Skip to content

Android 12 Save files location and access

Comments

• PyrotechnicalPyrotechnical Member Posts: 4
    Unfortunately no change. Looks like this problem has been around at least since 2021 and possibly earlier.
  • StarymStarym Member Posts: 1
    This is ridiculous... this problem is years old at this point and still not addressed. I just want to copy my save over from my PC game. Why is this still not addressed?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    It's still on our to-do list, sorry for the wait.
  • specter597specter597 Member Posts: 16
    Just bought a new phone. So sad.

On my old phone I had Drop sync set to auto sync saves between PC/Tablet/Phone. I was able to kick evildoers collective butts on any device.

I can't even move my old saves anymore.

Android 13 / Pixel 7 now and just like everyone else, Beamdog folders are completely inaccessible. Solid Explorer updated their APKs in April for the new folder protocols and I can access all ../Data folders for all apps on my phone without root .... Except BeamDog.

:(

Hoping for a fix to my favorite game.
  • gregorytgregoryt Member Posts: 2
    Any time line on the fix? I've stopped playing my game due to the issue cause I've put several hours and don't want them to go to waste!
  • EterathEterath Member Posts: 5
    Hey all, been lurking here off and on for some time and just came across this thread and felt the need to create an account. I'm surprised this is such a vocal issue to be honest. Of course, in my isolated little bubble, could mean nothing. I had this problem and may have found my own solution. (Note my word choice here is very much pointing to a Your Mileage May Vary)

First, a quick note: I do have developer options enabled on my phone. However, I only enable this to alter UI speeds. (Transition animation scale set to .5x for any who are interested) I do not think this is required as I don't enable anything else like USB debugging. Also, this is a slightly older phone nowadays. (Note 10+)
    1. Step one: Plug phone in via USB. (In my case USB C to USB 3.0 on PC.)
    2. Step two: Open File Explorer and go to my phone. (If it says empty or what have you, make sure your phone is unlocked. If not, unplug and plug back in) KEEP YOUR SCREEN ON
    3. Step three: navigate to This PC\{YourPhoneHere}\Internal storage\Android\data\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\files
      Also usable with:
      • com.beamdog.icewinddale\files
      • com.beamdog.nwnandroid\files
      • com.beamdog.pstee\files

4. Step four: HURRY because this part always feels time sensitive. I only ever seem to be able to copy ONE set of files/folders at a time. Anything after just causes error sounds and nothing actually completes. Meaning start over at Step one.

Hopefully this helps someone. Doing this, I was able to completely deck out an IWD party and I've been bouncing my BG2 save from PC to Android from time to time over the last year or so. Just remember, if it's a blank folder, time ran out and you gotta start over.
    Hey all, been lurking here off and on for some time and just came across this thread and felt the need to create an account. I'm surprised this is such a vocal issue to be honest. Of course, in my isolated little bubble, this could mean nothing. I had this problem and may have found my own solution. (Note my word choice here is very much pointing to a Your Mileage May Vary)

First, a quick note: I do have developer options enabled on my phone. However, I only enable this to alter UI speeds. (Transition animation scale set to .5x for any who are interested) I do not think this is required as I don't enable anything else like USB debugging. Also, this is technically an older device now. (Note 10+)
    1. Step one: Plug phone in via USB. (In my case USB C to USB 3.0 on PC.)
    2. Step two: Open File Explorer and go to my phone. (If it says empty or what have you, make sure your phone is unlocked. If not, unplug and plug back in) KEEP YOUR SCREEN ON AND UNLOCKED
    3. Step three: navigate to This PC\{YourPhoneHere}\Internal storage\Android\data\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\files
      Also usable with:
      • com.beamdog.icewinddale\files
      • com.beamdog.nwnandroid\files
      • com.beamdog.pstee\files

4. Step four: HURRY because this part always feels time sensitive. I only ever seem to be able to copy ONE set of files/folders at a time. Anything after just causes error sounds and nothing actually completes. Meaning start over at Step one.

Hopefully this helps someone. Doing this, I was able to completely deck out an IWD party and I've been bouncing my BG2 save from PC to Android from time to time over the last year or so. Just remember, if it's a blank folder, time ran out and you gotta start over.
  • FalconXC4FalconXC4 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for your message Eterath, but indeed this is doable on old devices (running old Android version). The problem most of us is facing is that it is impossible to export/import BG saves from the newer Android version...
    PS: Issue seemed to appear from android 11
    FalconXC4 wrote: »
    PS: Issue seemed to appear from android 11

I could see that, but as my phone is currently on Android 12, I thought to offer the suggestion.

