Skip to content

Beamdog's PAX Panel

Comments

• StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I couldn’t get the twitch stream for yesterday or today.
    Other than the nwn on Android, nothing else was revealed?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Beamdog really should have announced this in a weekly live stream. Made a big deal about something so... small (to be polite).

The lack of management skills in BD's staff never ceases to amaze me.
    Dev6Rik_KirtaniyakanisathaTimbo0o0o0
    Staran said:

I couldn’t get the twitch stream for yesterday or today.
    Other than the nwn on Android, nothing else was revealed?

The big announcement was a voice/portrait pack from a god-knows-what-stream-channel.
  • SizSiz Member Posts: 11
    All my hype is going down - I've been waiting for PAX for so long and for... THIS ? Voicesets? I play PL version of the game ! Portraits? Yeah there is 2403840293852 on the vault already.. - don't get me wrong more is always welcome but Im losing it Beamdog. The streams without Phil are boring - there is no reason to be hyped for NWN anymore. Im really disappointed - get people hyped again with at least something
    Dev6Timbo0o0o0
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    edited September 2018
    They announced verbally right at the start the disappointing news that they had to pull the main announcement lastminute - it was even in the printed press packs
    Strange

With the WaffleCrew thing-
    Let's not whip ourselves into overhyping reveals and then being horrible to Beamdog when they inevitably fail to live up to our greatest hopes, eh forum people?!
    Every company has to do marketing and try to get attention for their announcements

Im not familiar with WaffleCrew but if it brings more people and attention to the BG universe then all the better
    ThacoBellArcalianJFK
    @kungfuhobbit Beamdog brought this upon itself. They created this hype, now let they handle it.
    Dev6FlashburnTimbo0o0o0
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    Dice, Camera, Action <3
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm not super surprised. WoTC has been pushing the "Waffle Crew" a lot lately. I suspect this was mostly their idea.
    Dev6StummvonBordwehrSilverstar
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited September 2018

They announced verbally right at the start the disappointing news that they had to pull the main announcement lastminute - it was even in the printed press packs
    Strange

Wait what!

Are you saying that there IS a big(ger) announcement than the voice/portrait packs, but they had to postpone? Because if so, that is useful news to everyone in this thread. Somebody please confirm.

(Let me just add my voice to the pack for good measure; feh, voice packs, IDGAF).

Dev6
    Raduziel said:

ThacoBell said:

I'm not super surprised. WoTC has been pushing the "Waffle Crew" a lot lately. I suspect this was mostly their idea.

WoTC may push whatever they want, but all this hype is Beamdog's fault. They had a lot of Fridays to announce this and the community probably would react in a very different way.
    Unless of course WoTC specified this as a PAX reveal.

Strange

Wait what!

Are you saying that there IS a big(ger) announcement than the voice/portrait packs, but they had to postpone? Because if so, that is useful news to everyone in this thread. Somebody please confirm.

(Let me just add my voice to the pack for good measure; feh, voice packs, IDGAF).

@JuliusBorisov ?
    Dev6
    ThacoBell said:

Raduziel said:

ThacoBell said:

WoTC may push whatever they want, but all this hype is Beamdog's fault. They had a lot of Fridays to announce this and the community probably would react in a very different way.
    If that's the case, Beamdog should step up and clarify that because I'm feeling kind of stupid for organizing my day around this panel to receive this lame announcement.
    Rodrian
  • SizSiz Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2018
    They could at least finish weapon HD remake - it feels like it's done by one person in his/hers free time
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    I hoped, I hoped, but in the end, im disappointed. Cash grab time.
    Timbo0o0o0[Deleted User]
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    From our perspective that stream was at best - meh. But were we really the target audience? From the questions that their live audience asked, I think not. I think it was an opportunity to promote themselves to people who knew little of what they do and what their current projects are. Add to that the presence of a WotC person on the panel...

TR
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    I know Beamdog has been working on a strategy game from their streams so it makes sense if that was their big announcement that got pulled last second.
    [Deleted User]ThacoBell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBellkanisatha
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    Yeah, Trent and Phil mentioned something along the lines of everyone in the office had been playing it. It sounds to not be D&D related but I'm still interested to at least see what it was.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    I found my thriiiiilllll, on Avalon Hilllllll
    Raduziel said:

ThacoBell said:

Raduziel said:

ThacoBell said:

If that's the case, Beamdog should step up and clarify that because I'm feeling kind of stupid for organizing my day around this panel to receive this lame announcement.
    It depends. If this is news is recieved as badly in general, and not just our vocal minority on the forums, I doubt they would let Beamdog say anything to tarnish their image. WotC are the bosses here, and you typically aren't allowed to call out your bosses and keep your job.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Beamdog is headed to PAX West next week to mingle with gamers, give away prizes, and reveal what’s to come at the official Beamdog PAX Panel.

