I've heard that makes no sense. The only possible impact (other than possible allergic reaction), that I know of, is it should kill bacteria in your body. This may well impact the "friendly" bacteria in your gut. But that's about all.

Having looked online I can find no reference to such a rumour except in relation to experiments on mice relating to tropical fevers such as Dengue fever. The nearest I came was on the WHO's Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: Mythbusters web page.

TR
    edited November 2020
    What puzzles me is the rumour that taking antibiotic medicine makes you more susceptible to catching a disease as this is the first time I've heard such a thing. Now as far as I've heard that makes no sense. The only possible impact (other than possible allergic reaction), that I know of, is it should kill bacteria in your body. This may well impact the "friendly" bacteria in your gut. But that's about all.

TR

There are findings that the friendly bacteria in your gut are part of the early-warning system your body uses to fight disease. I've read a little about it so was just wondering if other people knew more about it than me and could apprise me of the relative risk of taking indiscriminate antibiotics during a pandemic.
    Well the only other negative thing about taking antibiotics is building disease resistant bacteria. From what little I know, not finishing a prescribed course of antibiotics also helps bacteria to become resistant.

TR
    Well the only other negative thing about taking antibiotics is building disease resistant bacteria. From what little I know, not finishing a prescribed course of antibiotics also helps bacteria to become resistant.

TR

Which is why I asked the question before I started the course!
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

TR

Other than the potential effect on gut bacteria, NHS advice includes the following:
    "Very rarely, antibiotic treatment will cause a drop in the blood count, including the numbers of white cells that fight infection. This corrects itself when the treatment is stopped."
    edited November 2020
    I think the relevant phrase there is "Very rarely". So unless you've had problems with antibiotics before @Balrog99, it is probably wise to take the medicine.

TR
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I just read an article from the AP about people in the rural midwest not being concerned even though they are aware the surge is happening there. It was striking just how much "I" and "me" was referred to in the article. These people have absolutely no concept or care for others whatsoever, or they are completely ignorant as to how this thing works. Either way, I don't particularly give a shit. I don't care what happens to them anymore. But it's, in most cases, someone else who is going to die for their selfishness. And there is a complete moral or mental block about it.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    I just read an article from the AP about people in the rural midwest not being concerned even though they are aware the surge is happening there. It was striking just how much "I" and "me" was referred to in the article. These people have absolutely no concept or care for others whatsoever, or they are completely ignorant as to how this thing works. Either way, I don't particularly give a shit. I don't care what happens to them anymore. But it's, in most cases, someone else who is going to die for their selfishness. And there is a complete moral or mental block about it.

Is this the article?

https://apnews.com/article/iowa-south-dakota-coronavirus-pandemic-nebraska-north-dakota-bf7197b284401dea8b779cfa764dfab2

I know the way these people think because I grew up with them and in many ways I am one. Personally I wear my mask because I'd hate to infect somebody else, but I'm not afraid of the virus.
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Is this the article?

https://apnews.com/article/iowa-south-dakota-coronavirus-pandemic-nebraska-north-dakota-bf7197b284401dea8b779cfa764dfab2

I know the way these people think because I grew up with them and in many ways I am one. Personally I wear my mask because I'd hate to infect somebody else, but I'm not afraid of the virus.

Yes, and that's great and all, but the ND health care system is about to crash, and it doesn't care if people are afraid or not:

https://www.valleynewslive.com/2020/11/14/nurses-say-nds-response-to-covid-19-is-a-dumpster-fire/
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Is this the article?

Man. That's nuts some of those quotes.
    edited November 2020

Is this the article?

It's utterly amazing how people treat this like it's akin to overcoming a fear of heights by riding a roller coaster. This has nothing to do with bravery or personal growth. "If I just go out to restaurants more without a mask, that'll show the virus who the boss is". We're fundamentally too stupid as a country to face this.