That's also not to say I dont have some other setting enabled somewhere (one I'm currently unaware of) that gives me the access.
    :o In this case then yes, it would be interesting to know exactly what is enabled on your phone to be able to do it. Thank you very much
  • LordElfoLordElfo Member Posts: 3
    Same problem here... Have a S23 Ultra and cant access my save files to share between Android x PC...
    I give permission but cant access folders...
    Is there any plans for a tool or option to share save and characters ?
    Maybe creating a tool only for import x export could help us if Android (Or Samsung) is protecting app folders....
    Or changing app save option to starting saving in a external folder.
  • avbitranavbitran Member Posts: 5
    I have a pixel 7 android 13 tried to mod Baldur's Gate 2 and things looked fine until I had to edit the data folder of the game. Same issue as everyone, folder appears empty. I tried to do many many things to solve it, I even enabled developer mode and used something called ADB to try to gain access to this folder but no dice. I glad I at least found this thread because I was very frustrated and sure I did something wrong.
  • sincerossinceros Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 6
    Just asking again, as it has been a few months: Any Updates at all???
  • CommiadesCommiades Member Posts: 2
    I can access the file system in NWN, but not BG on my Samsung A8 tablet. I could access the BG save files on my Samsung A7 tablet last year. It's so irritating. I want to change sprites and portraits and I can't. I have old saved games I can't restore.
  • cloudsatcloudsat Member Posts: 25
    There is an update for the Android version a few days ago
    https://x.com/BeamdogInc/status/1719385157952586180?s=20
    I haven't tested thoroughly but it does not seem to fix the problem.

Hopefully this can be fixed soon.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    This is still on our list. We had to release an urgent update due to API requirement changes.
  • SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
    I do have the game on Android too and have played on a tablet from bed. It is cool to lay down and play but is not my thing. If the game was turn-based I would say yes that's great and convenient, but it is real-time game and awkward to play without mouse and loose precision.

Yet I can recommend if you still enjoy touch screen. Any tablet touch screen can use self-made stylus pen. Google it, there are tons of videos how to make it quite simple I made one myself when playing. Definitely makes big difference using stylus than fingers but still not satisfactory for me alas compared to K&M

• CommiadesCommiades Member Posts: 2
    For precision touch, I learned recently to pause then touch (the door or item location). This was a game changer for me.
  • sjors86sjors86 Member Posts: 3
    Still playing bg1ee, but nearing the end of it. Would be nice if I can move over character to bg2, won't buy bg2 ee until this problem is fixed. Can't be that hard to export to and import from Gdrive for example, lots of other games having such an option.
  • zlanesiderszlanesiders Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am just posting to say that I am still hoping that we can gain access to our files on Android. Any updates would be wonderful. Thanks.
    It has been more than a year now, it seems that beamdog does not really care about our issue, anyway we already bought the game right? It is a shame...
  • HoboJoe0858HoboJoe0858 Member Posts: 36
    December 2023. Still nothing. I just tried it for the first time in my S23 and the folders were unaccessible to me, while I can access them just fine on my Tab A7.
  • 0xmatix0xmatix Member Posts: 3
    Another year has passed and still nothing - Can we at least see a backlog of tasks to be done? When can we expect update on this?
  • sincerossinceros Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 6
    Remarkable that this has not been fixed yet. Truly disappointing. This game is now essentially unplayable, as I always do full runs.
  • PyrotechnicalPyrotechnical Member Posts: 4
    They spent a year denying it was an issue, then insisting there was a fix despite clear evidence to the contrary, a year saying "yeah we are totally gonna fix this," and now they are just ghosting the thread.

Yeah, pretty sure beamdog has no interest in addressing this.
  • zlanesiderszlanesiders Member Posts: 3
    I have a suspicion that the fix would in some way break something else, possibly something with the saves between games making them have to fix multiple games. I dunno...
  • MatthewYMatthewY Member Posts: 2
    It's pretty obvious at this point that they don't care about the people that have paid them for their games. They've had years to fix this. They don't care.

I, personally, will never give beamdog any money ever again as it's obvious they don't give a crap about the people who pay them
  • MatthewYMatthewY Member Posts: 2
    To follow up, it's been four or five years since the fold series has been out and they still haven't fixed the issue with the bg series on the fold.
  • RaxinRaxin Member Posts: 4
    I recently picked up Icewind Dale again on my tablet. I get that Android permissions have changed over the years, so I can't restore my save files. But I also understand that changes need to be prioritised. And how many/few of us have this issue, or care about it? Probably not many.