Skip to content

Gnoll Stronghold...

Comments

• unfortunate_oneunfortunate_one Member Posts: 44
    This is such a bad-ass idea. Is there a person here who didn't try to find an entrance to that hold before you found dynahir in the pit?
    Syntia13
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I don't think there is a single person here that didn't @unfortunate_one.
    Syntia13ARKdeEREH
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    @mch202 Good idea!! :-)
  • noobernoober Member Posts: 1
    congratulations that idea i brilliant guys :)
    It hass been quite a while since I played BG1
    unfurtunally I'm just unable to find the CD again :)

what do you think about an Labirinth?
    And for the enemys ?Is just expanding the gnoll theme possible?(sorry for my lack of knowledge concerning the gnoll culture ^^ are inteligent gnolls or even gnoll mages possible?)
    apart from that I think a demon could take the part of the boss (forgotten realms wiki says gnolls ar somehow demonic too)
    I also concidered basislisks as very badass :)
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    dont know about gnoll mages but shamans yes. And they must have a decent level of inteligence and wisdom to perform their spells and lead/ manipulate a whole wild gnoll clan or not?!
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    as was said in the first page:
    The castle was simply found in ruins one day, with its servants simply gone, with no trace of Dinkamus himself... most mysteriously mystifying, wouldn't you say?"
    which mean what ever is beneath the castle, its not gnoll or gnoll mages ;-)

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I approve this idea. A lot.
    @IchigoRXC

You sure did brought this thread from its grave ;-)
    IchigoRXClordkim
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    It's a good idea! Keep it alive, zombie thread loves on! :)
    mch202
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    Dinkamus lives!!!!!
    mch202
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Haha, looking forward to this, if it's possible.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    mch202 said:

@IchigoRXC

You sure did brought this thread from its grave ;-)

I sure did. I play a Necromancer you see. ;)

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    If they did an evil undead thingy, this could explain why no doors- the gnolls bricked them up to keep it inside. As for the windows, maybe the aboveground parts are partially collapsed from inside, so if you get in through a window, there is no way you can go anywhere but a small part of the upper parts. But if you use the secret magical door the gnolls never found, you can access the lower levels...
    SwordsNotWordsLordRumfish
    edited July 2012
    LadyRhian said:

If they did an evil undead thingy, this could explain why no doors- the gnolls bricked them up to keep it inside. As for the windows, maybe the aboveground parts are partially collapsed from inside, so if you get in through a window, there is no way you can go anywhere but a small part of the upper parts. But if you use the secret magical door the gnolls never found, you can access the lower levels...

@LadyRhian - Actually in original concept art, there were doors in gnoll stronghold:

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ad_d/bg/art/bg026.jpg

Scooter
    @mch202- I get the little "?" thing, and if I try to open the linked file in another window, it gives me a 404 error.
    fixed :)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited July 2012
    @LadyRhian : I did some short search on Google and came up with this :

This is probably what @mch202 was pointing at? I am not sure.
    Edit : notice the "ext" (exterior) on the name of the picture. I bet they were planning on an interior at first.
    mch202scriver

@LadyRhian : I did some short search on Google and came up with this :

This is probably what @mch202 was pointing at? I am not sure.
    Edit : notice the "ext" (exterior) on the name of the picture. I bet they were planning on an interior at first.

Yep.. nice!! didnt notice it before.

edited July 2012
    Still showing up as the "?", but that other "Open in New Window" works. And yes, all they would have to do is change that to just make one of the entrances viable. Maybe a gnoll shaman is doing a ritual, something goes wrong and, voila! Entrance appears. (Cue gnolls bugging out and going "I'm getting the heck out of Dodge!" or similar in gnoll-speak.)

That's something else I'd like to see implemented- being able to choose languages to speak (based on your intelliegence score) at the beginning of the game, and having a (written) translation of what creatures are saying if you know the language. It's not like your character doesn't have an excuse for this, being raised in Candlekeep, essentially a big library. So if you know gnoll, when things start going south, you hear gnollish, but on the screen you see (in a different font or italics, or what have you depending on how it was done) "The evil thing! The evil thing can escape/will come! Run!"
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    I agree this fortress needs to be expanded, but it might not happen until after release.
    @wariisop

Yeah Trent said the same thing in page 1 of this discussion... :-)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If it gets requested enough we`ll probably see it as a DLC... didn`t Trent say it`s an interesting idea?
    mlnevese said:

If it gets requested enough we`ll probably see it as a DLC... didn`t Trent say it`s an interesting idea?

@mlnevese Yep.. In the first page of this discussion :)
  • DuranDuran Member Posts: 15
    Would love to an interior for the Gnoll Fortress. It is a huge fortress and when I first time I played BG I spent hours trying to find a way inside only to realize there was entrance. Would love to see this as a dlc later on :)
    mch202
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Big support for this. I guess I'm kind of an old school gamer in that I want a payout for exploring an area. The Gnoll Stronghold gave you this mythic setting, a compelling motivation (Dynaheir's rescue) but underwhelming opponents, no real boss fight and a lot of unanswered questions. First time I was there, I searched every nook and cranny hooking for more...I found a Book of Charisma +1, but would have preferred a storyline hook instead!
    mch202
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    The question is, though, how would it be done? The Gnoll's Stronghold is already a low-level area (definitely a Chapter 2 quest). Should it be a low-level interior, as well?
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    @MilesBeyond Makes sense for it to be much later than chapter 2. A "Return to the Gnoll Fortress" quest, if you have Dynaheir or Edwin in party (need an event in Baldur's Gate to trigger it, like a found book.) If the book is found in Durlag's Tower, that would explain why the Gnolls have sealed the doors so well, it's very very dangerous.
    Syntia13SwordsNotWords

The question is, though, how would it be done? The Gnoll's Stronghold is already a low-level area (definitely a Chapter 2 quest). Should it be a low-level interior, as well?

Well they can create a warded door which can be opened only later on, with a quest. :-)

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Haha I almost forgot, this was a homage to a classic RPG. Dinkamus Littlelog and Dink Smallwood, I don't think I need to spell out the similarity. It's a game with the same name, Dink Smallwood. Fun game, good times! It is also now free to download and play. If they are to create a quest or whatever for Gnoll's Stronghold, at least stick to what they did...pay more homage and tie them up to that classic game.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I always wondered if there were more long legged women they were hiding in that keep, or if we foun them all. ;D