Skip to content

The Horror Movie Thread

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    @voidofopinion

That's... Actually a really nice way of looking at it. :)
    ThacoBellBalrog99voidofopinion
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

@Dev6

As a long time fan of the Alien series, I have come to realize that regardless of how bad the remakes, reboots, prequels, and spin-offs are... They can't take away the original. So getting upset only means that you are upset. It changes nothing.

:)

The sequel was better in every way! *Ducks into bomb shelter*
    voidofopinion
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Meh, I've even accepted Alien Ressurection over time.

Radical Acceptance is wonderful.
    ThacoBell
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited September 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@Dev6

As a long time fan of the Alien series, I have come to realize that regardless of how bad the remakes, reboots, prequels, and spin-offs are... They can't take away the original. So getting upset only means that you are upset. It changes nothing.

The sequel was better in every way! *Ducks into bomb shelter*
    They are two entirely different movies. The original "Alien" is probably the most flat-out Lovecraftian a big budget movie has ever gotten outside of "The Thing", at least up until the squad returns to the ship, where it essentially becomes a slasher movie. The prequels have sort of ruined the mystery of that excursion onto the planet, but it doesn't take away from how mysterious it as before them.

"Aliens" is just a flat-out ball to the walls action film.
    Balrog99voidofopinion
    @jjstraka34 Alien had MAJOR pacing problems. Buildup is good, but having 20 minutes of nothing after they get back to the ship, followed by 30 seconds of exictement, followed by 20 minuets of notihng, folowed 30 seconds of excitement, and then repeat several times, just ruins all the setup. It goes from tense to tedious after an hour. This doesn't ruin the movie, but keeps it merely good, rather than great.

How exactly do you get balls to the wall action out of Aliens? It utilizes the same 20 minute buildup that the first movie did, but pays it off with half that time of payoff. It balances suspense vs. acion MUCH MUCH BETTER than the first movie did. It also finds time for several quiet, cotemplative scenes. Whenever I hear people call it just an action film, it feels like they only watched 1/3 of the movie.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Alien and Alien3 are the best of the franchise and I'm not even trolling.
    voidofopinion
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed Covenant. I'd put it 3rd after the original and Aliens.

@ThacoBell: The pacing was part of the suspense building in the original. I'm old enough to remember when you didn't need action every 30 seconds to keep viewer's attention. The Thing (John Carpenter's version) was another great movie where there wasn't action every scene. Character building and back-story are severely neglected in more modern movies. Imho of course...
    ThacoBellZaghoulFardragon
    Dev6 said:

Alien and Alien3 are the best of the franchise and I'm not even trolling.

@Dev6
    I agree about the original but Alien 3 just reminded me too much of The Road Warrior with all the British accents and bleak scenery. It also pissed me off that they arbitrarily killed off Hicks and Newt at at the beginning without even much of an explanation.
    @Balrog99 I get the suspense building, but the problem is, they overdid it. It was like watching a ghost hunter show for 20 min, then Freddy Fazbear jumps out and goes "RAGH!" before disappearing for another 20 min. It got boring FAST. Its a shame, because everything from the start of the movie, to the chestburster scene was nearly perfect. But everything after that was just repetetive.

The Thing is easily one of my all time favorite movies, let alone horrow movies. But it had amajor advantage that Alien didn't. The whole mystery and psychological impact of not knowing who was still human. Its payoffs lasted longer than a brief jumpscare as well. With Alien, you knew exactly what was going to happen.
    ThacoBell said:

@Balrog99 I get the suspense building, but the problem is, they overdid it. It was like watching a ghost hunter show for 20 min, then Freddy Fazbear jumps out and goes "RAGH!" before disappearing for another 20 min. It got boring FAST. Its a shame, because everything from the start of the movie, to the chestburster scene was nearly perfect. But everything after that was just repetetive.

The Thing is easily one of my all time favorite movies, let alone horrow movies. But it had amajor advantage that Alien didn't. The whole mystery and psychological impact of not knowing who was still human. Its payoffs lasted longer than a brief jumpscare as well. With Alien, you knew exactly what was going to happen.

Yet Alien is still one of all-time favorite movies. I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with you. At least you like The Thing!
    ThacoBell
    I like Alien too, its missteps just keep it from being great, in my opinion. You know, I should watch Alien 3 again. I remember liking it, but I've only seen it once.
    ThacoBell said:

I like Alien too, its missteps just keep it from being great, in my opinion. You know, I should watch Alien 3 again. I remember liking it, but I've only seen it once.

I think it was great for it's time. It was really a groundbreaking movie with the blend of sci-fi and horror. I'm probably seeing it through those rose-colored lenses. Alien 3 is just meh, so don't expect much.
    ThacoBell said:

@jjstraka34 Alien had MAJOR pacing problems. Buildup is good, but having 20 minutes of nothing after they get back to the ship, followed by 30 seconds of exictement, followed by 20 minuets of notihng, folowed 30 seconds of excitement, and then repeat several times, just ruins all the setup. It goes from tense to tedious after an hour. This doesn't ruin the movie, but keeps it merely good, rather than great.