The panel will be on Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 1 pm PDT in the Hydra Theatre, and livestreamed on Beamdog’s Twitch Channel and on PAX2.

Here’s why you don’t want to miss it:

D&D Announcements

Beamdog CEO, Trent Oster will be revealing some exciting news for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition. Alongside Beamdog, Wizards of the Coast Senior Producer for Digital Content, John Feil, will be there to lend his perspective on classic D&D games.

Portrait Prizes

Beamdog will be giving away two major prizes during their panel.

Audience members have a chance to win a Baldur’s Gate style portrait that may make an appearance in the Enhanced Edition family of Beamdog games.

We’ll be drawing two winners:

One person who asks a question during the panel’s Q&A will be drawn as the winner! Get your questions ready!

Watch us online! One viewer on Beamdog’s Twitch livestream of the panel will be selected to win!

Secret Guests

Watch out for a secret guest on the panel to announce something exciting for the Enhanced Edition family of games. You’ll have to tune in to find out more!

PAX Panel Details
    RSVP to the Livestream
    Beamdog Twitch Channel

Did no one seriously read the OP here?

No where does it say new strategy game (which is Axis and Allies btw) or a new game announcement. Those come with a ticking clock anyway.

This was their special guests for the family of IE games. I don’t think I was far off by suggesting Mark Meer/Jacob Burgess and new content for BG2 and quickly added they wouldn’t have released a patch if that was the case. New VOs and portraits fit with what was promised in the OP especially with their last portrait pack releases for both Steam BG & NWN:EE.

If they hyped something up in Friday streams of something different then it might have been poor execution but you can’t have it both ways. This is why they are in the dark with all their plans, if they say or hint at something and that something has to change for unseen circumstances, they can’t take those old comments back. They can correct them but that doesn’t mean everyone has seen the correction. You can’t ask for hints and then hold it against them when it isn’t what you wanted/expected. That will just make them sit more in the dark on everything they’re working on and doing.

There is no excuse for expecting something bigger than what was delivered because nothing bigger was promised above (except maybe something for NWN).

If you thought it might have been bigger, no one asked in this thread. They all just let their imaginations go wild. Adjust your expectations, that is what actually let you down if you’re underwhelmed.
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehranastiel
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Ultimately, exciting news about NWN would've been nice.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2018
    Vallmyr said:

It sounds to not be D&D related but I'm still interested to at least see what it was.

So, it's (semi) official then? Their next game will not be D&D related? We're not gonna see IWD2:EE or something like that in the near future :( ?
  • feersum_endjinnfeersum_endjinn Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2018
    deltago said:

There is no excuse for expecting something bigger than what was delivered because nothing bigger was promised above (except maybe something for NWN).

Do you not think the number of people chiming in to say they were confused and disappointed by a lacklustre announcement suggests they did set an expectation, even if they hadn't meant to?

Marketing is not an exact science. You can't just point to the OP and say "no mention of a new game so anyone who thought there might be one is deluded". That is not the only message Beamdog put out about what was going to happen, I look forward to reading the livestream recaps each week and they painted a very different picture. People are just expressing their understandable disappointment.
    Post edited by feersum_endjinn on
    lefreutRaduzielRik_Kirtaniya
    IIRC the PAX Panel was being advertised with "exciting news and a big announcement" since July.

You don't make your public wait for two months to announce a portrait pack.

Not even an amateur modder would do this. If someone wants to release a portrait pack they just release it. Pretty much like Beamdog itself did with Faces of Good and Evil.
    lefreutRik_KirtaniyakanisathaTimbo0o0o0
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Playing devil's advocate, one thing in Beamdog's defence... it's a difficult situation. When you realise last minute you can't reveal your new strategy game, you have wizard's of the coast with you and lots of fans of dice, camera, action... you cant really say "sorry, folks, the big reveal will have to wait, but here's a cool dlc pack we've done". That would instantly imply that the dlc is not a big deal... while standing next to the people who want it to be.
    ThacoBell