Skip to content

The Horror Movie Thread

Comments

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

So, even though it isn't a movie, I am going to talk about it since I watched it on the great horror streaming service Shutter.

I'm sure most here are somewhat familiar with the all-time great Creepy Pasta Candle Cove (if not, seek out the original for background). Sci-Fy Channel has a series based on a new Creepy Pasta each season called "Channel Zero", and the basic premise of Candle Cove was used as a base for the first season, which actually centers around some unsolved child murders from the '80s and a reckoning in the present day. It gets a little out there for it's own good, but it's consistently pretty entertaining, and there is a monster made entirely of TEETH that is wholly unnerving to look at (and hear) every time it is on the screen. I would give it a positive if not glowing recommendation and look forward to Season 2 when it comes to the service in October.

I had totally forgotten about Candle Cove! Didn't know about the Channel Zero part though. Would be nice to see. I assume that's where the complete episode is from then?

As for actual children's shows, I grew up with Ika i rutan. A rather... special show that mostly consisted of actress Ika Nord doing whatever she felt like in front of the cameras. This show freaked me out and fascinated me at the same time. Was not surprised to hear that she has a role in horror movie Let the right one in.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited September 2018
    The full episode is probably all the clips of the puppets from the six episodes mashed together.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom last night, and the series definitely took a turn more towards staight horror at the end. The Indoraptor takes so many pages from werewolves, vampires, and Frankenstein that I really want to call the last third of the movie, "Gothic Horror with Dinosaurs."
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Fallen Kingdom was a damn mess of a movie. I honestly think they mashed two completely different scripts together and just called it a day.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    @ThacoBell

So Dino Crisis?
    :D
    FinneousPJThacoBellDev6
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @voidofopinion I would watch that movie!
    voidofopinion
    Dinosaurs need to be used for straight up horror more often. There is so much untapped potential there. I think I need to go watch Carnosaur again.
    Dev6
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    The insane, three-fingered T-rex in Fantasia was pure horror for me as a kid. Look at it, it doesn't want to eat! It just wants to maim and murder and not even a stegosaurus tail to the face is going to stop it. Maybe because stegosauruses went extinct like 90 million years before Tyrannosauruses were around. Ah, well.
    Dev6ThacoBell
    The Sharptooth from The Land Before Time used to scare the crap out of me as a kid.

JoenSoThacoBellsemiticgoddess
    edited September 2018
    Aside from the latest move, I think Jurassic Park is more action thriller than straight up horror, but I did see the first movie in theaters when I was three. Cue nightmares of kitchen Raptors and T-Rexes knocking down the backyard fences for years.
    Dev6
    ThacoBell said:

Cue nightmares of kitchen Raptors and T-Rexes knocking down the backyard fences for years.

Gordon Ramsey has jumped the shark...
    ThacoBellDev6JoenSo
    edited September 2018
    The original raptor scene in the kitchen in the original Jurassic Park is more effective than 99% of any slasher movies. I'm not sure anything has ever really lived up to the first one, even though I sort of like The Lost World. Incidentally, Siskel and Ebert, in their review of the original, went out of their way to mention that the movie was not appropriate for children under 10, because they knew it was being marketed to very young children:

ZaghoulThacoBellDev6
    I'm one of those freaks who loves every Jurassic Park film.
    voidofopinion
    Show us ur tats!

Dev6ThacoBell
    Strangely enough, I share the same opinion about Jurassic Park that I do with Alien. JP1 and 3 are the best.
    ThacoBell
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2018
    LadyRhian said:

Fardragon said:

Balrog99 said:

Alien 3 just reminded me too much of The Road Warrior with all the British accents and bleak scenery.

If you think that is bad you should try living in Britain!

"The Road Warrior" was made in Australia. Shouldn't it be "Aussie Accents" (Or Kiwi, if some of the actors were New Zealander")?

I mean, I know they might sound alike, but they're not.
    I believe @Balrog99 was referring to Alien 3, which featured quite a few British actors, not Mad Max.

