Skip to content

[MOD] Lefreut's enhanced UI for IWDEE

lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
edited April 2019 in UI Modding
Hello,

I'm glad to release the fourth mod from my enhanced UI mods trilogy :) This time for IWD:EE.

This UI mod contains mostly the same features and tweaks as my other enhanced UI mods so if you're already familiar with them you should like it :) Otherwise, there are some screenshots in this post so you can see the changes I made.

The record screen is not done because I'm not sure if I want to do it or not, the dialog code is completely new, let my know if it's better than the old code and some other things might differ.

This mod contains the full UI.menu (and resources) and should be used only if you don't have any other UI modifications.

Installation:

Download the archive here.
This mod is compatible with IWD:EE v2.5 only.
Extract the contents of the archive into your game folder (the folder which contains the chitin.key file) and then double-click setup-LeUI-IWDEE.exe and follow the instructions on screen.

Screenshots:

Here are some comparisons between the default UI and the mod.

Main screen

Vanilla:

Modded:

Dialog

Vanilla:

Modded:

Journal

Vanilla:

Modded:

Spells book

Vanilla:

Modded:

Inventory

Vanilla:

Modded:

Stores

Vanilla:

Modded:

Character generation

Vanilla:

Modded:

Options

Vanilla:

Modded:

Changelog:

v1.5: Update dialog code.
v1.4: Show item name when identifying item in store. Take 'More Confirmation Prompts' into account when removing memorized spells. Tweak text scroll speed in chapter and dream. New dialog code by Adul.
v1.3.1: Update to IWDEE 2.5.17.
v1.3: Add scrollbar when needed in Mage Book and Priest Scroll screens.
v1.2: Fix HLA screen.
v1.1: Tweak Gender and Portrait screen. Add Select All button in Store and Container screens. Add install option to Show Sidebar toggle button, Quicksave button, Help button and Highlight button.
v1.0: Initial release.
Post edited by lefreut on
BubbRavenslightGusindaAedanJuliusBorisovDoubledimasBelegCuthalionFlashburnPeccainethAxieagrisrami

Comments

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    Congrats on having this up so quickly after the 2.5 release! I just finished my previous Icewind Dale run, but this makes me want to do another run so bad - decisions... decisions.
    RavenslightGusindaJuliusBorisov
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Awesome!
    Thank you so much for this gem!
    JuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Nice job! :)
    Ravenslight
    Seems to work fine so far. There's 2 minor issues:

Picking the Gender and Portrait screen during character creation seems a bit messy. The smaller portrait and gender buttons seem a bit latched on, edging over the UI frames. The portraits on the right side are really dark, making them hard to see, and their names are rather... odd. Perhaps at least show the portraits in the list to the right with their correct brightness?

Secondly, when talking to stores or opening containers, could you add a "Select All" button to the inventory, so one can quickly sell all their junk, or store all viable items into the container?
    lefreut
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Thels said:

The smaller portrait and gender buttons seem a bit latched on, edging over the UI frames.

Yes I need to tweak the image a little to have more space to put the gender buttons. And also move the small portrait a little to the left.
    Thels said:

The portraits on the right side are really dark, making them hard to see,

It should look the same as in my other UI mod. Do you think it's also too dark in them or it's only a problem in this one? I'll see what I can do.
    Thels said:

and their names are rather... odd.

It's the name they have internally (like for the other game). Only in IWDEE, the internal names are weird :p
    Thels said:

Secondly, when talking to stores or opening containers, could you add a "Select All" button to the inventory, so one can quickly sell all their junk, or store all viable items into the container?

I don't know if it's easy to do or not.
    Ravenslight
    @Thels something like this?

Yeah, that looks a lot clearer! Those gender buttons also look a lot neater.

It never bothered me in BGEE, but perhaps because in BGEE I use a custom image and just quickly find that. In IWDEE I tend not to use custom images, so perhaps it was just more apparent to me.

As for the select all, Pecca's UI had something like that at some point, so it's certainly possible. Not sure if it's easy to pull off, though.
    edited May 2018
    Also, after starting a new game, I noticed that the Highlight button is not available, and it's been completely removed from the UI.menu. Any chance you could tweak the right sidebar bottom section to something like this, so that people that want to enable the highlightbutton need only remove the 'e:IsTouchUI() and ' part to get it to work?

