Skip to content

Android 12 Save files location and access

13»

Comments

• cpinheircpinheir Member Posts: 1
    edited January 12
    I have an idea for a potential workaround, but am too lazy to try (I still have an Android 6 tablet, so I will fall back to that to play BGEE). But I have tried this workaround on another Android app that was suffering similar problems due to scoping changes introduced in Android 11, and it did work there. Basically, you need to obtain the APK for BGEE, and modify the manifest file inside the APK to add the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission. Beamdog COULD do that themselves, BUT they probably chose not to, because Google has been banning apps from Play market that have this permission set in the manifest. Look for the free tool APK Studio Editor, this tool allows you to decompile, edit, recompile APKs.....this is all you need to edit the manifest file. After modifying the APK as I have described, simply install BGEE from your recompiled APK. If this doesn't work, the other thing you could do until Beamdog fixes the problem is install the game on BlueStacks or Nox, which I believe is still using Android 6 or 7 for emulation.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    We're sorry that the fix is taking so much time. As you probably know, we were hit by Embracer restructuring in 2023, so our resources are limited. This is still on our radar though, but no ETA. We have to manage between different (and multiple) tasks and targets.

For example, updating PST on Android is a bigger priority (as the game is delisted entirely).
  • zlanesiderszlanesiders Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the update. I for one do appreciate that it isn't a forgotten issue.
  • RaxinRaxin Member Posts: 4
    edited January 16
    cpinheir wrote: »
    I have an idea for a potential workaround, but am too lazy to try (I still have an Android 6 tablet, so I will fall back to that to play BGEE). But I have tried this workaround on another Android app that was suffering similar problems due to scoping changes introduced in Android 11, and it did work there. Basically, you need to obtain the APK for BGEE, and modify the manifest file inside the APK to add the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission. Beamdog COULD do that themselves, BUT they probably chose not to, because Google has been banning apps from Play market that have this permission set in the manifest. Look for the free tool APK Studio Editor, this tool allows you to decompile, edit, recompile APKs.....this is all you need to edit the manifest file. After modifying the APK as I have described, simply install BGEE from your recompiled APK. If this doesn't work, the other thing you could do until Beamdog fixes the problem is install the game on BlueStacks or Nox, which I believe is still using Android 6 or 7 for emulation.

I managed to access and restore my save files by using the built-in AOSP app. I just had to install the shortcut app to get access to it. Then open new window from the menu, open the two instances side by side, and drag and drop. This seems to bypass the permissions issue. Credit to Reddit.
  • clownboxclownbox Member Posts: 1
    Hi Raxin, how did you manage to use the built-in AOSP app to do this?
  • 0xmatix0xmatix Member Posts: 3
    Raxin wrote: »
    cpinheir wrote: »

I managed to access and restore my save files by using the built-in AOSP app. I just had to install the shortcut app to get access to it. Then open new window from the menu, open the two instances side by side, and drag and drop. This seems to bypass the permissions issue. Credit to Reddit.

Please provide more details how to do it.
    edited February 2
    @clownbox , @0xmatix, I used the below app. It just creates a shortcut to the built-in AOSP app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.files&hl=en&gl=US

Under the three dots menu select 'New window'. It will open another instance of the app. Then depending on your device open the two instances side by side. On my Tab S6 Lite I did this under the three bars button next to my home button and dragging the two instances left and right respectively. On the one side, go to Android/data/com.beamdog.icewinddale/files/save (or Baldur's Gate). If you long press on an item it will select it. Select everything you want to move and then long press again, which will allow you to drag it from the one window to the other one.
    gnmkyeab3kzr.jpg
  • 0xmatix0xmatix Member Posts: 3
    @clownbox , @0xmatix, I used the below app. It just creates a shortcut to the built-in AOSP app.

Under the three dots menu select 'New window'. It will open another instance of the app. Then depending on your device open the two instances side by side. On my Tab S6 Lite I did this under the three bars button next to my home button and dragging the two instances left and right respectively. On the one side, go to Android/data/com.beamdog.icewinddale/files/save (or Baldur's Gate). If you long press on an item it will select it. Select everything you want to move and then long press again, which will allow you to drag it from the one window to the other one.
    gnmkyeab3kzr.jpg

If you are using Tab S6 Lite then you have old Android version I assume. What is yours? On old Android versions there is no problem with accessing beamdog folder
  • ryancryanc Member Posts: 7
    Has the issue been resolved are we able to edit our save files yet? This is ridiculous
  • abarnes4abarnes4 Member Posts: 2
    We're sorry that the fix is taking so much time. As you probably know, we were hit by Embracer restructuring in 2023, so our resources are limited. This is still on our radar though, but no ETA. We have to manage between different (and multiple) tasks and targets.

For example, updating PST on Android is a bigger priority (as the game is delisted entirely).

Also wondering if there is any kind of update. Many of us have now been waiting literally years to get back the ability to import and/or edit save games and characters.
  • EterathEterath Member Posts: 5
    Alas, I have officially joined the rest of you since my last post. Having upgraded from my Note 10+ to the S24 Ultra, I too can no longer access the saved files. And I have tried many options. (Funny enough, I can access NWN but not BG/IWD)

I've spent around two days trying to find a way, and I've merely gotten close. Just the edge of the "Files" folder. Or inside it where it says it's "Empty" though I call it a liar.. as my saves did transfer from my old phone to the new.

I will continue my search and if I discover one, this will be the first thread to hear it.
    0xmatix wrote: »

gnmkyeab3kzr.jpg

If you are using Tab S6 Lite then you have old Android version I assume. What is yours? On old Android versions there is no problem with accessing beamdog folder

Sorry I missed this post. Tab S6 Lite updated to Android 13.
  • yminaleyminale Member Posts: 2
    I finally succeeded in transferring my old save files on a Samsung Tab S7 FE (android 13). Should work on Android 14. You don't not need root access
    1. Use the Shizuku (wireless ADB) with FV File editor. You can use use google to find out how to set it up or use YouTube.
    2. This is the MOST IMPORTANT part. Uninstall BG and then reinstall BUT DO NOT OPEN THE GAME. I Repeat DO NOT OPEN THE GAME. What's going on is the read/write permission to directory will be disabled when you start BG for the first time. If you try afterwards, Shizuku will disconnect.

Supposedly Beamdog knew about problem in NOV 2022 and "haven't gotten around to fix it"

Enjoy.
  • EterathEterath Member Posts: 5
    edited March 14
    This is a good start, yminale. I do see one larger issue. You can import to BG1 but not back out to PC or export to BG2/SOD.

Again, better than nothing at all. Just a few remaining hurdles.

Edit: You don't need to uninstall, just clear cache and data. Also I do have the option to copy the folder -back out-. So import/export is possible. Just tedious.
  • yminaleyminale Member Posts: 2
    Eterath wrote: »
    This is a good start, yminale. I do see one larger issue. You can import to BG1 but not back out to PC or export to BG2/SOD.

Again, better than nothing at all. Just a few remaining hurdles.

Edit: You don't need to uninstall, just clear cache and data. Also I do have the option to copy the folder -back out-. So import/export is possible. Just tedious.

Thanks for the feedback. Someone mention trying your method but it didn't work for me.
  • specter597specter597 Member Posts: 16

Sorry that you all got caught up in the restructuring. Thanks for the update. They are great games and the work BeamDog did on them was great. Hang in there.