Skip to content

Shaman class, why people think its bad?

Yo, i have seen so many people claiming shaman is bad etc. But i just tried him myself and for me he is inzanly good…

I think people are trying out the dance and automaticly thinks shaman is bad. But the dance barely needs to be used. Actually dancing on a shaman is a waste of time unless you run dry of spells or summons.
There is only a few scenarios where the dance is relevant…

But what the shaman has is a very flexible spellcasting! You can freely cast out of ur selected spells. And you dont miss any spells, cause not every spell is good each level…. On top of this after HLA is maxed you have 13 level 7 casts instead of 6 which a druid got…

Ranged 1-6 for which should be picked first, ofc depends if ur solo or with team. Solo players may need harm more than they need invisibility forexample.

I did the mistake to not start out as a half orc.
A half orc solo play shaman will end up something like this after books:
20str
19dex
20conc
10intellect
15 wisdom
10-15charisma

On top of this bhaalpower will in the end Max out str/dex/conc to 25.

On legacy of bhaal difficulty:

So, in the start a bow or sling + knife or axe in combi with doom/entangle will make you able to sling down certain key enemies like shaol the siren.

Drizzt will easy go down if you cast magic res + just rain down call of Lightning from urself and nymphs. The nymphs can also stun him with hold person, and you can use harm to bring him down to 1HP. Hitting him when stunned is easy anyway.

Karoug the greater werewolf will also go down easy. There are 2-3 ways to kill him:
He has 100% magic res and repl faster than most things can damage him.
But casting magic res on him + stunning him with nymphs is a great start.
Then you can try theese 3 things:
1. 5 nymphs + urself rain down call of Lightning on him.
2. Harm to bring to 1, then melee him with silver dagger.
3. USE the cursed scroll from lucky aello. You should buy all 3.

Sarevork, demon in durlag tower etc could be fine targets for such scroll as well. Or save for SOD bosses.
But depending on if you play with level cap or not and which skills you pick a fireelemental can kill several hard battles on their own. Actually sarevork and that demon cannot kill a firelemental.

The violet potion should be bought and used to force open the chest with the manual of strenght. Unless you play with a thief who can open lock, or a mage with knock spell.

I think you can pretty much open any other chest in the game with bhaalpower usage. The shaman cannot drink regular strenght boosting pots.

All outdoor will be easely killed by 5 nymphs and urself using both stun and call of lightning.
Nymphs can hold monster/person and melee their way true both mines easy, only undead inside can be a issue, but lure them outside if you can. They can Even ankegg farm effectivly with hold monster + melee. And nymphs has mass cure to heal you yo whenever.
They can also charm and use enemies as cannon feed.

Traps can be survived Even in double damage modes with use of:
Armor of faith
Resist cold/fire
Lightning resist boots
Stoneskin
Cure psn bhaalpower.

Fire elementals can easy take out most thought enemies.

The druid also has a lvl 4 magic fireball albility, and a albility to increase saving throws and a albility to rid ur summons of all kind of panic/feeblemind and mind control spells to bring them back in fight.

Insect plague will make mages and invisible enemies be easy in combi with clear invisibility area spell. And nymphs also can cast 1 misscast magic each.

The use of the wizard eye spell is very good in combi with summons. You can basicly set up the fight before enemies Are ready. And you can let ur summons fight for you while ur offscreen from enemies.

Invisible people is hard to land spells on. As you cannot target them.
But insect plague can be casted on ur summons/urself without damaging them, and will spread to invisible people, and u can remove their invisibility with level 2 or 3 spell as well.

Comments

• Gel87Gel87 Member Posts: 196
    Here i made my first shaman playtrough, almost done with bgee and have 1 video not uploaded yet.

First time trying shaman, it feels great. Legacy of bhaal with all the double damage and random HP per level etc enabled.
  • YigorYigor Member Posts: 654
    edited October 17
    Basically, without any serious use of the Dance ability, U play Shaman just like Druid. 😎

I also like Shamans, but I try to use the Dance as soon as possible (for roleplaying reasons). Currently, I have a Shaman in my random SoA trio:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/88695/quick-campaigns-fully-random-trios
    Shaman can start fights in LoB from scratch (level 1, without XP farming) with the following tactics:

Entangle (to fix enemies) + Shamanic dance! 👯‍♀️

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/88036/list-of-kits-able-to-start-at-lob-difficulty-with-regular-not-cheesy-tactics
    Gel87 wrote: »
    I did the mistake to not start out as a half orc.
    A half orc solo play shaman will end up something like this after books:
    20str
    19dex
    20conc
    10intellect
    15 wisdom
    10-15charisma

Wait, I will quickly test a minimaxed half-orc Shaman in Black Pits 1&2 (LoB from scratch). 👯‍♀️😸