Skip to content

How do-able is a No-Reload HOF run for IWD+HoW+TotLM?

Hi Guys,
As per the title, what are you opinions about running a no reload HOF for IWD+HoW+TotLM?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    edited August 2018
    It should be very possible if you select characters carefully. You gain levels quickly in HoF, so it doesn't take long until you can use summons. Once you add a regenerating bard song to those, most encounters in HoF become more of a test of patience than particularly hard in themselves.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    I have tried a solo no reload run on HoF mode. I was playing a half orc F/C. The summons really are helpfull.

I died in dragons eye to a tough lizard man I tried taking on solo.. the undead summons at level 3 where good, but the aerial servants really shine - for fun I tried the X...... fight, and the aerial servants killed her with me standing outside. No fuzz

So in all its doable with summons.

Btw @Rik_Kirtaniya wrote an article on the subject in the wild surge issue nr. 11. I guess he will be here shortly with a load of good advice.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    @StummvonBordwehr
    Solo half-orc F/C in TotLM? Those harpies are a real pain unless ofc he uses lots of sanctuary spells to avoid certain deaths.

@Grond0
    Yes, bard is very critcial in this game. Helps alot against harpies :smiley:

Then again, with no reloads, every so often comes a freak accident ruining the runs. I guess I have to stop playing whenever i start to feel sleepy ^^
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Doable, but boring as hell.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited September 2018

Btw @Rik_Kirtaniya wrote an article on the subject in the wild surge issue nr. 11. I guess he will be here shortly with a load of good advice.

I have indeed done and written about a solo Dragon Disciple run, but it was a non-HOF run.

The original question asks only about a no-reload HOF run, though it doesn't mention anything about it being a solo run, so I'm afraid the subject on which I wrote is pretty different from the question asked here, and I can't be of any significant help. :sweat_smile:

As @Raduziel said, IWD HOF is in itself pretty boring, since the only thing different about it is hypertrophied monster HPs and increased number of monsters, rather than introducing any tactical complexities or intelligent monsters. It doesn't make sense if HOF goblins have as many hitpoints as normal giants. I have heard that it is mostly a game of summons, where you stand at their back and use them as chess pieces, slowly and very tediously chewing into the enemy hordes. It tests your patience more than your skill.

If someone is looking for a real challenge, I'd suggest them to try out @OlvynChuru's Improved Heart of Fury mode when it's ready. ;)
    Post edited by Rik_Kirtaniya on
    @Raduziel + @Rik_Kirtaniya

Yup HOF is real boting, that is why "freak accidents' happed and spoled the no-reload part.
    Well, I have decided to reduced the boredom by adding a "specially" modded arrow to help reduce the boredom a little bit (I know, I know I cheated a bit *shrugged*)

Just for those who are curious about the arrow stats:

The arrow returns to the user after firing.
    Max movement rate + improved haste + never misses target

Arrow +5 (enchantment only)
    Damage: 1d6 (piercing/blunt) + 1d6 fire damage

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited September 2018
    Bubbles said:

@Raduziel + @Rik_Kirtaniya

Yup HOF is real boting, that is why "freak accidents' happed and spoled the no-reload part.
    Well, I have decided to reduced the boredom by adding a "specially" modded arrow to help reduce the boredom a little bit (I know, I know I cheated a bit *shrugged*)

Just for those who are curious about the arrow stats:

The arrow returns to the user after firing.
    Max movement rate + improved haste + never misses target

Arrow +5 (enchantment only)
    Damage: 1d6 (piercing/blunt) + 1d6 fire damage

Ha ha ha! :D Why don't you also make a "special" armour that makes you invincible to all damage and insta-kills any enemy that tries to hit you? ;)

I mean, what's the point of playing a "HOF" game if you're using such overpowered weapons that even the most elite of bosses don't have? This kind of arrow (that never misses the target, besides other overpowered stats) just makes a joke of the entire spirit of a HOF no-reload playthrough.

Playing on normal difficulty with normally available weapons poses a better challenge than this kind of playthrough. Nevertheless, it's entirely up to you how you want to play the game. But all the same, this is not what a "HOF no-reload run" is supposed to be. :D
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Bubbles If you're looking for a challenge there are some little things that can make an IWD run hard as hell:

1) Rest only where it is adequate in an RP PoV. That basically means Kuldahar, entire parts of the scenario you already cleaned or when someone can guard your party's rest.

Doing Dragon's Eye and Dorn's Deep in one push is a big challenge.

2) Restrict Ress. In my case, I can only ress a fallen companion after I finish the battle that killed him/her. That means that if I retreat I can't ress as the body is still being guarded by the enemy.

3) Random HPs.

4) No reload - especially hard in IWD due to the lack of scrolls, so failing to learn a spell really hurts (way more than in BG).
    edited September 2018
    @Rik_Kirtaniya
    Well, I added that arrow mainly because I am not bringing in a well rolled full party as a compensation to HoF terribly time draining fights and long walk to a safehouse for recuperations.

Curremt party:
    Archer - gunner
    Cavalier - Tank
    F/C - combat medic
    Cleric - para-medic
    F/T-IWD pregenerated
    Bard-IWD pregenerated
    So basically, if you noticed, the party isn't truly build to do massive all-out damage.

@Raduziel
    Yes, good RPG point here, if one can't defeat the enemy who killed 1 or more party members,, chances are one could not have carried the corpses back for raising. I usually follow this style of play too
  • IamdorfIamdorf Member Posts: 60
    Not possible at all for me. I think I would have to get very lucky to get past Yux. Beyond that just have resurrection/raise dead for those enemy crits.
    @Iamdorf
    Yux is a pretty tough nut to crack.