Skip to content

BG3 confirmed

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    spacejaws said:

If it’s CDPR it’s reveal would be a long time away probably after Cyberpunk has only just started showing itself.

I mean, maybe at game awards or something if it’s a big enough developer taking the helm but my thoughts are that it’ll be a long ass time before we hear anything else.

We haven’t actually heard anything from Beamdog about the situation. Now that it’s out should they let us down gently? After all members here have been teasing them about a Baldur’s Gate 3 for a long time and listened to them say they would love to do it but its kinda a pipe dream scenario. Then of course David Gaider comes onboard for two years and fans those flames a little bit y’know...

The PCGamesN story says someone from Beamdog confirmed to them that Beamdog is not involved.

The game is surely quite some time away from being revealed, that's for sure. This was Brian Fargo shooting off his mouth on twitter for which he's probably been severely chastised since, as he's had no further tweets and has refused further comments.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    another possible company is monolith
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited October 2018
    kanisatha said:

BG3 will be open world. It will be first person or at least third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

WotC wants to control everything related to D&D (look at all the constraints they put on Beamdog or other companies working with them) and CD Projekt is known for its independence. I really don't see them working together.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i said this before and i'm gonna say htis again. the bg 3 you want is not what your getting. it's gonna be called 3 for marketing purposes and will be like nwn 2. it will be in the same region but not the same story and with the newer rule set.

heck we were gonna get a bg 3 before interplay shut everything down and you wanna know something/ it was not even called bg 3 it was called bg black hound.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    inXile are making BG3? :o amazing news
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

i said this before and i'm gonna say htis again. the bg 3 you want is not what your getting. it's gonna be called 3 for marketing purposes and will be like nwn 2. it will be in the same region but not the same story and with the newer rule set.

heck we were gonna get a bg 3 before interplay shut everything down and you wanna know something/ it was not even called bg 3 it was called bg black hound.

It also had more to do with Icewind Dale than BG.

Well, sure. But that's entirely subjective. I for one loved NwN2 and hated NwN1. Similarly, I preferred IwD2 over IwD1 precisely because of the change in edition. And a "BG3" that is in the current canon timeline and using 5e D&D rules will be awesome for me because I think 5e is fantastic. I love BG1, BG2 and IwD1 despite 2e rules and not because of it. For me 2e is the worst D&D rules set of all, worse even that 4e.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Well the domain is up for auction, so if we bet on it we'll know who owns the IP after they buy it from us.
    Anyway, iirc, this domain was actually owned by Trent at one time, so it is sad to see beamdog lose out on the IP.

I am also not convinced that CDPR would be the best fit for BG3. Both the Witcher series and Cyberpunk revolves around a premade protagonist, where BG revolves around a custom protagonist. Yes CDPR can tell an amazing game, but can they do it with the openness of what the D&D licence is suppose to bring? They really are untested on that front IMO.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited October 2018
    This is a game that doesn't need to exist. For one thing, Siege of Dragonspear may not have been called Baldur's Gate 3, but it served the same purpose. Not only that, it did the only reasonable thing that could be done with the story, which was fill in the huge hole between the end of the first game and the start of the second one. I know some people never had a problem with it, but just waking up in the dungeon never sat well with me.

Beyond that, the story of the Bhaalspawn is over. It's been covered front to back with every i dotted and t crossed. You go from a kid who can barely survive an encounter with a single wolf to a God over the course of 250+ hours. In between those two points you have ever type of adventure that could possibly take place in the D&D universe. As others have mentioned here, it won't (and shouldn't) have anything to do with the main story. It could end up being Sword Coast Legends with better branding. The world didn't even need ONE Sword Coast Legends, much less one that has a 50/50 chance of tarnishing the legacy of this series.

Where is the need for this anyway?? Between Pillars of Eternity 1&2, Divinity: Original Sin 1&2, and now Pathfinder: Kingmaker, this market is not only being served, it is arguable it is reaching the point of saturation.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'm also hoping the game will have nothing or very little to do with the old BG story. Don't mind them using the name though, but prefer it being "Baldur's Gate: New Title" kind of thing rather than "Baldur's Gate 3". Oh and I hope it's got something to do with the actual city too. But I would also like to visit new places in Faerun. So I'm conflicted.

I agree that the Murder in BG would be a good start. But having goddamn cowardly Viekang be a murderous assassin just feels silly.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    Just like Dragon Age: Inqusition lost number 3 in the title so can Baldur's Gate go on it's own new direction while having some story flashbacks through meeting old NPC's in adventures.

