Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    On Health Care:

The overuse of emergency/urgent care is a problem, though not really specific to a public health system. Even with private insurers you do not want them to make an unilateral call that your visit to the ER was not needed. I think money is a bad skin to have in the game here; it will help, but at the cost of people's lives. In my opinion the solution is two-fold:
    1. Better education on health matters
    2. Effective triage
    People with sniffles and no other symptoms should just have to wait longer that someone who is running a 41° C fever. With this your time (which should be valuable to you) becomes your skin in the game.

Regarding the cost: first off, many studies have already shown that a public system would likely reduce overall costs. Using a standard progressive income tax instead of paying for health insurance would not change much. People with insurance already subsidize the ER room visits for people without insurance.

Secondly, the US needs to get a grip on their insane costs in health care. I have heard claims that the US supposedly subsidizing research for other countries (as pharma companies can only make a good profit with their drugs in the US) & about better outcomes in a narrow range of cancer types. Regardless of the truth of these claims, these are not the real cost drivers.

For example, prescription drugs make up only about 10% of the health expenditures. Standard items of care like delivering babies, routine lab tests, ambulances and overnight hospital stays are often insanely overpriced in the US. This may be somewhat independent of public vs private health care, but with a public system you gain a very powerful negotiator on behalf of the patients to bring costs down.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited November 2018
    DrakeICN said:

Dear Lord, it is the Jordan Petterson of the 1800th (or whatever) century, covering up a lack of substance with fancy words, overly convoluted sentences and an aura of smugness.

As it happens On Liberty is usually considered as more to the left than the right of the political spectrum. The Liberal Democratic party's (a left leaning party in the UK) leader is presented with a copy on their election for example. It's fairly typical of the writing style for the 19th century.

Why do you think it lacks substance?

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Ammar said:

Secondly, the US needs to get a grip on their insane costs in health care. I have heard claims that the US supposedly subsidizing research for other countries (as pharma companies can only make a good profit with their drugs in the US) & about better outcomes in a narrow range of cancer types. Regardless of the truth of these claims, these are not the real cost drivers.

For example, prescription drugs make up only about 10% of the health expenditures. Standard items of care like delivering babies, routine lab tests, ambulances and overnight hospital stays are often insanely overpriced in the US. This may be somewhat independent of public vs private health care, but with a public system you gain a very powerful negotiator on behalf of the patients to bring costs down.

As a biomedical engineer that's not completely untrue even in the device business...
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Mantis37 said:

DrakeICN said:

Dear Lord, it is the Jordan Petterson of the 1800th (or whatever) century, covering up a lack of substance with fancy words, overly convoluted sentences and an aura of smugness.

As it happens On Liberty is usually considered as more to the left than the right of the political spectrum. The Liberal Democratic party's (a left leaning party in the UK) leader is presented with a copy on their election for example. It's fairly typical of the writing style for the 19th century.

Why do you think it lacks substance?

Ok, let me translate the gibberish for you;
    1. Let the rube speak
    2. But pay him no attention, because he is full of shit and also he isn't civil enough

There, I did not need 5000 words to say it. Hmmm... but now that I think about it, it is sound advice if the principles where to be applied across all media platforms. No more Trump on the telli, he'd be just rambling on and on Grampa Simpson style in front of his 50 paid actors and that would have been the end of it.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    I'm glad you found some substance to it :). Sadly it seems like Mill was a bit optimistic about how persuasive extreme language can be though- these days adherents for 'minority' opinions like conspiracies can easily form networks and become self-reinforcing. It also seems as if persistent use of language over many years can shift the 'Overton Window' of what it's socially permissible to say...

One other interesting thing is that Mill was big on the public/ private distinction which has also become blurred- e.g. If I am recorded saying something hateful to friends at home and the clip is posted to YouTube. Some TV personalities haven't known when to stop talking when they think the cameras are off either...

I concur with Grond0 that a law applying mainly to threats makes more sense than those which ban anti-semitic, racist, homophobic etc slurs.
    Mantis37 said:

I'm glad you found some substance to it :). Sadly it seems like Mill was a bit optimistic about how persuasive extreme language can be though- these days adherents for 'minority' opinions like conspiracies can easily form networks and become self-reinforcing. It also seems as if persistent use of language over many years can shift the 'Overton Window' of what it's socially permissible to say...

Indeed. And that shifts the overton window of what is permissible to do as well as it might fuel unhinged individual desire for violence and help them pick the scapegoat that should be the target for said violence. But more importantly, it lessen the push back politicians encounter when trying to pass legislation for both 1) punishing the scapegoats* and 2) anti-democratic (we need these laws to protect ourselves from the scapegoats). Which changes the attitude of law enforcement - which increases the risk of supporters getting away with hate crimes towards the scapegoats. Which may lead to the scapegoats taking revenge, whether it be by petty acts or dissidence - which further fuels the hate. which further lends support to the politicians. Et cetera. It is interesting how intolerance walks hand in hand with authoritarianism. Can't you just hate minorities, women and the LBTQG community without simultaneously wishing for violent oppression of the media and the opposition? But no, all empirical data suggest these things belong together.