menu { name 'RIGHT_SIDEBAR_BOTTOM' align right bottom ignoreEsc button { area 0 0 73 55 enabled "e:IsTouchUI() and worldScreen == e:GetActiveEngine() and showJournal ~= 1" toggle selectionButtonToggle bam GUILS10 sequence 14 tooltip lua "Infinity_FetchString(34764)" clickable lua "sidebarsGreyed ~= 1" action " worldScreen:OnSelectionButtonClick() " } button { area 0 55 73 55 enabled "e:IsTouchUI() and worldScreen == e:GetActiveEngine() and showJournal ~= 1" toggle highlightButtonToggle bam GUILS10 sequence 11 tooltip lua "Infinity_FetchString(40879)" clickable lua "sidebarsGreyed ~= 1" action " worldScreen:SetHighlightEnabled(highlightButtonToggle == 1) " } button { area 0 110 73 55 enabled "worldScreen == e:GetActiveEngine() and showJournal ~= 1" toggle aiButtonToggle bam GUILS10 sequence 10 tooltip lua "getPartyAITooltip()" clickable lua "sidebarsGreyed ~= 1" action " game:ToggleAI() " } button { area 0 165 73 55 enabled "worldScreen == e:GetActiveEngine() and showJournal ~= 1" bam GUILS10 sequence 13 tooltip lua "Infinity_FetchString(10485)" clickable lua "sidebarsGreyed ~= 1" action " game:SelectAll() " actionDbl " game:CenterOnGroupLeader() " } }

Perhaps likewise for the bottom left submenu. The quicksave menu button can be convenient to have as well, for those using touch screens:

menu { name 'LEFT_SIDEBAR_BOTTOM' align left bottom offset 0 0 ignoreEsc button { area 2 0 73 55 enabled "e:IsTouchUI() and worldScreen == e:GetActiveEngine() and showJournal ~= 1" bam GUILS10 sequence 15 tooltip lua "getTooltipWithHotkey(28,34763)" --37861 tooltip force top clickable lua "sidebarsGreyed ~= 1" action " worldScreen:OnQuickSaveButtonClick(false) " actionAlt " worldScreen:OnQuickSaveButtonClick(true) " } button { area 2 55 73 55 enabled "e:IsTouchUI() and worldScreen == e:GetActiveEngine() and showJournal ~= 1" bam GUILS10 sequence 16 tooltip lua "Infinity_FetchString(34772)" --"getTooltipWithHotkey(16,34772)" tooltip force top clickable lua "sidebarsGreyed ~= 1" action " Infinity_PushMenu('HELP') " } button { area 2 110 73 55 bam GUILS10 sequence 9 tooltip lua "getTooltipWithHotkey(31,11942)" tooltip force top clickable lua "sidebarsGreyed ~= 1" action " e:GetActiveEngine():OnRestButtonClick() " } --begin clock label { enabled "worldScreen == e:GetActiveEngine()" area 0 170 74 80 bam "CGEAR" frame lua "timer:GetCurrentTime() % 59" useOverlayTint "worldScreen:CheckIfPaused()" overlayTint 180 180 180 } button { enabled "worldScreen == e:GetActiveEngine()" area 0 170 74 80 tooltip lua "worldScreen:GetCurrentTimeString()" tooltip force top clickable lua "sidebarsGreyed ~= 1" action " worldScreen:TogglePauseGame(true) " } label { enabled "worldScreen == e:GetActiveEngine()" area 0 170 74 74 bam "GEARMASK" scaleToClip useOverlayTint "worldScreen:CheckIfPaused()" overlayTint 180 180 180 ignoreEvents } --end clock label { --area is preset enabled "gameOptions.m_bRenderFrameTimes" frameTimes } }
    lefreut
    New release based on @Thels feedback :)

v1.1:
    • Tweak Gender and Portrait screen

• Add Select All button in Store and Container screens

• Add install option to Show Sidebar toggle button
    • Add install option to Show Quicksave button
    • Add install option to Show Help button
    • Add install option to Show Highlight button
    BubbAedanGusinda
    Awesome!
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    A quick bug report - if a user installs a mod that enables HLAs, the HLA screen does not exit correctly. It leaves an unclosable level up window open, and if the user does try to close it by pressing one of the barely visible buttons, it crashes the game. Here's a screen of what I'm talking about:

It looks like the cause is a duplicate createCharScreen:OnDoneButtonClick() on line 18193 of UI.MENU. Removing this line allows the menu to exit properly.
    lefreutGusinda
    Quick v1.2 to fix the HLA screen bug (thanks @Bubb :))
    BubbGusindaAedan
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @lefreut, can I ask for a mod to your mod?
    I was playing with IWDEE with some different char configs taking them to their maximum levels etc to see how they look, and noticed that there wasn't any scrolling in the Mage Book or Priest Scroll. When you get time, is there any chance of adding these?

Thanks
    Gus
    lefreut
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    you should restore the hud toggle buttons in the main screen, it looks better with them
    Gusinda said:

I was playing with IWDEE with some different char configs taking them to their maximum levels etc to see how they look, and noticed that there wasn't any scrolling in the Mage Book or Priest Scroll. When you get time, is there any chance of adding these?

