This is a trimmed down version of the Readme. For more information, please refer to the Readme file inside the mod archive. For any additional questions or bug reports, feel free to contact me directly or post in the thread.About Ayden Project
Ayden is primarily a companion mod, but comes bundled with a set of additional components.
- Warlock Kit: Warlock is a Thief class kit based on the Warlock class from 3rd edition D&D. (BG:EE, BG:SoD)
- Ayden NPC: A recruitable NPC with custom dialogues, banter, and quests. (BG:EE, BG:SoD)
- Shadow Walking: A feature offered by the NPC to reduce travelling time. (BG:EE, BG:SoD)
- Ayden's Refuge: A pocket plane where the party can rest and store items. (BG:EE, BG:SoD)
- Item Crafting: A simple item crafting system offered in the form of a dialog with the NPC. (BG:EE, BG:SoD)
- Wands for Thieves: Enable the use of wands for all thief kits (including warlock). (Any)
- Thief Proficiencies: Enable mace and spear proficiency for all thief kits. (Any)
Ayden project is still in development. Be sure to check back once in a while to get the latest version.Installation
Example Installation Directory:
- Make sure you have an updated version (v2.6) of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition installed on your hard drive.
- Extract the contents of the archive to your Baldur's Gate installation directory.
- If you have BG:SoD installed you must also install the DLC Merger mod before anything else.
- Run Setup-Ayden.exe and follow the instructions that appear on the console screen.
- It is recommended that you start a new game to make full use of this mod's features.
Component: Warlock Kit
- (Steam version) C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
- (BeamDog version) C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00766
- (Custom installation) C:\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data
This component adds a new Thief kit called Warlock into the game.
Warlocks are masters of the dark arts, reckless mortals who draw their power from strange and sinister entities. Unlike mages, who approach magic through the medium of spells, a warlock invokes powerful magic through nothing more than an effort of will. By harnessing his dark gift through fearsome determination, a warlock can enhance his senses, beguile the weak-minded, or scour his foes with blasts of eldritch power.
- Faster Lore progression (+6/level).
- Can use a small number of innate magical abilities.
- Becomes increasingly more powerful as his powers awaken.
- Has only one weapon slot.
- Cannot use thief skills other than Detect Illusions.
- Gains no inherent backstab multiplier.
- Cannot set snares.
The warlock kit comes with a custom script (WARLOCK0) which can be set for any warlock character through the customize menu on the character screen.
A warlock using this script will automatically use Devil's Sight and Shadow Armor if the invocations are not currently active.
By default, a warlock will be aggressive in combat, using his offensive invocations, alternating between Brimstone Ray and Eldritch Blast unless the enemies' resistances are too high. He will attempt to use his abilities as safely as possible, though he might still hit some of his allies if the positioning changes significantly after he begins invoking his powers.
If enemies are within weapon range, the warlock will also attack with his weapon between invocations to make full use of his combat actions.
If switched to defensive mode, the warlock will use Detect Illusions when possible. He will defend himself if attacked and if the enemy is in range, otherwise he will withdraw to a safer distance. Use this mode if you find that the warlock is causing too much collateral damage with his invocations and would like to control him manually instead.
By switching stealth mode on, the warlock will use his Walk Unseen invocation (if available) as long as he is not currently engaged in combat.HotKeys
Component: Recruitable NPCInformation
- D: Switch Defensive mode on or off.
- S: Switch Stealth mode on or off.
- Gender: Male
- Race: Human
- Class: Warlock
- Alignment: Lawful Evil
- Area: Ulcaster (topside)
Component: Shadow Walking
- Strength: 13
- Dexterity: 16
- Constitution: 8
- Intelligence: 13
- Wisdom: 12
- Charisma: 17
Once Ayden has recovered some of his lost power, he will offer to transport the party to previously visited areas through the Plane of Shadow. This ability is provided as a simple convenience to reduce unnecessary traveling time and will be unavailable during parts of the game where the player would otherwise not be able to leave the current area. In certain cases, it may provide an alternative means of escaping (such as when the player is thrown in jail).Component: Ayden's Refuge
This component adds a new area where the party can shadow walk to once Ayden regains his powers. Ayden's Refuge is a small pocket plane created by the warlock before being imprisoned and serves as a safe place to rest and store items.