USA is on the path Germany was on - it just has not escalated as quickly and may never, because there are more checks and balances in place, and more opposition. It is also possible the bottom of the barrel is not as deep, and child cages is the worst we will see, even if they retain power in 2018 and 2020 and bypass more checks and balances, (from the government - what unhinged people might do is another issue, we already, after all, had a synagogue attack) because Trump and his lackeys simply just does not have more than that in them. I mean, he keeps calling the press the enemy of the people over and over, but maybe he is just a shit-talker and will stop at words.

That said, USA is definitely playing with fire. It's like the frog and slowly increasing the temperature of the water**; freedom is diminished one babystep at a time, law enforcement becomes more lax towards the powerful but more oppressive towards the powerless one babystep at a time, the leaders powers are increased one babystep at a time*** so none really notices how or why or when it happened, but all of a sudden a coup d'etat occurs, and the police and the military does not interfere despite the fact that it is legally bound to do so. It looks like the country was taken in one fell swoop, but in reality it wasn't. It was years, decades, into the making, babystep by babystep weakening the opposition to the usurpers.

* Note that there may be a kernel of truth in the scapegoating. 9/11 fueled anti-Islam sentiments - moderate Muslims had no part in it, but Al-Qaida are Islamist's and that's just the way it is. The supporters of divisive politicians often do not make such refined distinctions, leading all Muslims to be painted with the same brush. In fact, scapegoating works the best when there is a kernel of truth, or at least perceived truth (regardless how unfair it may be).
    ** Except that that is actually an urban myth. As a biologist who went ahead and tried it put it "If the walls are not to high for the frog to jump over, it will". But you know, it is still a good metaphor, so it does not really matter that it isn't true.
    (Source: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/27/17144198/gerrymandering-brennan-center-report-midterms-democrats-house-2018)

Now, hate speech laws have certainly been misused (see: Pug Nazi fine of 800 GBP) and abused (see: legitimate criticism of Israel is a form of anti-Antisemitism) but we also cannot be naive. It's all fun and games until you get decapitated by government thugs because you voiced your opinion against the dear leader (which is nowhere near comparable to getting deplatformed because you incited violence, so stop your victimization already).
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited November 2018
    The fact is, there are no hate-speech laws in the US. There are hate-crime laws, but those are effectively basically just a supposed "deterrent" just like the death penalty is, and only apply after a heinous act has already been committed.

The only consequences in this country for speech are in the court of public opinion, which is simply other people exercising their speech against yours. And the only actual laws I have seen proposed on this topic in the last two years have all come from Republican state legislatures.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I want to thank @JoenSo and @Grond0 for giving actual examples of what hate speech laws look like and how they would be applied, rather than just vague "we need to punish people for what they say."

@LadyRhian Your Hitler example is not remotely close to what I've been asking. Hitler was in a place of leadership. Even if he didn't draft anything, EVERY decision on policy still had to go through him. He was DIRECTLY responsible for everything that happened under him. I also don't recall not answering any of your questions, do you wanna state them for me again so I can address them?
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    The only consequences in this country for speech are in the court of public opinion, which is simply other people exercising their speech against yours.

That's probably true if you are a progressive, and thus your ideology is in line with the ruling elites. It is most certainly not true for everyone else. Institutions come down on you with the fire and fury of a thousand suns for speaking anything less than the progressive official narrative. You can't even be a Ben Shapiro or Jordan Peterson, as milquetoast as milquetoast gets, without institutional backlash. The precious sensibilities of Silicon Valley and others in positions of power to censor are not the court of public opinion, they are simply the ones whose opinions are rigidly enforced, and all public figures have to fall in line because all are dependent on their platforms for any sort of far reaching voice and any sort of impact in public life. These people have audiences, have masses of people who want to hear them. No greater freedom of speech exists in the academic world in our media culture or any place where ideas should be discussed and where that freedom really matters. Jordan Peterson isn't my cup of tea, but if someone could nearly get fired for showing his work since it is like "neutrally showing a video of Hitler", only saved by a recording of the argument, I don't want to hear about freedom of speech. I realize this particular example is Canadian, but it's emblematic of the same stifling authoritarian ideologues we face here who think they are in a position to decide who is and is not fit for public life but who really are just enforcing their own hegemony by whatever means they can. The EU and it's Article 13 meme bans come to mind as an expression of this impulse.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited November 2018

the opinion "black people are less intelligent than white people" is now generally reckoned to be an obnoxious view, but would not be hate speech

the threat "any black men that come sniffing after our womenfolk should be strung up" would be hate speech

