Skip to content

[Workaround] Unpausing multiplayer game doesn't work

DurlachionDurlachion Member Posts: 82
edited February 2013 in Fixed
Original post (FIXED with patch 1.0.2009)
Trouble unpausing your multiplayer game after sleeping at expensive inns or in a creepy dungeon? Bored from mosquito bites and roots stabbing in your back?

I can happily confirm that it works just perfectly to:
Copy the rest.wbm (at location X:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\movies) twice and rename those copies to:

- restinn.wbm
- restdung.wbm

This should play the same video clip for inns, dungeons and the wilderness and also unpause the game afterwards... and at the next patch day, the missing movies are hopefully finished ;-)

If you spot another area where there is missing a video, just post it here.

Kudos @Dalsd (and other ones I missed but already posted the workaround)
I thought, a discussion starting with "[Workaround]" is more eye-catching ;)

Update 04.12.2012 (FIXED? with patch 1.0.2012)
Good Guy @Grieg spotted some more missing videos that could lead to the same error (but without even having to rest). It occurs whenever an ingame day-to-night or night-to-day switch happens that is accompanied by a missing video sequence. To temporarily fix this, copy the rest.wbm or another more adequate video (at location X:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\movies) twice and rename those copies to:

- daynite.wbm
- niteday.wbm

Just to give a complete overview: The following files are also called by the BG:EE scripts, but missing. However they did NOT trigger a pause at my multiplayer session test with myself and hence you do not have to duplicate those files, too. You won't even notice a bug without them, but if you have some cool webm files on your pc, you can place them in the movies folder as well - maybe the original BG ones, after you converted them (see Update 06.12. below)

- palace.wbm (AR0108)
- dungeon.wbm (AR0111)
- bhaal.wbm (AR0125)
- sewer.wbm (AR0224, AR0225, AR0226)
- durlag.wbm (AR0500)
- ironthrn.wbm (AR0616)
- wyvern.wbm (AR1700)
- cndlkeep.wbm (AR2608)
- gnoll.wbm (AR5100)
- beregost.wbm (AR3300) (the start movie command is missing in AR3300.BCS)

Update 06.12.2012:

For those of you that want at least the original BG1/BG2 movies until the new movies are delivered (which will be -considering the patch release frequency the last days- very soon)
Download from the links below all archives you find useful (I hope this works) and extract them to: X:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\movies\

BGwbm1.rar (5.3 MB) contains the (for multiplayer absolutely necessary) files restdung.wbm, restinn.wbm, daynite.wbm and niteday.wbm.

BGwbm2.rar (37 MB) contains missing videos that however are still called by the BG:EE engine and played as soon as you put them in the movies directory: see Update 04.12.2012 above
It does NOT contain the BGwbm1.rar files - maybe I should have pointed this out earlier...

BGwbm3.rar (50 MB) contains the unlocalized (that means for example: no intro), original movie sequences from which you've already seen the remaked versions... The player death video sequence, for example. It does NOT neither contain BGwbm1.rar files nor BGwbm2.rar files. Personally, I think downloading this package would be absolutely useless - the next time the launcher checks for broken/missing files it will simply redownload and overwrite them... But who am I to judge?
"Pestering strangers about their mental state doesn't seem
all that well adjusted to me." -- CHARNAME

Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• StorsorgenStorsorgen Member Posts: 1
    Me and a friend encountered a problem where if you try to rest at the Friendly Arm Inn while playing a multiplayer game, the game will pause and you will be unable to unpause it, forcing you to reload from a previous save.
    The problem is verified to occur when resting at all pricing ranges.
  • CatraCatra Member Posts: 2
    Me as well Multiplayer resting is bugged Unable to unpause after resting at Any inn seems to be
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    What sort of permissions do you have set? (Under permissions in the Character Arbitration menu)
  • quairlzrquairlzr Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2012
    During a multiplayer game, the game pauses, giving the message "Paused for movie" when neither player is experiencing one. (This happens consistently during/after fighting the hobgoblins for the flamedance ring quest). At this point, nothing can be done. Both players can usually pause/unpause, but not in this situation. The only choice is to disconnect and reload.
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • Snowblindn3ssSnowblindn3ss Member Posts: 16
    Have the same issue. Cannot rest in any inn ;(
    I'm the host, so I don't know what difference do the permissions make, but I gave all permissions to my friend.
  • AdriansEdgeAdriansEdge Member Posts: 1
    My friend and I are experiencing this exact same issue. Have tried the following (and every combination therein):

Resting without any permissions turned on.
    Resting with all permissions turned on.
    Resting at all price ranges.
    Shifting control to one person.
    Resting at different inns.
    Resting Outside.

It requires the player who DID NOT initiate the rest sequence to disconnect from the game, at which time the game resumes immediately for the player still in game.
  • jmakula87jmakula87 Member Posts: 7
    Yeah, my buddy and I haven't had any issues sleeping outside, but in inns and in the Nashkel mines, we are having issues.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I would like to know how you join at all. I have ALL tcp and udp ports wide open and it crashes every time I try to join a MP session.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    Edwin said:

I would like to know how you join at all. I have ALL tcp and udp ports wide open and it crashes every time I try to join a MP session.

