Skip to content

Has Neera become immortal?

2»

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2018

If you want to make Neera killable during the Red Wizard encounter, it takes all of two seconds to make the necessary change to NETHAY01.DLG in NearInfinity.

Just add the following action to NETHAY01.DLG, State 0, Response 1:

ActionOverride("NEERA",ApplySpellRES("OHNMODE2",Myself))

That's good news. It means it shouldn't take the devs too long to change things back in the next patch.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • ChristianusChristianus Member Posts: 6
    still.. its bit weird in logic... I mean if you take the example of GreenWarlock, main and Imoen then you have been already in countless near death situations right? Either a lonely wolf in the fields or some gibberings you just can't manage. quicksave and load are two terms that are very much attached to this wicked game!
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I've looked into the files a little closer, as AstroBryGuy said, you'll need to remove her immunity spell. She also has the amulet of min1hp - so you'll need to remove that.

In my improved cutscene mod (wip), I've made 3 small changes. I replaced her immunity spell with two wild mage spells. I've replaced the min1hp amulet with a protection of form stability amulet and I've replaced the range from which she first talks to you from 20 to 2, so you can approach her at your leisure.

PM me if anyone wants to download this before the mod is finalised (Im working through all the battle cutscenes before releasing the mod).

I've tested this on insanity mode with a party of Jaheira, Immy, Khalid, Monty and Xzar and she never comes close to dying.

// Neera

COPY_EXISTING ~NEERA.dlg~ ~override~
    DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH BEGIN
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~OHNMODE1~ ~SPWI711~
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~OHNMODE2~ ~SPWI723~
    END

COPY_EXISTING ~NEERA.BCS~ ~override~
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~Range([PC],20)~ ~Range([PC],2)~
    END

COPY_EXISTING ~AR3300.BCS~ ~override~
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~minhp1~ ~AMUL24~
    END
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992

If you want to make Neera killable during the Red Wizard encounter, it takes all of two seconds to make the necessary change to NETHAY01.DLG in NearInfinity.

Just add the following action to NETHAY01.DLG, State 0, Response 1:

ActionOverride("NEERA",ApplySpellRES("OHNMODE2",Myself))

That's good news. It means it shouldn't take the devs too long to change things back in the next patch.
    I wouldn’t get my hopes up for that. I think Beamdog will let things be as-is, because :

1) It is consistent with other such implementations, aka Dorn (even though some people say he’s bugged right now - something I haven’t seen myself and I use him right now).

2) Beamdog gives you a way to completely avoid the encounter if you want.

3) As seen in this very thread, not everybody dislikes her new implementation.

You disagree with what they’ve done. That’s ok, but that’s not enough for them to change things, because that’s neither a bug nor a huge gameplay problem (forcing the fight on the player was one in my opinion).

I’d suggest that you make yourself a small tweak mod to fit your needs. Learn how to do it, it’s seriously not as complicated as it sounds. And then, you’ll have the game you really want.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited October 2018
    I kinda liked that they could be killed. It opens up more pressure in no/low reload games and keeps to the general game philosophy that pretty much anyone can be killed and the game just carries on.
    Place a fireball near a quest giver. Dead. Quest complete. Got a temporary tag along guest that hangs around your symbol of warding oh dear onto the next quest I guess. That reactivity is a bit unique to these kinds of RPG’s and I think the immortality takes that choice away.

But I understand that is a quite a game changer in Legacy of Bhaal. There’s no way you can simply make Neera’s pursuers deal regular damage on a Legacy of Bhaal run?
    Post edited by spacejaws on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    If Dorn is currently killable during his ambush, then it's a bug, and it should be reported. I'd appreciate if someone could report with a save file attached.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    fluke13 said:

I've looked into the files a little closer, as AstroBryGuy said, you'll need to remove her immunity spell. She also has the amulet of min1hp - so you'll need to remove that.

The MINHP1.ITM is taken care of by a DestroyItem() action in NETHAY01.DLG state 0, transition 1. It is already removed at the end of the CUTNE1A cut scene.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

Also, the Thayvians attack my CHARNAME when they turn red-circled, even when I say they can have Neera when talking to Ekandor. There's nothing in their scripts that targets Neera only.

I got this wrong and I apologise for providing misinformation. I ran the encounter again today and realised that it is only the wizard who appears to ignore the CHARNAME and in fact it only happens when he has run out of spells. I assume he hasn't been given any weapons or hasn't been scripted to use them because he just stands there. He will move away slightly if you approach him but you can attack him repeatedly and he will do nothing.