I wouldn't put it under the banner of hate speech, but I think it is reasonable to support criminalizing the advocating of violence in general, and not just the imminent call to violence that US law criminalizes. That would be as far as I would go though.
    I don't think its quite so far reaching, but there is merit to @WarChiefZeke 's lengthy post.
    @semiticgod I agree fully. This does all constitute harassment, but thats not the problem. The problem is the annonymity with which this can be done.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Public figures are a different story. They have older, sturdier reputations backed by other events, and supporters who would counteract any attacks on them. Their lives aren't going to be ruined by a single controversy, and since they play a big role in the free marketplace of ideas, being criticized is part of the package. And public figures who have political power (that is, those who hold office) need to be scrutinized.

But some construction worker or computer programmer posting an opinion on Facebook? Keep them off the battlefield; they don't have enough armor.
    edited November 2018

That's probably true if you are a progressive, and thus your ideology is in line with the ruling elites. It is most certainly not true for everyone else. Institutions come down on you with the fire and fury of a thousand suns for speaking anything less than the progressive official narrative. You can't even be a Ben Shapiro or Jordan Peterson, as milquetoast as milquetoast gets, without institutional backlash. The precious sensibilities of Silicon Valley and others in positions of power to censor are not the court of public opinion, they are simply the ones whose opinions are rigidly enforced, and all public figures have to fall in line because all are dependent on their platforms for any sort of far reaching voice and any sort of impact in public life. These people have audiences, have masses of people who want to hear them. No greater freedom of speech exists in the academic world in our media culture or any place where ideas should be discussed and where that freedom really matters. Jordan Peterson isn't my cup of tea, but if someone could nearly get fired for showing his work since it is like "neutrally showing a video of Hitler", only saved by a recording of the argument, I don't want to hear about freedom of speech. I realize this particular example is Canadian, but it's emblematic of the same stifling authoritarian ideologues we face here who think they are in a position to decide who is and is not fit for public life but who really are just enforcing their own hegemony by whatever means they can. The EU and it's Article 13 meme bans come to mind as an expression of this impulse.

Take anything and everything Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson claims have happened to them or to other conservatives with the biggest grain of salt you can find. Conservatives LOVES playing the victim, and they exaggerate, misrepresent, lie and obfuscate... meanwhile, they stay absolutely silent or actively call for deplatformization of their political opponents. As hypocritical as you can get. For instance, if Peterson had been called for a talk, asking him to explain why the f*** he showed a video celebrating Hitler, that at most would have resulted in a warning, there is only a 110% chance that he would claim that they actually planned to fire him, but he heroically saved the situation using his genius. Obviously, I was not then and there in that room, but I know for a fact that professors are not fired willy-nilly, not even in Canada. They are warned only about a million times for minor infractions but that is as far as it goes, a warning, until it is discovered they violated some ethics boards recommendation for their research... and even then it takes half a year on paid leave until the matter is thoroughly investigated until they are fired for real.

Let me just check... yep, googling "Ben Shapiro free speech hypocrisy" yields only about half a million pages. Same thing for Jordan Peterson. Let's just click a link at random;
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4287272/jordan-peterson-sues-wilfrid-laurier-for-defamation-following-ta-case/
    Yep, has merit.

Further, EU:s article 13 does not have any ideological bent. It has a corporate bent, because corporations want to maximize profit. Corporations are machines, they care naught for right and wrong or for any ideology, except making more profit (if that can be considered ideology). EU politicians are A) stupid and B ) shysters. Some of them are woke, EU is not nearly as bad as USA. Still, corporations usually get their way and this is an example of that. Got nothing to do with authoritarianism.

Silicon valley is also private companies and they do as they please, just as Breitbart, Infowars and the Drudge Report probably would not keep a Bernie Sanders supporting journalist for very long, if they had accidentally managed to hire one.

Finally, the ruling elite, at least in Murka, is quite clearly conservative.
    edited November 2018
    It's useful that John Stuart Mill has been brought up here in this discussion, because whenever you make the point that free speech enshrined in the Constitution protects only against government retaliation, you'll often be told " go read John Stuart Mill". Which would be fine if I was interested in the CONCEPT of what free speech means rather than in actual laws that seek to limit it, of which the US has basically none.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited November 2018

It's useful that John Stuart Mill has been brought up here in this discussion, because whenever you make the point that free speech enshrined in the Constitution protects only against government retaliation, you'll often be told " go read John Stuart Mill". Which would be fine if I was interested in the CONCEPT of what free speech means rather than in actual laws that seek to limit it, of which the US has basically none.

That depends what you mean by laws. There are quite a few exceptions to the doctrine of free speech, but pretty much all of those have been introduced by the courts - this article provides a summary.

