Skip to content

Why only one Gem Bag, Scroll Case and Potion Bag?

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
I think the Gem Bag, Scroll Case and Potion Bag are very nice additions to BG:EE but I was wondering why we only get one of each item? It is not like they are overpowering and I think it would be a good idea to add them as a standard item in the inventories of all the major merchants or at least of Sorcerous Sundries because if these aren't sundries for sorcerers I don't know what are.
DordledumConjurerDragonlost1[Deleted User]MirandelAerakarStummvonBordwehr

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    bob_veng said:

there's no need for more than one in BGEE, in my experience.

For role-playing purposes I would prefer my thieves to have separate gem bags and my casters to have separate scroll cases. I figure if I kick Xzar and Montaron out of my party then they are going to take their possessions with them.
    bob_veng said:

we're lucky to have any...

Why? Isn't this exactly the kind of thing that the Enhanced Editions were designed to add?
    lost1MirandelAerakar
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    I like three gem bags: one each for gems, necklaces, and rings. Not sure why.

Same with scroll cases. One for blues and greens, one for whites, and one for reds... which usually becomes two.

But in BG1 it’s tolerable to have 1. I would love the keychain and ammobelt in BG 1, though.
    Mortianna
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I find it highly annoying and irritating that I have to deal with Neera to get the gem bag. I guess it's the reward I demand from her for forcing me into a mage battle in the middle of the streets of Beregost at first level, before I send her and her dangerously out-of-control magic permanently packing. Grrr. (Not a Neera fan here - can you tell?)

It's an appaling bit of "let's force this character on you" by Beamdog.

However, if you sneak really carefully towards her and shoot her before she can starts the scripted nonsense, she tries to escape, can't because of the FofW and you can kill her without ever speaking to her.

What's worse in some ways, is that she turns hostile and does nothing to fight you.
    At least if she reacted, you could consider it another hostile encounter/fight.

BelgarathMTHConjurerDragonContemplative_HamsterMortianna
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    People keep using "forced" I don't think it means what they think it means.
    ChroniclerStummvonBordwehrO_Bruce
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    1 of each is more than enough for all your needs in BG1. I don't really see the problem.
    ThacoBellsarevok57
  • parrkerparrker Member Posts: 22
    For some reason, Neera was killed in the fight for like 4 or 5 times in a row, so I was always able to grab the bag from her body, no strings attached. You don't have to protect her in the fight, right?
    ConjurerDragonDhariusMortianna
    You don't, and I used to do that periodically, but in the 2.5 patch they changed it so that she can't die in that initial encounter anymore.
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    edited September 2018

I find it highly annoying and irritating that I have to deal with Neera to get the gem bag.

Have CHARNAME/Imoen hide in shadows and one-hit-backstab her before she can even speak.

You can also kill Dorn in FAI the first time you visit, and it will prevent his questline from ever starting(the "random" encounter as you travel to Nashkel Mines)

I find it highly annoying and irritating that I have to deal with Neera to get the gem bag.

Have CHARNAME/Imoen hide in shadows and one-hit-backstab her before she can even speak.

You can also kill Dorn in FAI the first time you visit, and it will prevent his questline from ever starting(the "random" encounter as you travel to Nashkel Mines)

If you just don't talk to Dorn at all the quest will never start either. Killing him seems like you're only going through extra effort to achieve something that you could've gotten by doing nothing.
    SkatanThacoBell
    edited September 2018

1 of each is more than enough for all your needs in BG1. I don't really see the problem.

It is a problem if you want more than one. They are mundane but useful items; why not make them generally available?
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on

It is a problem if you want more than one. They are mundane but useful items; why not make them generally available?
    "Why Not" is never the question.

They don't just keep adding gem bags to the game until somebody can come up with a reason to stop.

1 gem bag is convenient. If the question was "Why add 1 gem bag", convenience is the answer.

2 gem bags are not more convenient. There aren't really enough gems being thrown around to fill up your 1 gem bag. If the question is "Why add a second gem bag", there is no answer, because there is no reason.
    ThacoBellDharius
    edited September 2018

"Why Not" is never the question.

They don't just keep adding gem bags to the game until somebody can come up with a reason to stop.

1 gem bag is convenient. If the question was "Why add 1 gem bag", convenience is the answer.

