Skip to content

SetName() or HideName()/UnHideName()

Especially true for shape changers in a role-playing sense, it is awkward to accomplish some role play goals (like deceiving the other factions) when your PCs name is plainly displayed above the head of that innocent looking deer (druid on recon mission). Being able to change the displayed name of a thing, or hide/unhide the name (this option might default to a name based on form e.g. elf, deer, badger, etc.) while still preserving the original value for Name.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    More feedback from players is required.
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 181
    Seconded, so long as it includes a mechanism for opposing players to "discover and disclose" the correct name, perhaps based on spot and/or search and/or animal empathy checks.

I realise that the player's true name can't be hidden from some players and only disclosed to one player, but logically you'd expect that if one player discovers that another player is hidden nearby in polymorphed form, they'd immediately disclose it to everyone present under most circumstances, so this isn't a huge issue.

(Yes, I can think of cases where you wouldn't want it disclosed immediately to everyone, but my understanding is that the game just isn't designed to do that kind of thing, and changing the game in that way would be a huge issue requiring a lot of work, even presuming it could be done at all)
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    I endorse means of discovery, but, I would not choose to propagate lore learned by an individual automatically, that is tantamount to forcing the PC to just shout out whatever they know. As a RP game, no, that is forced action and not something that would make my players happy if the discovery of an ID by an individual were instantly broadcast to all others. Better to let the player decide who to tell or not tell and let them RP accordingly.
    We have systems on our server that track how well a given PC knows another PC (how much time spent together) and this influences if a PC detects the other while in disguise, or if a PC detects a stranger disguised as their 'friend'. Reveals of this nature are handled by private messages sent to the PC who detects the strangeness in the target.
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 181
    I should make it clear here that I wasn't advocating an all-or-nothing identity disclosure. I was only speculating that it may be too difficult to change the game's hard-coding to allow for selective identity disclosure.

If it's possible to change the game so that a single player can know a polymorphed player's true identity, then I agree that would be a far preferable method of dealing with disguised players.

The method which GM_ODA described sounds like a good compromise, though.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
  • metagamermetagamer Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2018
    It sounds like NWNX_Names system in which you can have a name that might be different than the original one and varying according to each player.

A's name can be seen as "Paul" from C, and "Yuri" from D but actually the real A's name is "Vecna".

I guess it's one of the best features that Beamdog can develope for EE since it really gives the possibility to play a complete disguese system.

This, of course, would be complementary to the "hide/unhide" player name (account name) during chat (clicking on the portrait).
    A thought ... maybe the best set of commands would be RestoreName() and SetName() the former restoring to original and the latter changing the display name as desired.
    Maybe augment that with RevealName([PCtoName,RevealTo) as the command to reveal a disguised PC's name to a particular target (as if by a tell).