In a recent post @WarChiefZeke said "I wouldn't put it under the banner of hate speech, but I think it is reasonable to support criminalizing the advocating of violence in general, and not just the imminent call to violence that US law criminalizes." That could be done very easily through a Supreme Court judgment. In fact the Supreme Court used to take a much more interventionist approach to speech advocating violence. Though the progression isn't a clean one this article sets out a broad trend towards fewer restrictions on free speech as follows:
    - 1868 doctrine of 'bad tendency'
    - 1919 doctrine of 'clear and present danger'
    - 1969 doctrine of 'imminent lawless action'

Currently then SCOTUS only prohibits speech which is likely to lead to immediate violence. However, have a look at the dates. Every 50 years or so SCOTUS decides it's about time to refine what is meant by restrictions on free speech in relation to violence. We're thus probably about due for another doctrine now - which way will it go? ;)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I guess many of you will have seen Trump's announcement of increased Iranian sanctions using a Game of Thrones meme. HBO weren't too pleased about that, but there have been some nice social media posts in response.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll say again that this unilateral action by the US could cause them major problems in the future. It's not just the diplomatic damage associated with ditching existing international agreements, trashing alliances and attempting to bully other countries into line. There's also the possibility of serious economic damage. The US has dominated the international settlements system for many years and gained hugely as a result. However, the other parties to the Iran deal have agreed that they will protect firms that wish to continue to trade with Iran. Part of that is legislation that's already in force to block the extra-territorial US sanctions (and this legal competition is likely to be a significant source of international tension in the future). In addition though, alternative settlement systems are likely to grow quickly as a result of this. It's not particularly difficult to envisage such arrangements quickly rivalling the traditional ones - particularly if that allows companies to bypass the more onerous aspects of existing US compliance legislation (which can apply to non-Americans, doing deals not involving the US other than through the settlement system).
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited November 2018
    Grond0 said:

That depends what you mean by laws. There are quite a few exceptions to the doctrine of free speech, but pretty much all of those have been introduced by the courts - this article provides a summary.

In a recent post @WarChiefZeke said "I wouldn't put it under the banner of hate speech, but I think it is reasonable to support criminalizing the advocating of violence in general, and not just the imminent call to violence that US law criminalizes." That could be done very easily through a Supreme Court judgment. In fact the Supreme Court used to take a much more interventionist approach to speech advocating violence. Though the progression isn't a clean one this article sets out a broad trend towards fewer restrictions on free speech as follows:
    - 1868 doctrine of 'bad tendency'
    - 1919 doctrine of 'clear and present danger'
    - 1969 doctrine of 'imminent lawless action'

Currently then SCOTUS only prohibits speech which is likely to lead to immediate violence. However, have a look at the dates. Every 50 years or so SCOTUS decides it's about time to refine what is meant by restrictions on free speech in relation to violence. We're thus probably about due for another doctrine now - which way will it go? ;)
    "Free speech causes violence? Nah. Case dismissed, GTG."

That's how I see it if it were to come up in the next few years.

Look at that progression. Fom "tendency" to "clear danger" to "imminent action". What can be less restrictive than "If we don't block this, someone is going to break the law NOW."?
    edited November 2018
    Bolton has had a hard-on for attacking Iran for well over a decade. He is Trump's right-hand on foreign policy. Do the math.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2018
    @WarChiefZeke You used Progressive as a kind of synonym for establishment. That is not the case. Progressives want progress - not the status quo. Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Ocasio-Cortez are progressives and they all want change.
    ---------

Now on the topic of hate speech. Matt Shea, a five term Washington State representative, wrote a manifesto calling for "war" against enemies of the Christian religion. The document, a four-page explanation of how to establish Christian law through armed struggle, calls for the end of same-sex marriage, abortion, and the death of all non-Christian males in the U.S. if religious law is not upheld.

"If they do not yield - kill all males," the document reads.

Isn't this just Sharia law wearing a different shirt? The matter was referred to the FBI. I would think this is the type of thing that should be prosecuted, no?

You only get two guesses which party the guy represents but you should only need one guess.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/414450-fbi-investigating-washington-state-rep-for-manifesto-urging-all-males?amp
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Look at that progression. Fom "tendency" to "clear danger" to "imminent action". What can be less restrictive than "If we don't block this, someone is going to break the law NOW."?

The progression is indeed telling. Over the past 140 years, it seems that the standards for what constitutes the limits of acceptable speech are getting increasingly weaker. If the trend were to continue like this, the next step would be, well, nothing. Even speech advocating imminent violence would be allowed. Anything less restrictive than "imminent action" would be restricting nothing.
    @smeagolheart Calling for war, to put a pacifist law into effect? That would be hilarious if it weren't disturbing.