Thanks
    Gus

For when you have more than 24 known or memorized spells? I did add scrollbars to my other UI mods but it seems I did not do it when I create this UI. I always forget that you can have so many spells :p
    bob_veng said:

you should restore the hud toggle buttons in the main screen, it looks better with them

The buttons to toggle the sidebar? There is an install option to keep them.
    Gusinda
    Gusinda said:

Thanks
    Gus

@Gusinda do you have a save that shows the problem? It will be faster if I have an easy way to reproduce.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Thanks for this mod.

The classic-style dialog box, in particular, is essential - I don't know what Beamdog were thinking with their user-unfriendly EE v2.x dialog box.
    lefreut
    edited June 2018
    @lefreut, thanks for looking at this.

Attached is the saved game. So I was playing with different types of characters and different effects. Is this save, there is a RC and FMT (Ignore the fighter) that have been given double spells. For the RC, you can see that he has more than 24 for memorising. For the FMT, I added all spells, and in the spells list there are some that can't be seen due to no scroll.

I also noticed that the compare weapons/armour etc doesn't behave the same as the previous mods (the difference in stats don't show in the inventory record). Is this also easy to add?

Gus
    Gusinda said:

Attached is the saved game. So I was playing with different types of characters and different effects. Is this save, there is a RC and FMT (Ignore the fighter) that have been given double spells. For the RC, you can see that he has more than 24 for memorising. For the FMT, I added all spells, and in the spells list there are some that can't be seen due to no scroll.

Gusinda said:

I also noticed that the compare weapons/armour etc doesn't behave the same as the previous mods (the difference in stats don't show in the inventory record). Is this also easy to add?

Sadly no, the code is ready in the UI.menu but the IWDEE engine does not expose the needed information (and I don't know why).
    @lefreut, thanks. It was only a bonus anyway and the game can still be enjoyed without...

Gus
    @Gusinda It took me more time than expected (because I had to redo the code as it is quite different than the code from BG(2)EE). But here it is a new release \o/

v1.3:
    • Add scrollbar when needed in Mage Book and Priest Scroll screens.

GusindaAedan
    @lefreut, no problems with time... Thank you very much.

Gus
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @lefreut thank you for pointing me to this. is there any chance the records screen will be done? did vanilla 2.5 add that horrendous "loading bar" for our EXP progression like it did for the BGs?
    IWD::EE 2.5 default UI is much better than the other 2.X UIs. So I didn't change the record screen (except for some font size change).

Here is what this screen look like:
    Aedan
    @lefreut you are a gentlemouse and a scholar, thanks again.
    Aedan
    @lefreut I've been using this for several days now, and it's great. I have two small pieces of feedback though:

1. When quitting from an active game, a "quit to desktop" option would be very appreciated.
    2. When quitting from an active game, and "quit to main menu" is selected, it would be nice to:
    2a. Have the option to quit to desktop from the main menu screen, or
    2b. Currently you have to hit the "back" button to get the option to quit to desktop. It would be nice if hitting the ESC key worked the same as hitting back. So the process to quit the game involved at least one less click.

Minor stuff, great work all around.

fake edit: I also just realized that your mod doesn't let us back out of the level up screen - the button is greyed out. If you can support that as well, it would be much appreciated :)
    lefreut
    edited September 2018
    Hi @lefreut

I would like to get rid of the rectangle that appears when you hide the vertical UI bars (https://i.imgur.com/JD4bQsi.jpg)

What is the easiest way to do this? I assume I could simply delete the asset in NI, or override it with a 0 byte file or a 100% alpha image of the corresponding size and type?

edit: forget about this, I found out about the edit UI option.
    Post edited by agris on
    agris said:

@lefreut I've been using this for several days now, and it's great. I have two small pieces of feedback though:

1. When quitting from an active game, a "quit to desktop" option would be very appreciated.
    2. When quitting from an active game, and "quit to main menu" is selected, it would be nice to:
    2a. Have the option to quit to desktop from the main menu screen, or
    2b. Currently you have to hit the "back" button to get the option to quit to desktop. It would be nice if hitting the ESC key worked the same as hitting back. So the process to quit the game involved at least one less click.

Minor stuff, great work all around.

fake edit: I also just realized that your mod doesn't let us back out of the level up screen - the button is greyed out. If you can support that as well, it would be much appreciated :)

These things should be doable. I only need to see how to properly incorporate them and I need to find time, I'm swamped with work at the moment.
    agrisGusinda
  • sarge945sarge945 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2018
    I know this is a pretty big ask, but would it be possible to port this UI in it's entirety to BG:EE and BG2:EE, since the BG UI is a crazy horrible mess and I hate it.

Also, I really like how you have replaced the 4 seperate text boxes in the inventory screen with 1 big one. I wish you would do the same in the Character Record screen, however it still looks good enough that it doesn't matter either way. The inventory was horrible originally though, so good work fixing that up from vanilla.
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 227
    Bubb said:

A quick bug report - if a user installs a mod that enables HLAs, the HLA screen does not exit correctly.

Such a mod exist somewhere ?