Skip to content

BG EE Preview on PCGamesN

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
An interesting preview for BGEE has been posted to PCGamesN site. It's good to see BGEE is attracting reviews. It's about time this game start a bigger marketing campaign though if they hope to attract new players.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition-everything-we-know
ArveragusseekaAyurukLemernisEidolondarrenkuoBrudeWittandQuartzDemivrgvsRexfaroensisAnduineNecdilzorGun19The_New_RomanceXavioria

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Thanks for posting that @mlnevese.

Is the world map they feature in the article the official one, or a fan designed one?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2012
    @Lemernis I believe it's the official one. It's shown on the New Map thread in the forums as well
    edited October 2012
    @mlnevese re: the map thread I admit it was never clear to me whether mugwort is a Beamdog developer or a fan!

@Lemernis I think we know now, although it's strange he/she is listed as only a member to the forums...
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @sandmanCCL

Honestly, looking back at the map thread now I think that's actually a preliminary version of the new map given what mugwort actually wrote,
    Quartz
    edited October 2012
    It's the sort of thing that PR dept. (even consisting of one person) should be handling. And maybe that was the case here, for all we know. But it does sort of look like PCGamesN is just reporting on what they're able to piece together at this point... I would think otherwise we'd be likely be seeing some interview quotes in there for this article from Trent or Philip.

I mean, I'm glad to see the game getting press regardless. And it's good press.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    Quartzmlnevese
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Tanthalas said:

@sandmanCCL

Honestly, looking back at the map thread now I think that's actually a preliminary version of the new map given what mugwort actually wrote,

Even if that is the case, no one really knows for sure which means this guy is a hack journalist.

This kind of stuff is why I dropped out of the journalism department at my school and started focusing more on a technical aspect to TV/Radio stuff. It's so rampant in the industry and there's no accountability.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    I could have sworn I saw that map in a fan thread. Posters at the time criticized it for having something like a half dozen compasses and putting "Baldur's Gate" at the bottom, which makes no sense in the context of this world.

Hoping BG:EE restores the original BG map, which I've always preferred over te 2/Tutu version.
    QuartzCyricistnoodles_tooThe_New_Romance
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    It says in there that subraces, including duergar (described as dark dwarves), will be implemented for character creation. Was this officially announced?
    I honestly prefer the old map, hope it won't be changed to that colorful pretty "thingie". Besides looking amateurish, there's no real reason to implement it over the old map except a change for the sake of changing.
    QuartzCyricistnoodles_too
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Brude said:

I could have sworn I saw that map in a fan thread. Posters at the time criticized it for having something like a half dozen compasses and putting "Baldur's Gate" at the bottom, which makes no sense in the context of this world.

Hoping BG:EE restores the original BG map, which I've always preferred over te 2/Tutu version.

Well at this thread p2 mugwort claims he is working on the official map, though he dont have team BG:ee badge.. so I dont know.

lordkim
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    mugwort
    September 25 Posts: 19
    I made a huge text file with all of your suggestions and am working on it. Its already looking way better. I Will post it when its ready for more critique.. Democracy in action! Thanks to you all for the great feedback and advice, you all rock and are steering me in the right direction. And...sorry about the spelling mistakes! forgive me haha.

A joke or ??
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    If @mugwort is working on the official map he should have at least have provided a map with no typos... seriously now... :( But from an artistic pov, it looks very nice.
    lordkim said:

mugwort
    September 25 Posts: 19
    I made a huge text file with all of your suggestions and am working on it. Its already looking way better. I Will post it when its ready for more critique.. Democracy in action! Thanks to you all for the great feedback and advice, you all rock and are steering me in the right direction. And...sorry about the spelling mistakes! forgive me haha.

A joke or ??

I think this makes it pretty clear that it is a fan created map. That was my impression at the time mugwort posted it. I'll be very surprised if it turns out otherwise. Not knocking what mugwort has done, by any means. But that's just my read on the situation. Well, we'll see soon enough, I guess.
    Well, unless mugwort gets a badge or one of the developers actually confirm his work is being included, we just have to wait and see.
    QuartzsandmanCCL
    edited October 2012
    Mugwort was lying.

There's no WAY a company like Beamdog -- that's incredibly circumspect about releasing game materials -- posts offical art a week after the ship delay, from somebody nobody knows, and doesn't make it a stickied announcement.