Ok, what if Beamdog is actually making new Baldur's Gate game. Beamdog said they're not working on BG3 which probably won't be named that afterall. So they weren't wrong.

This could be a nice surprise. Even on Wiki says following (BG series)

Future

Overhaul Games announced that, after finishing the Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, they would be developing Baldur's Gate 3 with funding from Kickstarter, as Wasteland 2 had gotten.[10] Overhaul Games later clarified their Baldur's Gate game to be a separate game from The Black Hound.[11] Game developer Trent Oster suggested Thay[12] and Waterdeep[13] as possible settings for the game. Beamdog began calling the game Baldur's Gate Next as a way to differentiate it from the Bhaalspawn Saga.[14]

I think this is actually the case here. I think Beamdog is making new title in Baldur's Gate series.
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    Why would David Gaider and Phillip Daigle leave if Beamdog was making BG3? Makes no sense, unless it's not the BG3 that they invision.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    I'd be surprised if it were a direct continuation of CHARNAME's saga instead of a game taking place somewhere in Faerun and having to deal with Bhaal in some way. There's ideas I've seen floating around for some high concept "manage your divine portfolio" game that is a direct continuation, but I really doubt they'll go with that. I would be very pleased if they used 5th Edition mechanics as a base. Beyond that, it's all speculation.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    THIS IS NOT THE BG3 YOU WERE LOOKING FOR. MOVE ALONG.

/Obi Wan Kenobi voice...
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited October 2018
    O_Bruce said:

To be honest, one tweet is not much of a confirmation. There is little data to work with, and even if true the game might be utterly different to what Baldur's Gate was until that point.

Well kinda two tweets now(reply from Chris Avellone about spilling a secret but it’s not really as conclusive as Brians) and Brian Fargo is not a nobody. It’s like Peter Jackson tweeting he knows another Lord of the Rings is in development. It means a little bit more than a regular jackoff spouting rumours.
    He can't exactly spill the beans on another studio, so it must be his own company. I think bg3 will be a similar set up to how Planescape Tides is effectively "Planescape 2" (in a very liberal sense obv).
    fluke13 said:

He can't exactly spill the beans on another studio, so it must be his own company.

Not necessarily. Fargo is one of the old guard from the Interplay/BIS days and the other members of that old guard group are inside a range of other studios. As old friends I bet they all talk to each other about what's going on in their respective studios, completely off the record.
    kanisatha said:

fluke13 said:

He can't exactly spill the beans on another studio, so it must be his own company.

Not necessarily. Fargo is one of the old guard from the Interplay/BIS days and the other members of that old guard group are inside a range of other studios. As old friends I bet they all talk to each other about what's going on in their respective studios, completely off the record.
    I mean in all actuality letting something "slip" like that is probably just hype to get internet forums such as ours to talk about the existence of a Baldur's Gate 3 video game ?
    I HOPE MINSC COMES BACK!
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    No need to even debate which edition of D&D it will be (5e) nor whether it will be a continuation of BG1/BG2 (no). As to who is going to produce it, we know Beamdog at one point explored this, and presumably hired Gaider for precisely that purpose (with his departure = no BG3 from them). We also know Black Isle had previously started work on BG3 only to have the plug pulled, though their idea was more or less a continuation of IWD2 (see the Wikipedia page for more on this).

One thing's for sure, though. Given how much favorable exposure D&D received from BG1/BG2, there's a desire to repeat that experience with a well-constructed BG3, and not an especially long list of publishers who'd both be able to pull it off and would be willing to make a licensed game. Fingers crossed though!
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Woot!

I really hope this is secret project that Gaider has been working on. Sorry Beamdog fellows you didn't get it but thank you for all the improvements to my favorite game.

**Dances about in an unseemly manner**

BG3 is coming . . .

Oh and to reply to the spiritual successor point. I'm liking the new Star Wars. Not Rogue One. Solo was meh. Different company, different writers but great popcorn movies. If the new BG3 is isometric, infinity engine feel, good writing and either 2nd or 5th edition I'll be happy start an adventure in some place called Baldur's gate near the statue of Minsc and Boo.

So if this is "The Force Awakens" and not "Rogue One" I'll be happy.
    I wonder if Phil Daigle is involved ;)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    spacejaws said:

Well kinda two tweets now(reply from Chris Avellone about spilling a secret but it’s not really as conclusive as Brians

More about it here: https://www.rpgsite.net/news/7843-report-brian-fargo-may-be-working-on-baldur-s-gate-3
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    Julius, do you know if inXile aquired BG licence from Wizards of the Coast ?
This discussion has been closed.