Skip to content

Aielund Saga Enhanced Edition

Comments

• Savant1974Savant1974 Member Posts: 303
    So I've been deep in the editing process with the publisher, while new artwork is being completed. The first book was a bit rough in places (the result of my chopping it back to half its original size over the years!) so it's all being smoothed out before (re?)release. I'll post here when it's done and ready to buy, hopefully it should only be a few more weeks before it's ready to go :)

This process will be repeated for successive books, so it might take some time to get them all back online. Maybe 6 to 8 weeks between each release? That's just a guess from me :)
    aarionnAndarian
  • DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    Thanks. I look forward to reading them.
    Savant1974
  • Kerick45Kerick45 Member Posts: 2
    I enjoyed the Kindle versions of the books, Thanks Savant.
    AndarianSavant1974
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2018
    @Savant1974 , Who are the people on the cover art? Is that Nelise or Criosa? I'm guessing Nelise because of the golden divine-looking glow on the staff. Any reason she was changed from full armor and mace? Maybe to make her look more attractive to potential readers?

Is the male supposed to be the main character, or Dante? What class is the main character in the official canon?

Or did the whole story and cast of characters get changed for novel form?

It looks great, I'm just curious.

Is it available in paperback? I might buy it. A boxed set would be nice after the whole series is finished.
    Savant1974Andarian
    That's Nellise and Aiden on the cover. She doesn't start out in full armour, as with the books her chapter is more aligned with peaceful methods of helping society, hence the quarterstaff. That changes pretty quickly though :)

Aiden is the protagonist. In D&D terms he's sort of a fighter/mage but only casts spells from scrolls or artifacts (magic items!)

We've just got the ebook done so far, but print-on-demand paperbacks are coming in the not too distant future.
    BelgarathMTHAerakarAndarianIsewein
  • DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    Can't wait for the paperbacks.
    Savant1974
  • Xerxes1811Xerxes1811 Member Posts: 65
    Hi Savant, i’d really like to play the Aielund Saga on Steam NWNEE, but I’ve noticed people having issues in the comment section, would it be better to play it the old fashioned way with the GOG Diamond Edition and manually install everything? I like the ease of use with the Steam workshop, but if it’s having issues I may wait or try the GOG Diamond version. Thoughts?
    I've really been out of the loop lately, didn't realise the steam version was having issues. Things like the PRC and the Wemic race not working is to be expected, since the series has a huge amount of custom stuff going on already. The GOG version should be okay (from the nwn vault) just that you're not going to be able to use other custom items.
    Xerxes1811
  • Xerxes1811Xerxes1811 Member Posts: 65

I've really been out of the loop lately, didn't realise the steam version was having issues. Things like the PRC and the Wemic race not working is to be expected, since the series has a huge amount of custom stuff going on already. The GOG version should be okay (from the nwn vault) just that you're not going to be able to use other custom items.

Guess I’ll try the Steam version ad keep my fingers crossed, I saw that you mentioned there was an issue with Intel processors causing problems on the description page so I was a little nervous. Thanks for the reply!
    Savant1974
    Actually that intel issue might have been solved by now! It's been a few months since I checked :smile: Definitely give it a try and see how it goes, I really do prefer playing nwn EE over the gog version because of all the little fixes and improved visuals :smiley:
    Xerxes1811
  • jakinxzjakinxz Member Posts: 7
    So im in act 2 and i recuit maggie but the game list her class as a cleric, isn't she supposed to be a druid? she does have the feats nature sense and weapon proficiency druid, so does she have cleric spells or druid spells?
    She's technically a cleric, so consider her a nature priest :smile:
  • SuperFunHappySuperFunHappy Member Posts: 44
    Okay I just finished playing through this module and rather than make a big lengthy review I'm just going to say what I liked and disliked about the module. Please don't feel offended at my cons list it's just my opinion.

PROS:

*Fights are challenging. Playing the OC, SOTU and HOTU on high difficulty isn't too difficult when playing Bard. Playing this on high difficulty is quite a challenge.

*Great dialogue. I like how it shows what alignment certain dialogue responses are. I usually play Chaotic Good but after playing this I appear to be more Neutral Good. Due to the difficulty of certain fights especially when you are not at a certain level I like how there are peaceful options.

*I have only played through this with Bard so I don't know about the other spells for other classes but I like the new spells for Bard. Stoneskin for Bard really helps.

CONS:

*Very hard to progress without using a guide.

*I played through this module focusing only on the main quest. After finishing the module I felt really tired due to how long it was.

*Seems like the preferred class to play in this module is the Cleric. I could be wrong about this but I have a hard time imagining playing this module with a pure Fighter.

(Spoilers)

*I don't like looting everything I come across. Don't like the surprises that happens while playing through this module like losing everything and having to earn 100,000 gold to hire mercenaries. Had to cheat in order to progress because I didn't want to go through the chore of gaining loot and selling.

PERSONAL MESSAGE:

*I played the EE version of this module with vanilla NWN so I couldn't see the ending. Had to go on Youtube to see it. Sort of disappointing to encounter due to all that time invested. Not your fault Savant. Just felt like I should put it out there.

*Although at times playing this module drove me bonkers I must say I am truly amazed at the sheer amount of effort you put into making this. I like to thank you for making this module.
    Savant1974
    Why couldn't you play through to the end? A technical issue or too hard?
    Whenever I try to run the ending this message appears:

This module was created with a updated version of Neverwinter Nights.

