2. Swashbuckler
      22.58%
    3. other (please specify)
        9.68%
Post edited by Dordledum on
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Has to be Fighter/Thief. Why? Because backstabbing.
    Rik_KirtaniyaJuliusBorisovAerakar
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Swashbuckler sounds like an improved fighter/thief at first glance because it lets you put two pips in a weapon while accumulating thief points at a faster pace than a fighter/thief would. However, you don't need the extra thief points since you can't backstab and the two pips actually aren't all that helpful either since you don't get the APR bonus two pips normally grant.
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    Swashy can dual to mage which is kind of awesome. But I see the merit in the answers above.
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    Swashbucklers are overrated. They are forever stuck with 1APR, have no backstab and don't get the dual wielding style for free, which means it will take you twelve levels to start actually hitting things sometimes(assuming you start with two pips in Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-to which you absolutely should)

Oddly enough, they make decent ranged characters because their bonuses apply to ranged weapon as well - give them either a Boomerang Dagger or Tuigan's.
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    There was a similar poll five years ago, which you might be interested to see. :)

I prefer Fighter/Thief because they can have more than 1 base APR, backstab, and most importantly, two sets of HLAs. Also, they don't have the item restrictions of a thief even before they get UAI, which is for a considerable part of the game.
    DordledumJuliusBorisovAerakar

There was a similar poll five years ago, which you might be interested to see. :)

Interesting read! Overall F/T sounds stronger, but dualing from a lvl 10 swashy to fighter sounds as an interesting alternative as well.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I always found multiclasses to be incredibly fun to play (all the extra level ups are pretty great too). Swashbuckler is one of my favorite single classes though. Its a tough call.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Swashbuckler using darts or shortbows are nasty, very pleasant solo of BG1. Trying to be a straight up dual wielder is probably a bad idea in BG1, though well into BG2 it becomes very viable.

A swashbuckler can be extremely versatile with thieving abilities in BG1 already, though stealth probably shouldn't be your priority.
    DordledumThacoBellAerakar
    Dordledum said:

Dualing from a lvl 10 swashy to fighter sounds as an interesting alternative as well.
    just wondering, haven't got a dualed character into SOA and TOB lately. Are they the same as multiclass characters for HLAs and stronghold access, etc?
    Unfortunately no, you can't access HLAs from the first class. That's one reason why, for example, Anomen is so much worse than a multiclass fighter/cleric at high levels.
    Dordledum
    edited November 2018
    jsaving said:

Unfortunately no, you can't access HLAs from the first class. That's one reason why, for example, Anomen is so much worse than a multiclass fighter/cleric at high levels.

that's a pity, I do like playing humans and planning duals with kits.

I'll probably stick with my plan on going Swashy 10 and dual to Fighter, I'm not a fan of backstabbing and like to go for grand mastery, :)
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I love fighter/thief characters, and game loves them back. In SoD and SoA they get very powerful armors and BG (entirely), differently than Icewind Dale, rewards backstabbing a lot. Many difficult battles can be ended easily with a backstab.
    AerakarThacoBell
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    What is everyone's favorite F/T race these days? Elf, halfling, dwarf, 1/2 orc?

I am partial to dwarves or halflings myself for the saving throw bonuses, with dwarves being my melee-focused F/T and halflings my ranged-focused F/T.
    ThacoBellSkatanStummvonBordwehr
    @Aerakar I tend to flip back and forth between halflings and half-orcs. My true pick would be kobolds if they were available.
    Aerakar
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited November 2018
    Aerakar said:

What is everyone's favorite F/T race these days? Elf, halfling, dwarf, 1/2 orc?

I am partial to dwarves or halflings myself for the saving throw bonuses, with dwarves being my melee-focused F/T and halflings my ranged-focused F/T.