Component: Item Crafting
Note: As with shadow walking, this optional component serves merely as a convenience and adds little narrative value overall. If it doesn't suit your play style, you do not need to worry about missing out on anything major.
This component enables item crafting via the forge inside Ayden's Refuge. In order to craft items, Ayden must have recovered a sufficient portion of his power. After that, you can interact with the forge to view crafting recipes and craft items.
Some additional items have also been added to various vendors across the Sword Coast in order to more easily facilitate the crafting process. These mostly include mundane crafting components that would otherwise be hard to obtain (but should not be).
Component: Wands for Thieves
Note: This component is optional. If it doesn't suit your play style or you feel it adversely affects the balance of the game, you can skip it at installation (or ignore the forge in the Refuge).
This simple component will enable the use of wands for all thief kits (including warlocks) if they meet the ability requirements.
Component: Thief Proficiencies
Note: This will change the usability flags for all wands (including modded ones) that are available at the time of installation.
This component will change the configuration so that all thieves and thief kits can gain (at least) 1 point in spear or mace proficiency, like warlock. This should facilitate the use of light maces and certain spears.
Note: This will change the proficiency flags for all thief kits (including modded ones) that are available at the time of installation.
- There is currently no way to replace the useless buttons on the action bar.
- The level up screen will only show +3 lore gained due to engine limitations.
- Teleporting to areas could potentially fail to trigger certain story-related game scripts.
- Ayden seems to have rapidly aged several decades between different versions.
- Due to engine shenanigans, Energy Resistance is only granted if the party AI is turned on.
- Some crafting components may share the icon and/or name with an entirely invalid item.
The mod might be incompatible with any mods that drastically change the game's file stucture and/or story flow (like BGT, etc.).Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: Furret has left the area! Can I still recruit Ayden?
A: Furret has decided to visit a nearby halfling town. You can find him there.Q: Ayden's skills have disappeared! How can I get them back?
A: That is a side effect of skill cooldown. They will reappear in due time.Q: Ayden keeps hitting my party members with his Brimstone Blast. What can I do?
A: Switch him to defensive mode and use his abilities manually.Q: I started a new game in Siege of Dragonspear. Can I recruit Ayden somewhere?
A: Currently, not without using the console. This might change in future versions.Special Thanks
Special thanks to Westley Weimer, Valerio Bigiani (The Bigg), and Fredrik Lindgren (Wisp) for creating and updating WeiDU.
Eternal glory to Avenger for giving us DLTCEP. Most of this mod's game files were created with the use of his editor.
Salutations to John Olav Hauglid and the rest of the team for their work on Near Infinity. We'd be lost without it.
A shout out to Glenn Flansburg and Andrew Bridges for their BAM editing software.
Thanks to Razfallow for his Teleport mod and for allowing me to make use of it as part of this project.
A very special thanks to all my beta testers for helping me keep this mod bug-free and balanced.
A huge thank you to Skye for helping with the research and a lot of the legwork.Copyright Notice
All original materials in this mod are © Keneth O'Connor. Please contact me if you wish to make use of anything.
WeiDU is released under GPL. The latest version of WeiDU can be downloaded here
Several original (unmodified) BAM icons were extracted from Icewind Dale 2 and are a copyright of Atari.
Additional (unmodified) BAM icons were extracted from Planescape: Torment — Enhanced Edition and are a copyright of Beamdog.
The warlock class concept, as well as the City of Shade source material, are a copyright of Wizards of the Coast.
Some of the map assets were copied from Pillars of Eternity and are a copyright of Obsidian Entertainment.
The Baelnorn portrait was painted by Anastasya Zakharova. You can find her art over at nodens.artstation.com
- General improvements.
- Additional crafting recipes.
- New curse eater abilities for SoD items.
- New features for Ayden's Refuge.
- Invocation selection screen.
- New quest for Siege of Dragonspear.
- More easily available gemstones.
- Character voice-over?