Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity Minimal and No Reload Thread (spoilers)

Comments

• Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    Heya! It's me, Alesia! Is anyone out there and interested in this thread? I'm considering posting a run.

Late to the party, I started playing Pillars of Eternity a little over a week ago. I completed my first run on easy (many reloads), followed immediately by my first run on normal (3 reloads). Yesterday I finished my first no-reload on normal. I think I'm ready to try a no-reload on hard. Would anyone be interested in seeing this? I'm sure I'd benefit from feedback. I'm still very nearly a PoE novice.

Best,

A.
    FinneousPJOrlonKronsteenBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Video or text?
    Text and pictures, no reload challenge style!
    FinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Why not although wouldn't PotD be more interesting ;)
    Alesia_BHJuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Alesia_BH , I'd love to read about your run.
    JuliusBorisovAlesia_BHsemiticgoddess
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    YES!
    Alesia_BHsemiticgoddess
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Please?
    Alesia_BHsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've just started playing Pillars of Eternity and I've already died twice to the bandits in Valewood. It seems a lone mage is awfully easy to kill, and Wizard's Double doesn't seem that reliable (I got nailed by a critical hit immediately after casting). Camping supplies appear limited even in Easy mode, which means we've got very few spells to work with.
    Alesia_BHBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2018
    Hey! I'm super-pleased that you're getting in on the action, Semiticgod! I'm even more pleased to hear that you, like I, haven't the faintest idea what the rock you're doing. Being novices -and learning alongside each other- will be crazy fun!
    FinneousPJsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2018

I've just started playing Pillars of Eternity and I've already died twice to the bandits in Valewood. It seems a lone mage is awfully easy to kill, and Wizard's Double doesn't seem that reliable (I got nailed by a critical hit immediately after casting). Camping supplies appear limited even in Easy mode, which means we've got very few spells to work with.

I made that mistake, too! Taking on the Valewood bandits solo at level 1 is not a good idea- at least not for many characters. My paladin can do it safely, wearing the brigandine from Heodan's stock, but I had trouble with other characters.

I've found a solid safe route for the early game, into Chapter II and level 4 (It works consistently on normal- testing it now on hard). I'll share it in Ashoka's upcoming entries.

Best,

A.
    Post edited by Alesia_BH on
    Serg_BlackStrider[Deleted User]
    You've started a run, Serg! Awesome!

Good hunting!

Cheers,

A.
    Serg_BlackStrider
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    Alesia_BH said:

(If you've inferred that Cassia's real mission is to rescue me from Durance's gravelly voiced, pseudo-social-darwinist horse-pucky, you're totally right...)

Gods! I've completely forgot one can have hirelings in PoE. Sorry, Durance, but you are out of the Crew. Welcome, Xoti!

Ashoka is looking good. Keep on it, Alesia!
    Alesia_BHFinneousPJ
    edited November 2018
    Yeah. Durance is the ultimate buzz-killer of RPG NPCs.

When I do party runs, I create conversations between the characters in my head. Durance always wrecks it. I'm so glad I came up with the idea of Cassia. Not only will we not have to deal with Durance, we'll get to kill him, too. Yay!

Best,

A.

(Btw, I named my priest Cassia in memory of your Cassia, lost in the Underdark.)
    FinneousPJSerg_BlackStrider
    edited November 2018
    How do you build Eder and Aloth, Serg?

(I'm happy with my Pallegina, but I think I can get more out of E & A)
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited November 2018
    Alesia_BH said:

Btw, I named my priest Cassia in memory of your Cassia, lost in the Underdark.

Yeah, I've guessed so =) Thanks!
    Alesia_BH said:

How do you build Eder and Aloth, Serg?

Eder is simple: dualwielder in heavy armor:

Not very creative, but fighter class doesn't assume too much creativity, unfortunately...

Aloth, as Wizard, is far more complex and flexible. That depends on how you would like to have him - like cannon squishy spell slinging dude or rock solid melee basher. There is very nice spell for ranged Wizard - Kalakoth's Minor Blights, which are summoned weapon with an assortment of elemental damage and benefit from whichever weapon focus you choose/have alone with Blast/Penetrating Blast and Marksman so it's pretty viable to build a character around this one single spell:

I didn't made 'my' Aloth as melee grunt but rather as more cannon Wizard and since spell casting per rest is limited (with only two camping supplies available on PotD) he mostly shoot via Rod/Wand with Blast/Penetrating Blast being essential choice:

Hope it helps.
    Post edited by Serg_BlackStrider on
    Alesia_BHBelgarathMTHGrond0
    That definitely helps! Thanks!
    Serg_BlackStriderBelgarathMTH
    edited November 2018
    Ashoka: Pale Elf, Kind Wayfarer- Entry 6: Temple of Woedica

Progress! Ashoka has completed the Temple of Woedica quest and reached level 5.

Upon arriving in Defiance Bay, we recovered Ossric's family armor, choosing the peaceful option.

We retrieved our quest reward, left the city, completed some minor tasks in the Guilded Vale area, and then, finally, descended into the catacombs.

The party now tends to divide itself into two teams. Team A consists of Ashoka, Eder, and Cassia: Team B Ogrnd, Sagani, and Aloth. Itumaak moves between the two. Both teams contain a priest, meaning both have their own Concentrated Ground and Inspiring Radiance. Team B is squishier, but they can also deal damage quicker, and Ogrnd, with his shield equipped, is serviceable as an emergency tank. Both groups are self sufficient, although Team B could, in theory be over run.

Here we see an ideal situation, with Team A, aided by Itumaak, engaging in melee while Team B provides ranged support, enhanced by Ogrnd's spells.

Of course, it can't always work that way. Sometimes Team B will have to engage enemies at close range. That's exactly what we did in the focal battle of this quest: the troll/sporeling encounter over by the Woedica hood.

We could have used the bridge here, but I was very confident heading into this fight and I saw it as an opportunity to practice open field, close quarter tactics in a safe environment. I'm glad I did that. The battle was satisfying, fun, and educational.

We took our Rest: Accuracy v Primordial bonus and ate some food. We then engaged with Team A leading the way. Concerated Ground from Cassia and Strange Mercies from Ashoka -combined with high deflection and heavy armor- made Team A very nearly untouchable. At this stage, we see Team A making progress on the sporelings, while receiving support from Team B. The line is starting to break now, though, and Team B will soon have to defend itself.

Ogrnd fires up Consecrated Ground in preparation for Team B's stand.

Looking good- although that troll on Sagani will soon become a problem.

Sagani, whose bow is no longer needed, breaks for safety while Team A finishes up its foes and prepares to join Team B to close.

Ogrnd takes a well earned Withdraw after heavy tanking duty. Sagani re-engages, now at a safe distance.

Fin!

A little sloppy -that troll should have never reached Sagani, for example- but passable and satisfying. We're getting better. I'll fill you in on the level up choices and recent item moves in our next post. Toodles-doodles!

Best,

A.
    Grond0Serg_BlackStriderBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.