Although it's certainly true that a lot of "British" accents on US TV sound Australian, even when they have recruited genuine British actors for the part!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Fardragon said:

LadyRhian said:

Fardragon said:

Balrog99 said:

Alien 3 just reminded me too much of The Road Warrior with all the British accents and bleak scenery.

If you think that is bad you should try living in Britain!

"The Road Warrior" was made in Australia. Shouldn't it be "Aussie Accents" (Or Kiwi, if some of the actors were New Zealander")?

I mean, I know they might sound alike, but they're not.
    I believe @Balrog99 was referring to Alien 3, which featured quite a few British actors, not Mad Max.

Although it's certainly true that a lot of "British" accents on US TV sound Australian, even when they have recruited genuine British actors for the part!
    Possibly. I mean, there are a ton of people who can't tell the difference, or who think that the BBC accent is spoken *everywhere* in Britain. I'd like to see the face of people who think that when they meet a Cockney. or a Liverpudlian, neither of which sound anything like a BBC newscaster!
    Seeing as its now October, its time for my yearly re-watch of "Over the Garden Wall". A fantastic little miniseries that premiered on Cartoon Network a few years ago. It pays homage to cartoons from the golden era and mixes a simple character designs with distressingly detailed horrors. It has that rare fairy tale vibe that bounces between childlike whimsy and disturbing horror. Also, the rare october special not centered around Halloween, with more of a harvest and fall feel in general.

Note that the trailer very deliberately leaves out the horrific bits. But you can see the art style for yourself.

• DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    edited October 2018
    HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN MANDY????

real weird. it's a revenge movie with demon bikers and a psycho religious drug cult. it's got a slow start but the whole thing is very big on moody visuals and color. highly recommended if you want to watch Nicolas Cage chew on the scenery in a lunatic way again instead of his usual slumming it up for a paycheck these days or if you like comedic horror/action movies. also good if you like 1980's heavy metal or 1980's Heavy Metal.
    Ran across this. Enjoy!

Happy halloween guys!

I'm gonna stay in tonight and rewatch the first Halloween for the gazillionth time with a warm blanket and a ton of popcorn.
    Going to the movies tomorrow to watch the new one. :smiley:
    I'll report back.
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteenZaghoul
    I always just have AMC and it's endless loop of Halloween 1, 2, 4 and 5 on tonight.
    Dev6ThacoBell
    Halloween, the only slasher movie that was almost good.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    ThacoBell said:

The Evil Dead...
    ThacoBell said:

You get out of my thread and never speak to me again. :neutral:
    All slashers are good.
    ALL OF THEM!
    FinneousPJThacoBell
    edited October 2018
    ThacoBell said:

"Halloween" is actually just flat-out good. And frankly, even as far as sequels go (and almost all slasher sequels are trash from an artistic perspective) the ones in this series are vastly superior to it's main comtempararies like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. Even the first Friday the 13th movie is pretty awful.
    edited October 2018
    I like Vampire Princss Miyu, the TV series, Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The Vampires Princess Miyu Movies were also good.
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
    @Balrog99 I wouldn't call Evil Dead a slasher.

@Dev6 My problem with slashers are pretty simple.
    1.While gore and blood doesn't bother me, I don't really get any entertainment out of it. And most slashers seem to treat it as the main reason to watch.
    2. None of the cast are ever likeable. So there is no reason to root for any of them. Halloween is better at this than most as Dr. Loomis and uh, crap, survivor girl are actually likeable and I WANT them to make it through.
    3. The body count is so consistently high, that rooting for even the rare character you like is kinda pointless. Slashers REALLY need to vary this up more. 99% of the time, the survivor is the one teenage girl who didn't have sex earlier. Its mind numbing.
    4. The villain is usually boring. There isn't much to differeniate say, Jason Vorhees and Michael Myers.

Halloween and Knightmare on Elm Street are the only slashers that I could just about say are good. Freddy is incredibly entertaining, and there are some imaginative effects in that movie. While Halloween has some absolutely genius camera work, and the rare likeable protaganists.

Honorable mention goes to the Texas chaninsaw massacre.
    Balrog99
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil is brilliant
    ThacoBellSethDavissemiticgoddess