Join the Host's IP, otherwise let them join your's.
  • CrynusCrynus Member Posts: 17
    I also have this issue any time trying to sleep, trying to do the mines quest but can't sleep, have given up for now until it gets fixed
    I can also safely sleep outside. My issue appears only when trying to sleep at any inn.
  • CrynusCrynus Member Posts: 17
    Same here, my and my friend have this issue. It seems to be a corrupt movie file or something, cause it says the game is paused for the scene but nothing happens. In single player I can rest there but no video plays
  • darksreaphimdarksreaphim Member Posts: 1
    Confirmed this as well. Only way we can rest inside an Inn is to follow AdriansEdge's solution and have your friend reconnect and reassign them their character.
  • ArcadorArcador Member Posts: 22
    I confirm as well.

2 player multiplayer game - INN Rests are getting us stuck with unpausable game. According to the game we are "resting" - i.e. stuck in resting mode.

Resting outside - no problems
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Is there the movie missing they didn't remake despite announced? Even forgotten to make the script skip the missing movie? What a shame.
  • ArcadorArcador Member Posts: 22
    Sese79 - this is an assumption. You base your response to an assumption which we don't know if it's true. It may be related to a video clip, or it may not.

Now you ASSUME there is a movie, then you ASSUME, they missed adding, then you ASSUME they skipped updated the game for the missing movie.

Dude, seriously? Stacking assumption and then reacting upon this is lame.
    There were movies for resting, and others told in another topic, that they could see the message video loading. If they have right than this is triple fail: not only the movies are cut out, and no new ones added (despite of promised and advertised), they missed to correct the script or put a placeholder in there.
  • KyuushiKyuushi Member Posts: 3
    My brother and I stopped playing at Nashkel Mines due to this bug. Hope it's fixed real soon, we're looking forward to playing the game~
    Update to my previous comment: I also couldn't rest in Nashkel mines, so I think the issue appears indoors in general. Haven't played enough to check it in other caves etc.
    Will say more when I know more.
  • DimitrDimitr Member Posts: 1
    Actually after I copied rest.wbm and renamed it to restinn.wbm then placed in movies folder movie sequence for resting in inn is played (of course in this case the same one as resting in wilderness). I dont know if this resolves the problem (if each player do this), because my buddy is not available right now. Tell me if this works.
  • KildorKildor Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2012
    Anyone else having this issue? I can rest in a dungeon but then I am unable to unpause or save, it says I can not save at this time, or during a movie. wtf....
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It would make sense if it's the lack of a movie that makes the unpausing impossible. In BG1, all sleep sequences used to be the camp tent, in BG2 it was improved to dungeon and inn as well. But in BGEE, we get just a cinematic when resting outside. Definitely something to ponder about.
    Arcador said:

Sese79 - this is an assumption. You base your response to an assumption which we don't know if it's true. It may be related to a video clip, or it may not.

Now you ASSUME there is a movie, then you ASSUME, they missed adding, then you ASSUME they skipped updated the game for the missing movie.

Dude, seriously? Stacking assumption and then reacting upon this is lame.

@Arcador: See? :)
  • DalsdDalsd Member Posts: 11
    When trying to rest in dungeon or at inn the game doesn't start playing the resting video. This leads to a problem when playing a multiplayer game. After resting the game stucks on pause. Resting works fine when playing alone, though no video is played then either. When resting outside, the camp fire video loads, and the pause is gone when both players have finished watching the video.
  • podpity_joepodpity_joe Member Posts: 21
    I went to Beregost to Feldepost's Inn and rented a room. I can't unpause the game after that. I can issue commands, check inventory and such, but the game is impossible to play.
  • podpity_joepodpity_joe Member Posts: 21
    Problem seems to lie with the cutscene that doesnt appear when renting a room and the game waits for it to finish, but it never does. When I sleep outside there's a tent and a campfire and I wake up just fine.
  • WileWile Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    Happens to me too, I can only rest outdoors. Resting in inns or for example at naskhel mines leads to a situation where you can't unpause the game because the game claims that there is a cutscene running. I however am not see any cutscenes or anything.

Edit: only thing I can do in this situation is to load a previous save.
  • DalsdDalsd Member Posts: 11
    Dimitr said:

Actually after I copied rest.wbm and renamed it to restinn.wbm then placed in movies folder movie sequence for resting in inn is played (of course in this case the same one as resting in wilderness). I dont know if this resolves the problem (if each player do this), because my buddy is not available right now. Tell me if this works.

This seems to work for me too, haven't tested it in a multiplayer yet. But I made another copy and named it restdungeon.wbm. This makes the game crash when resting at Nashkel Mines.
  • DurlachionDurlachion Member Posts: 82
    @Dalsd:
    Maybe "restdung.wbm" will work - at least thats how it is named in BG II... However, not tested by myself. So feedback would be great :-)
    Dalsd said:

When trying to rest in dungeon or at inn the game doesn't start playing the resting video.

Because there is non? Because they deleted it before they made a new? And after all this fail they forgot to create a placeholder for it or to change the script? :(