Swashbuckler or Fighter/Thief

Comments

• WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    F/T = bacstab+extra attacks
    Swash=better attacks + good dual class posibilities
    you choose
    Chack
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Wolk Fighter/thieves also get 2 sets of HLAs, better HP, more proficiency points and wider weapon proficiency selection. It may sound picky, but it all adds up.
    [Deleted User]
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    @Corvino

i forgot about those, other points in favor of F/T
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I prefer a F/M/T to a F/T... And who knows with the possibility of BG3 maybe you'll be able to take your F/M/T to level 9 mage spells... It's only downside if you ask me... Not that you'll miss that with a F/T

Or go Bard and Blade...

Actually SwashedBuckles are pretty good too...

But if your gonna miss Backstabs... Well you shoulda picked Assassin...
    FinneousPJ
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If you want to try a dual, kensai into swashbuckler is arguably the best melee class. That way you also get to keep upping thief skills. It does to lead to a bit of rough mid game in BGII, as 13 is the ooptimal level to dual at.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited September 2013
    @thedamages: there is no way to dual Kensai into Swashbuckler legally. You can only dual kits into pure classes, you cannot dual into kits under any circumstances.

It's possible to do the combo via editing tools, but it's far from legit. Naturally, it really is an amazing damage-dealer with those double-stacking buffs, but only because it was never meant to be...
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I prefer the Fighter/Thief, but I also have fond memories of a Swashbuckler I played. I just like the extra "True" Thief skill points, and the APR stuffs. :/
    JuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited September 2013
    @Lord_Tansheron I could have sworn that was possible (goes and checks) huh. My memory must be playing tricks on me. Thanks for the correction.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    High level Swashbucklers are amazing. I played that my first run through. If you can get yourself Blackrazor, watch out! But, even without it, I found that I didn't get hit all that often, especially with thief HLA like UAI.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Swashbuckler is more interesting. I always go with a single-class if it can accomplish similar things to a dual class. Dual-classing is for munchkins, I say!
    Wandering_Minstrel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Long swords!
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    thespace said:

Looks like swashbuckler is in the lead. I wouldn't have guessed this, however it must be fun to warrant such popularity

If it had a less cool name, i doubt it would be.

[Deleted User]
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    i prefer fighter/thief, but if you go swashbuckler this can be your theme song =p
    SCARY_WIZARD[Deleted User]Elendar
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited September 2013
    Heh. 'Shortfall.' What you did there. I see it!
    [Deleted User]ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514

Heh. 'Shortfall.' What you did there. I see it!

i'm sure the dwarf would certainly 'rise' to the occasion and not let the dexterity penalty 'bring him down'. if anything the health regeneration he gets will help 'keep him up'

sorry, couldn't help myself =p
    ThacoBellCutlassJack[Deleted User]
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    I just like the idea of a swashbuckler, fighting with finesse puncturing the egos of the powerful. Never been much of a backstabber. :)
    badbromanceThacoBell
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    I'm trying one this playthrough.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Kaigen said:

Screw Elves, go for a Dwarven swashbuckler. Flaunt the stereotypes! Let your mind melt at the thought of a hybrid Dwarf/Pirate accent! Sure you get a Dex penalty, but the racial bonuses balance that out and a single-classed thief with full skill points should have no problem making up for the shortfall.

This is actually an amazing idea.
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    Love F/T. Does Swashies have the same APR?
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited September 2013
    Cactus said:

Love F/T. Does Swashies have the same APR?

No a swashbuckler can't achieve the same APR as a fighter/thief. With that said however, a swashbuckler will have a superior thac0, damage per hit and armor class thanks to its kit bonuses though this advantage isn't as noticeable till very higher levels.

Also keep in mind, however, that swashbucklers get the whirlwind attack HLA so apr may be less of a concern.
    @Nic_Mery: I don't think Swashbucklers have superior THAC0, as thief THAC0 progression caps at 10, vs. fighter progression which goes to 0. A Swashbuckler would need to reach lvl50 to gain -10 to THAC0 from the kit bonus.
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    Upon creation, F/T is clearly superior. I like my CHARNAME to be great through all the game, not only in endgame. This is how it looked at level 1:

F/T with 18/xx STR get more DMG and THAC0 from start compared to a 18 STR Swash
    F/T with 18 CON starts with 12 HP compared to 8 HP for a Swash
    Swash with DEX 18 start with AC 5, F/T starts with AC 6 (unarmored, and F/T can equip a heavy armor in the beginning if wanted)
    F/T starts with 3/2 APR, Swash starts with 1
    F/T can place 4 proficiency points, can backstab and has a wider weapon selection, Swash can only place 2 proficiency points
    RnRClown

@Nic_Mery: I don't think Swashbucklers have superior THAC0, as thief THAC0 progression caps at 10, vs. fighter progression which goes to 0. A Swashbuckler would need to reach lvl50 to gain -10 to THAC0 from the kit bonus.

Ah I guess you are correct on that front.
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Swash->Fighter. Best THAC0 going around.
    S-F is quite a nice combo that I do like a lot. If you want thieving skills and don't care about backstabs, traps, or UAI, then it's the best choice by far. If you do care about these things, go Kensai->Thief.

S-F is quite a nice combo that I do like a lot. If you want thieving skills and don't care about backstabs, traps, or UAI, then it's the best choice by far. If you do care about these things, go Kensai->Thief.

If you wanna be totally insane you could take swashbuckler high enough for UAI and then dual to fighter LOL... but thats kinda nuts
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, that's "getting the combo working after you've already finished the game" late.
    I've tried the UAI dual before, and it wasn't as impressive as I thought. As @Iamaros rightly says, you just spend way too much time being either half for such a minor gain. The best thing UAI gives you is Scarlet Ninja-to, and it's not worth it for that. Just go K->T if you can't live without it, you'll be much better off.