2 gem bags are not more convenient. There aren't really enough gems being thrown around to fill up your 1 gem bag. If the question is "Why add a second gem bag", there is no answer, because there is no reason.
    You can very easily fill the gem bag. It holds roughly 90 items. When I was soloing I decided to play as a character who collects gems. The bag was full in no time.

When I am playing with a party I prefer my characters (thieves in particular) to have their own gem bags so that they can keep any gems, rings and jewelry that they find. If they leave the party they take the bag with them. I also prefer my mages to have their own scroll cases for the same reason.

These containers are mundane items and there is no reason they should not be available from every merchant in the game.
    Mirandel
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

A lot of hobgoblins drop rings or other jewelry, so does other creature types like sirenes and tasloi etc. I don't like moving back and forth to town just to sell so the gembag does indeed get full quite quickly. This is not an argument for more gembags, this is just my opinion on the fact I think there's a bucketload of gem/jewelry drops in BG1.

Fair enough. I've personally never had to make a special trip to town to empty the gem bag, but I'm open to different experiences.

I would suggest a small DLC for BG1 like Deidre and Joluv - but only with gem bags, scroll cases and such. Then we can leave Neera alone

I really like that suggestion.
    UnderstandMouseMagicStummvonBordwehr
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    Permidion_Stark
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243

There is an ammo belt in the smithy's shop in Beregost

Seriously? Awesome!
  • proffburdproffburd Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 24

There is an ammo belt in the smithy's shop in Beregost. The Tweaks Anthology mod has a component which adds additional gem, potion and scroll containers to the game (I can't remember if it adds another ammo belt, though), and a bag of holding. Very handy.

Is this a modded version to get an ammo belt at Beregost because I’m not seeing anything at the smithy shop?

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    edited September 2018
    proffburd said:

There is an ammo belt in the smithy's shop in Beregost. The Tweaks Anthology mod has a component which adds additional gem, potion and scroll containers to the game (I can't remember if it adds another ammo belt, though), and a bag of holding. Very handy.

Is this a modded version to get an ammo belt at Beregost because I’m not seeing anything at the smithy shop?

Oops, my bad. You do need the Tweaks Anthology mod to get the ammo belt. Apologies for posting incorrectly. I guess I've finally reached the stage where I'm forgetting which content is original and which is from mods.

Edit: @Dordledum tagging you in this as well.
    proffburdDordledumThacoBell
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    I don't think Neera is forced on you at all in my opinion. She might not survive the encounter for a start (she didn't one time I played it, and I wasn't trying to get rid of her) as @parrker said. Also you can hire her and then dismiss her, like any other NPC (e.g. you can hire then dismiss Dorn to get his magic sword).

Oddly in contrast it appears Dorn can't die in the encounter against the bandits where you can hire him (at least not the last time I checked).
    ThacoBell
    @OrlonKronsteen thank you for clarifying. I’m fairly new to these forums and having read comments about some of these mods I’m becoming interested in trying to use them possibly.
    OrlonKronsteen
    Dharius said:

Oddly in contrast it appears Dorn can't die in the encounter against the bandits where you can hire him (at least not the last time I checked).

Dorn certainly died in in that encounter in my last playthrough. I was soloing and I assumed he was tough enough to handle himself against the two people confronting him while I went for the archers near the cliffs. He got killed really quickly and I had to run away.

StummvonBordwehrDharius
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    proffburd said:

@OrlonKronsteen thank you for clarifying. I’m fairly new to these forums and having read comments about some of these mods I’m becoming interested in trying to use them possibly.

definitely try tweaks anthology. go to the news section on the g3 forum and check out all the recent announcements there. you won't need more mods than that for starters. remember that BGEE is fundamentally similar to what a modded (and converted) game used to be like before... what has been done by mods has even very recently been taken up by new versions of the vanilla. that's evidence that modders have had a good sense about what it takes to improve BG1 for practically everyone.
    StummvonBordwehrOrlonKronsteen
    @bob_veng what is g3 forum? I don’t understand some of the abbreviations I’ve seen through here.
    proffburd said:

@bob_veng what is g3 forum? I don’t understand some of the abbreviations I’ve seen through here.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?act=idx

I've never checked it out in depth but it's some sort of modding hub.
    proffburd[Deleted User]