Made as quick a trip as possible to the local Dollar Store on my lunch break. 4 employees, NONE wearing masks despite a sign outside requiring customers to. The other two customers wearing ones with it not covering their nose. That settles it for me. I'm having everything mailed or delivered until this subsides.
    edited November 2020
    I assume in other countries without these massive covid outbreaks that wearing masks is not as rare as it is here.

Our President has not attended a coronavirus task force meeting in five months and is literally doing nothing to fight the disease.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-hasnt-attended-coronavirus-task-force-meeting-in-5-months-report-2020-11
    Post edited by smeagolheart on

Is this the article?

It's utterly amazing how people treat this like it's akin to overcoming a fear of heights by riding a roller coaster. This has nothing to do with bravery or personal growth. "If I just go out to restaurants more without a mask, that'll show the virus who the boss is". We're fundamentally too stupid as a country to face this.

Made as quick a trip as possible to the local Dollar Store on my lunch break. 4 employees, NONE wearing masks despite a sign outside requiring customers to. The other two customers wearing ones with it not covering their nose. That settles it for me. I'm having everything mailed or delivered until this subsides.

Just stopped by a party store to pick up some beer for ? Sunday. Everybody, customer and employee alike, wore masks. It's really weird hearing about how other states are reacting. Maybe I'm just too close to a major city (Detroit) to see the rural effects...
    edited November 2020
    Wearing a mask while staffers are forced to be there less than 6 feet away from you is too much to ask for the GOP. There are masked staffers below the GOP senator. He should wear a mask for their protection. He refuses.

edited November 2020
    Yikes. One day after Whitmer announced her shutdown orders things here in my Michigan neighborhood have changed dramatically. Granted my viewpoint is limited, but the party store I've been going to might be a microcosm. Whereas almost everybody, customers and workers, wore masks just two days ago, today was quite busy there and me and one other guy were the only customers wearing masks. Also, only about half of the workers were wearing them. Apparently, Americans really don't like being told what to do. I'm starting to wonder if Biden making masks mandatory might be a disaster. I wish I was kidding...

Edit: I think I'm going to do my Thanksgiving grocery shopping at midnight.
    @Balrog99 "Americans really don't like being told what to do. I'm starting to wonder if Biden making masks mandatory might be a disaster. I wish I was kidding..."

The alternative is that this never ends. People acted the same way during the big Flu pandemic, and masks had to be enforced by police.
    edited November 2020
    Yikes. One day after Whitmer announced her shutdown orders things here in my Michigan neighborhood have changed dramatically. Granted my viewpoint is limited, but the party store I've been going to might be a microcosm. Whereas almost everybody, customers and workers, wore masks just two days ago, today was quite busy there and me and one other guy were the only customers wearing masks. Also, only about half of the workers were wearing them. Apparently, Americans really don't like being told what to do. I'm starting to wonder if Biden making masks mandatory might be a disaster. I wish I was kidding...

Edit: I think I'm going to do my Thanksgiving grocery shopping at midnight.

Again, where was this contingent of rebels ripping off their shirt and shoes every time they entered a gas station to prove how they weren't going to be "told what to do"?? Why doesn't everyone just drive 90 mph on the freeway?? Ignore stop signs, use the crosswalk while traffic is going full speed in both directions??

I have a problem with authority too, this isn't that. It's wearing a mildly annoying cloth covering over your face so you don't start a chain of events that kills someone. Why do we have to treat half the population like toddlers to get them to do the bare minimum necessary to combat this?? Would they like a cookie and a gold star as well?? It's gonna be at LEAST another month before the vaccine starts to roll out in limited supply. The vaccine itself is in two parts, and the immunity takes about 28 days total to kick in. We have a near crisis situation in the short-term, and we are having to spend time wondering if we need to be doing reverse psychology on emotionally stunted morons.
    2000 deaths yesterday, 200,000 new cases, no end in sight. Just an utter failure on every level.
    No end in sight things are totally out of control and apathy is really high.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    @Arvia in the school of my kids it's "Mask everywhere including outside during break but not during classes". Classes are as full as normal, no chance to keep the required minimum distance. And to only meet people of one other household during free time is as far as I know government regulation for whole Germany currently.