Plus: Bad English, youthful contractions ("im" instead of "I'm", etc), a join date of Aug and no posts outside of that thread.

Honestly surprised anybody thought him or that art was legit.

Edit: This is aside from the terrible misspellings, not being familiar with BG at all, leaving several areas off the map completely, and the generally poor graphic design ("I know! I'll fill every inch of white space with compasses!").
    sandmanCCLDiscoCatCyricist
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    @Brude

well the very fact that nothing have shown since the initial layout, kinda confirms your opinion about secrecy of beamdog, that he's indeed working on a new map to be included ingame, and the very feedback given in the said post are used in some way.

It could actually be that the new map is far from the model released on these forums, but just worked as a guideline to what we fans want.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I like the review and the fact that it raises the profile of BGEE more, it was light on actual reviewing - consisting of more info that could be gleaned from these forums and Trents twitter feed then anything new.

Not sure about the new map, I like the old one and I think most people do. It seems a bit of a waste of resource for something that didn't really need to be touched IMO.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I won't make any comment on this p"review" :D
    Nor on the fan made map.
    At least, this article is not negative before the fact.
    I also am not sure about the new map. As I and others have pointed out it's strange mugwort does not have a team badge. Also, the beta testers that posted in this thread and in the original map thread clearly indicate they have not seen this map in the current beta build. Of course this is inconclusive as well, as the developers could just be waiting for a final version of the map before implementing it in the game.
    killeah said:

@Brude

well the very fact that nothing have shown since the initial layout, kinda confirms your opinion about secrecy of beamdog, that he's indeed working on a new map to be included ingame, and the very feedback given in the said post are used in some way.

It could actually be that the new map is far from the model released on these forums, but just worked as a guideline to what we fans want.

That doesn't make any sense. Beamdog proudly crows about every single piece of art they release. Oster tweets about it. They sticky it on the forums.

Besides, do you really think that Oster, one of the original developers and a man who is betting his company on BG:EE, would release a map to the fanbase that misspelled Cloakwood Mines and Nashkel?

C'mon, man.
    DiscoCat
    Brude said:

That doesn't make any sense. Beamdog proudly crows about every single piece of art they release. Oster tweets about it. They sticky it on the forums.

Actually, a lot of the time I'm the one that puts a sticky on the threads.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Honestly, I'm not sure it matters. If Mugwort is on the up and up, good for him. If he isn't, so what? He can have his delusions of grandeur, become The Fist of Goodness, run along rooftops and land in a dinner party. No skin off my back.
    mlneveseBrudezarffynAristillius
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Map aside, what I really want to know is whether these claims of subraces have been substantiated anywhere. That would be part of the IWDII engine, wouldn't it? Which is quite different...

But still I'm sure they could be added if they wanted to, only it doesn't seem to have been reported elsewhere.
    edited October 2012
    There was talk about subraces being added to the game after release.

Take a look at this thread where Phillip Daigle talks about them...

After the release we'll probably be running around fixing bugs that slipped by, and then we'll have more information about post-release features.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3599/are-there-going-to-be-subraces-in-bgee/p1

Also here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/c60q4bn
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/c60pncv
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Looking back on the map thread, did I read everything out of context?
    I thought that it was a fan made map or perhaps an alternative map someone was making for a trilogy style mod.
    Since I judged it by that standard, I thought it was pretty impressive.
    However, if that is going to be something similar to the new map, I'd be less impressed overall.
    Having said that, It is incredibly brave for an artist to submit a work which he admits isn't even close to finished up for public criticism. I mean, Wow. That has to be a first.

Infact looking back - holy shit, I skipped reading a lot of that thread.
    Link for those who are interested
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4832/updated-version-of-baldurs-gate-map/
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    Still what I wish to see is a short video about the least of the 400 bugs corrected...
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited October 2012
    I´m quite happy that this map is not an official art of BGEE. Nothing against the artist´s intentions but it looks boring, empty and the style has nothing that grabs my attention like "hell yeah, that looks interesting...gotta travel there right now". I would rate it on at 6 for 0-10! But the guy has some good skills anyway:)
    Coriander said:

As far as I know, that's not a map we'll be using.

And subraces are something we want to look at, but will probably be post ship still.

Well, that's the end of that.