Then after that it tells me how to update.

I assumed this was normal considering that I was playing the EE version of this and my NWN game is vanilla.
    edited October 2018
    Oh dear, I forgot to hack it to 1.69! I can fix that :)

I've just updated the nwn vault version, grab it again and the finale should work for you!
    Thanks for that. I should also add another pro I really liked. Implementing a time system.

(Spoilers)

Like how you need to hold out against the Ironlord until help arrives and how you need to take out the power on the ship before it fires on the city.
    Savant1974
  • BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157

We changed the name of the first story, but here it is :)

Humbug! :P

I always loved the original name as it perfectly described the situation. Plus how often do you hear "abhor" and "vacuum" in the same sentence?

I guess the new name refers to the events of the finale of the first module? Cause I don't think Nel is a soldier of greed!

*Seems like the preferred class to play in this module is the Cleric. I could be wrong about this but I have a hard time imagining playing this module with a pure Fighter.

FWIW I've soloed the series with a pure Fighter/Weapon Master. Frankly I think Cleric is one of the less powerful options given the plentiful healing and the presence of Nellise. Still good, mind you, but I'd rather play a Fighter, Bard, or Mage (Wizard/Sorcerer).

*I don't like looting everything I come across.

I do find this to be a rather interesting comment given you mentioned playing through the original campaign which had loads of random loot everywhere. What other modules/games have you played? Looting everything (meaning defeated enemies and chests in dungeons in this scenario, not robbing the town blind) is pretty standard for NWN, Dragon Age, Divinity: Original Sin, etc.

Don't like the surprises that happens while playing through this module like losing everything

IIRC (and Savant may set the record straight), part of the issue was that originally the saga ended with Act III...so Savant went kind of crazy on handing out some of the items. So when he decided to make Act IV he realized he had a problem -- he could either continue handing out insane stuff or he could do a gear reset. He went with the latter (and I do think that was the correct choice).

having to earn 100,000 gold to hire mercenaries. Had to cheat in order to progress because I didn't want to go through the chore of gaining loot and selling.

Yeah...by the time I hit the 100k bit I usually have about a million gold (nearly 1.3 million gold in my recent playthrough). I even tried to make it easier for people like you by removing the randomness from Appraise. Even if you only looted the bosses/named NPCs/whatever I'd have thought you'd easily have 100k by then...interesting.
    Savant1974
    When I played the OC I didn't loot everything. I made a special rule for myself. Only loot things that were either from pyramid shaped chests, dropped by enemies and chests from boss fights. Even by following these rules I could still get enough useful items for the end game. If I didn't get a good enough item I would just simply sell them and buy better ones in the final act.

Oddly enough I've played Dragon Age. It's been a long time since I played it so forgive me if I can't remember it exactly but I think in that game the loot was not as plentiful compared to Neverwinter Nights which meant I could deal with the idea of looting everything. I could be wrong but like I said I haven't played that game in ages.
    Oh I also like the music as well.
  • Is Aielund and its Mods available on, for NVWN 1 EE on Android 7.0 Mobile smart phone?

How?

Well the series is on Steam, so if the app lets you access steam mods, then yeah you could use it. Otherwise I have no idea as I don't have the android version at this point.
    AndarianBelgarathMTHNotabarbiegirl
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Asturonethoriusaline, if you can get hold of the files ( @Savant1974, are they still upto date on Neverwinter Vault?), it should work for the Android version. Have a look here to see how it would be done.

Haven't tried it myself as I have only just bought NWNEE for Android but I am guessing that it would be the same as adding other custom content.

Gus
    Savant1974
    Yes I believe the NWVault files are up to date, I tend to update those and the Steam files at the same time so it should all work (fingers crossed).
    GusindaNotabarbiegirl
  • fisab68fisab68 Member Posts: 12
    Can anyone tell me if the intel issue is still causing problems with this set of modules ? Will a multiplayer group have a more bug free experience in Diamond if one of the machine is more susceptible to the intel bug?
    Played Act 1 with group of 6 in Diamond. Thinking of moving group over to EE.
    This is more of a general MP issue than an Aielund one.

So 4 of us are playing Aielund in Multiplayer (NWN-EE) - brilliant fun. Finished Act1.
    2 of us started Act 2 one evening. Arrived in Fairloch at the end of the session.
    Now the 4 of us are trying to play the next session.
    2 of us are in Fairloch, but the other 2 start the Act on the Redoubtable, and not in the Dock District, but out at sea where no NPC will interact with them so there's no way of them joining with the other 2 in Fairloch.

Any suggestion anyone on how we resolve this?
    So you played the opening part of act 2 and ended up in Fairloch as a group, then when you loaded next time, two players were back at the start? That's a new one! Definitely sounds like a game issue, not a mod issue.

This console command should be done by any player who needs to get put into the middle of the docklands area.

DebugMode 1
    dm_jumptopoint 85 60 FairlochDocklands
    DebugMode 0
    Andarian
    Thanks a million for the reply, you are very kind.
    That solution should work well, thanks.

Absolutely brilliant module by the way. Highly recommended.
    Savant1974
    Thank you, and good luck! btw, I've no idea why this happened, and it might happen again so finger's crossed :)
    Notabarbiegirl