How exactly do you get balls to the wall action out of Aliens? It utilizes the same 20 minute buildup that the first movie did, but pays it off with half that time of payoff. It balances suspense vs. acion MUCH MUCH BETTER than the first movie did. It also finds time for several quiet, cotemplative scenes. Whenever I hear people call it just an action film, it feels like they only watched 1/3 of the movie.

Have you watched the uncut version of Aliens yet? When the cut scenes are added in it's even better. The automatic machine-guns are explained much better and it adds even more to the sense of dread when the aliens finally break into the citadel.
    Zaghoul
    @Balrog99 I didn't even know that existed. Now I HAVE to look it up.
    Balrog99
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I see Ron Perlman behind her. That's literally ALL I can see. :D
    ThacoBell
    That voice. That gasoline soaked growl. That "I don't care and I take what I want" glint in his eye. And that devilish smirk.

He may not be conventionally attractive but my god is that man primal sexy time.

:*
    ThacoBell
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I like Alien Resurrection mainly for some of my favorite actors; Michael Wincott, Brad Dourif, Ron Perlman, and Dominique Pinon (after seeing him in The City of Lost Children with Ron Perlman - a great Perlman movie by the way).
    ThacoBellvoidofopinion
    edited September 2018

That voice. That gasoline soaked growl. That "I don't care and I take what I want" glint in his eye. And that devilish smirk.

He may not be conventionally attractive but my god is that man primal sexy time.

:*

My "primal sexy time" guy is real life Daniel Craig as James Bond. Too many times, Bond has been a pretty boy. Feh.

Also, Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky.

For videogames, it's Adam Jensen of Deus Ex Human Revolution and Solid Snake, voiced by David Hayter, of Metal Gear Solid.

This journey into the land of off-topic had been brought to you by the letters S, E and X. ;)
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
    voidofopinionBalrog99ThacoBell
    Zaghoul said:

I like Alien Resurrection mainly for some of my favorite actors; Michael Wincott, Brad Dourif, Ron Perlman, and Dominique Pinon (after seeing him in The City of Lost Children with Ron Perlman - a great Perlman movie by the way).

One. Miette. Ensemble.

Every time.

La cité des enfants perdus was the first movie I showed my wife when we were dating as a "You haven't watched this!?"

Love that film.

Zaghoul
    The chair scene ruined Daniel Craig for me.

It doesn't matter what he does or how great he is in it. Every time I see his chiseled face I just see that chair scene.

However, I can very much see what you mean about primal sexy time.

I would say we are getting off track but... That chair scene. Real horror show.
    I'm not gonna ask what the chair scene is. I really don't want to know. I can only return with Shower Scene from Lara Croft:Tomb Raider, which he was also in. Nice bod, btw.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I just found this beautifully done 6 min. short film trailer Black Goat (2011) , by Joseph Nannias for what I hope gets made. In 2017 I see it is at least listed as pre-production, but who knows. One of Shub-Niggurath's Dark Young creatures comes out at the end and looks fantastic. The guy's also got a pretty cool axe if ya watch it close.
    voidofopinionThacoBell
    edited September 2018
    So, even though it isn't a movie, I am going to talk about it since I watched it on the great horror streaming service Shutter.

I'm sure most here are somewhat familiar with the all-time great Creepy Pasta Candle Cove (if not, seek out the original for background). Sci-Fy Channel has a series based on a new Creepy Pasta each season called "Channel Zero", and the basic premise of Candle Cove was used as a base for the first season, which actually centers around some unsolved child murders from the '80s and a reckoning in the present day. It gets a little out there for it's own good, but it's consistently pretty entertaining, and there is a monster made entirely of TEETH that is wholly unnerving to look at (and hear) every time it is on the screen. I would give it a positive if not glowing recommendation and look forward to Season 2 when it comes to the service in October.
    ThacoBell
    Was it the sound of a cat making teeth chattering noises? Because if you here that out of nowhere, it can be quite creepy...

FinneousPJvoidofopinion
    Much worse than that. It's not giving anything away really, but the entire body of this, well, THING is composed of thousands of human teeth that just happens to take the vague shape of a human, and the sound effects they add are just kind of sickening.
    ThacoBell
    That sounds vile.

I love it!
    ThacoBell
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Balrog99 said:

Alien 3 just reminded me too much of The Road Warrior with all the British accents and bleak scenery.

If you think that is bad you should try living in Britain!

ThacoBell

jjstraka34Balrog99ThacoBell
    Fardragon said:

Balrog99 said:

Alien 3 just reminded me too much of The Road Warrior with all the British accents and bleak scenery.

If you think that is bad you should try living in Britain!

"The Road Warrior" was made in Australia. Shouldn't it be "Aussie Accents" (Or Kiwi, if some of the actors were New Zealander")?

I mean, I know they might sound alike, but they're not.
    Balrog99