Skip to content

Swashbuckler or Fighter/Thief

The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Swashbuckler or Fighter/Thief240 votes
    1. Swashbuckler
      49.17%
    2. Fighter/Thief
      50.83%

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Ummm... EEKeeper to be a Fighter/Swashbuckler? ;-)
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Two sets of HLAs to play with, larger potential repertoire pre-Use Any Item, similar thieving levels, and the potential to backstab all make a fighter/thief much more enjoyable in my book.

Whether or not they're the superior class is another discussion.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Fighter/Thief in the sense of Kensai->Thief dual-class. Kai-fueled backstabs make me giggle.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I personally go with Swashbuckler. The thief abilities are a little flexibility, and eventually the bonuses to armor and damage they gain will go beyond what fighters get with heavier armor and more weapon proficiencies (sp).In addition, if you take it through ToB, the use any item perk will allow helmets and heavy armor to be worn as well. I don't think there are any real downsides as opposed to a fighter/thief. Anyone is welcome to correct if I'm wrong however.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    @thedamages: Swashbucklers do not gain APR from specialization, and they also do not receive the level-based APR bonuses of fighters. That puts them 2 APR behind, which is quite significant; APR contributes more to damage output than any other stat. Even at very high levels, Swashbucklers have trouble matching fighter damage, particularly if those fighters are kitted. They are practically inferior to Kensai->Thieves in almost every respect.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    It's always nice to have options...
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    I found swashbucklers to be fun. Obviously, they're not as ridiculously powerful as Kensai/thieves, but what is? They lose a couple things compared to fighter/thieves, but they do level ridiculously fast in comparison.

@thedamages: Swashbucklers do not gain APR from specialization, and they also do not receive the level-based APR bonuses of fighters. That puts them 2 APR behind, which is quite significant; APR contributes more to damage output than any other stat. Even at very high levels, Swashbucklers have trouble matching fighter damage, particularly if those fighters are kitted. They are practically inferior to Kensai->Thieves in almost every respect.

True, but really anything is inferior to a dual involving Kensai XD

• Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    You forgot the option that lets you dual-class out of Swashbuckler INTO fighter. Level 6 at earliest if you want 100 in Open Locks and Find Traps, level 10 if you want more bonuses from swashbuckler and more thieving skills (Detect Illusions comes to mind).
    Interesting idea, but the thief epic skills are far better than the fighter ones if playing all the way through Tob.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Swashbucklers. Dashing, Sexy and fast leveling.

Also helms are ugly anyway. :P
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Left the shadows BACK ATTACK! Thats why.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I personally prefer the Fighter/Thief, but that is because I am a closet powergamer. I also have a weird irrational hatred for the name 'swashbuckler', the reasons for which I have yet to discern.
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    if you wanna play for fun play swashbuckler, but if you like own enemies and make op hero play Fighter/Thief, i suggest you to make first assasin and then give him fighter (if you like play fighter/thief) my friend made some day this hero and when he backstab his hero make so big dmg and some crits.
  • leddyhsleddyhs Member Posts: 54
    Swashbuckler into a Fighter dual class? ;D
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    I'd go F/T tbh.. two reasons; Fighter stronghold and declining Thief stronghold gives you +3 shortsword early in BG2.

i'm addicted to the fighter stronghold.. be a big ol lord and all, it's fun. As opposed to crap thief one

Retaining backstabb is very nice for ganking mages.. both HLA's.. GWW and UAI is good for you.

Specializing in Bastardswords (The one that casts larlochs drain combined with paladin one.. so overpowered it's ridiculous. Heal on hit AND 40% magic resistance? yes please)

Swashbuckler is good though. Perhaps the best and most utility-retaining kit of all the typically weaker classes. (Ranger, Thief, Bard, Druid) Since it's main drawback (no backstab) is a useless skill in ToB anyway
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Fighter/Thief for powergamers. Or, if you want to single-handedly kill everything.
    Swashbucklers for RolePlayers, who want to use all the tricks that a Thief can pull out of a hat. Or wants a single-class thief with it's levelling.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...and Swashbuckler is the real Pirate class ;-)
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    In a complete playthrough... Fighter/Thief might be better endgame (like around ToB)

But Swashbuckler being a singleclass it levels up and gets all the thief skills you will need much faster making them better earlier on in my opinion... Also, Swashbucklers are not too bad in a fight at high levels since they get as a HLA in place of Assassination, due to the lack of backstab, Whirlwind Attack.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I played an evil elf swashbuckler by the name of Drizzt once. The real Drizzt didn't like this (for some odd reason) but I enjoyed the class :)
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    I know this is late but assassination plus improved haste is ridiculous
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    If you're playing from BG1 through to TOB, I'd go fighter/thief without hesitation. Swashbucklers are all well and good, but they lack weapon proficiency points early on. Only having 4 points by the end of BG1 sucks badly.

A swashy should be dual-wielding in melee while making smart-aleck remarks. It's difficult to do that with only 2 pips to allocate at level 1.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I have an MP short bow swash and he is a blast. As long as you don't mind the lack of backstabbing, go swash.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Swashbucklers get to wear feathers in their hats; fighter/thieves not so much.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Swashbucklers, since women look hot, like the above examples.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited September 2013
    thespace said:

I appreciate everyone's input. Can't say I'd want to duel from swashbuckler into fighter, b/c I wouldn't want to cap my thief skills. I might consider it if I could duel from fighter into swashbuckler though.

With the magic of Shadowkeeper you can do just that! And, from personal experience, the end result of a fighter 7/dualed to swashbuckler is AWESOMESAUCE!