Skip to content

New forum text editor - When to migrate?

2»

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Can't we have both, and an option to switch between them as necessary? Just like Wikis on Fandom (like the BG and IWD wikis) have the option to use both the Visual Editor (easier to use) and the Classic Editor (allows more advanced stuff).

In the document via the first link in the original post, it shows:

What do I do with my existing Advanced Editor posts?
    Rich Editor can function side by side with Advanced Editor. Leave Advanced Editor enabled in addition to Rich Editor, and older posts will still be editable using Advanced Editor.

Does this mean we can have both, or does it mean something else? I'd like to have both, as I think most people would also like to have. I like the idea of more emojis, but not being able to use HTML is a severe atrocity. That's why both options should be provided, and it would be better if Vanilla provides cross-compatibility between the two text-editors, or at least add HTML support for the new Rich Editor.

That being said, if a change is inevitable, it's best to have it soon.
    I agree, I like both, having both options is best key, to make everyone happy, including me.
    @Torgrimmer - As Julius explained, having the Advanced Editor active only makes it available for editing old posts. The Rich Text Editor will be the only option for new posts.

Note the last part of the text @Rik_Kirtaniya quoted: "Leave Advanced Editor enabled in addition to Rich Editor, and older posts will still be editable using Advanced Editor."
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331

Can't we have both, and an option to switch between them as necessary? Just like Wikis on Fandom (like the BG and IWD wikis) have the option to use both the Visual Editor (easier to use) and the Classic Editor (allows more advanced stuff).

In the document via the first link in the original post, it shows:

What do I do with my existing Advanced Editor posts?
    Rich Editor can function side by side with Advanced Editor. Leave Advanced Editor enabled in addition to Rich Editor, and older posts will still be editable using Advanced Editor.

Does this mean we can have both, or does it mean something else? I'd like to have both, as I think most people would also like to have. I like the idea of more emojis, but not being able to use HTML is a severe atrocity. That's why both options should be provided, and it would be better if Vanilla provides cross-compatibility between the two text-editors, or at least add HTML support for the new Rich Editor.

That being said, if a change is inevitable, it's best to have it soon.
    I agree, I like both, having both options is best key, to make everyone happy, including me.
    @Torgrimmer - As Julius explained, having the Advanced Editor active only makes it available for editing old posts. The Rich Text Editor will be the only option for new posts.

Note the last part of the text @Rik_Kirtaniya quoted: "Leave Advanced Editor enabled in addition to Rich Editor, and older posts will still be editable using Advanced Editor."
    Oh okay thank you for clarifying.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    What are the overwhelming problems of the old editor?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    there aren't any, really, but wysiwyg is the standard. for some people this editor may be a little strange and lacking in features
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Ok, it's decided.

We should migrate once the Rich Editor is out of beta. 67%

We should migrate when the problems caused by the legacy editor become overwhelming. 32%

So we'll migrate once the Rich Editor is out of beta. Thanks everyone.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    IT HAS BEGUN!!!
This discussion has been closed.