I prefer Elves, first because i don't like shorty races (except dwarves, but not as thieves) and second because i like the thac0 bonuses with long swords. In Bg the great +2 long sword is available very, very soon and it's worthy till the end (and even is SoD)
    Edit: talking about fighter/thief made me roll a new character, and got lucky with it in 10 minutes. Usually i need a lot of time in order to get some good numbers
    Aerakar
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    AerakarDreadKhan
    edited November 2018
    I personally don't like the hood. Very annoying, almost reason to switch character again.

Is there somewhere a picture overview of the different paper dolls with corresponding classes?
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    You can modify the paperdolls with ee keeper.
    Danacm said:

You can modify the paperdolls with ee keeper.

only on pc, :/
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Oh yes,unfortunately. I hope some day beamdog will integrate a paperdoll chooser funkcion
    DordledumAerakarDaevelonStummvonBordwehr
    edited November 2018
    Still considering my options. There are too many fun ones!!!

- Swashbuckler all the way
    - Swashbuckler => Fighter dual
    - Kensai => Thief dual
    - Berserker => Thief dual
    - Fighter / Thief

What I'm looking for is not necessarily a backstabber, but building the ultimate melee dual-wielding powerhouse with some thieving abilities (detect traps/open locks/detect illusions).
    Dordledum said:

What I'm looking for is not necessarily a backstabber, but building the ultimate melee dual-wielding powerhouse with some thieving abilities (detect traps/open locks/detect illusions).

Go no farther! Fighter/Thief is what you want! B)
    ThacoBellAerakar
    edited November 2018

Go no farther! Fighter/Thief is what you want! B)

My main objection vs Fighter/Thief is that I can't get Weapon Grandmastery for extra APR etc. I'm leaning towards a dual class at the moment.

Probably Swashbuckler with 2 pips in dual and 2 in scimitars/wakizashi/ninja-to, dual at lvl 10 to fighter, and then go for grand mastery with either bastard swords and/or long swords and/or flails.
    Grandmastery isn't all that great. Its certainly not neccessary.
    AerakarRik_Kirtaniya
    edited November 2018
    jsaving said:

At high levels, multiclassing gives you much more melee power because you can take fighter as well as thief HLAs. If you dual then you can't take critical strike, whirlwind attacks, etc which would make you less of a "melee dual-wielding powerhouse."

Which are all fighter HLAs, and the current plan is to dual from Swashy into Fighter.

But I'll probably roll an half-elf Fighter / Thief too (no elf, the paper dolls look terrible).

Maybe play one Good and the other Evil.
    edited November 2018
    Dordledum said:

Which are all fighter HLAs, and the current plan is to dual from Swashy into Fighter.

See here for a list of all fighter HLAs.

Dual-classing from a Swashbuckler to a Fighter will make you lose all the cool thief HLAs! Just look at them! You surely don't want to miss those? (Use Any Item is one of them!)

My advice: get a dwarven fighter/thief! You won't regret it! ;)

(Yes, dwarves make the best melee-powerhouses! High saves, high constitution, an awesome paperdoll, and not to mention their high racial bonuses to many thieving skills!)
    DaevelonThacoBellAerakarsemiticgoddess
    Thief trap HLAs are the only ones in the game that provide a nearly guaranteed instant-auto-win against most of the game's strongest foes including Melissan, dragons, etc. Combining that with fighter melee HLAs and dwarven save bonuses seems like a great idea to me.
    ThacoBellDaevelonAerakar
    edited November 2018
    Finally decided for a CN female half-elf ftr/thf. Game on!

Settled for a 86 point roll, because it had a 18/00. Pretty pleased.
    DaevelonPermidion_StarkThacoBellAerakar
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    thespace said:

backstabbing, HP, 18xx STR, potions of giant strength, helmets, fighter high level powers, possible fighter stronghold

i prefer the way the female human thief (swashbuckler) doll looks over f/t though.

Thief Female Human sprite best sprite.

Changing your apperance with EEKeeper is trivial though.