Skip to content

Favourite quest and least favourite quest?

As a follow-up to the favorite area topic.

One of my favorite quests must be the Melicamp one, it's silly, but get's a chuckle from me everytime (I'm a bit simple like that).

My least favorite one must be Melkar and Lothander, mess it up and you're dead, also a waste of a good Tome.
ThacoBellPermidion_Stark

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I agree for the favorite but in my opinion the worse is the one about Nester's Dagger. I know it's a very minor quest but very easy to miss, because it's almost sure you would find and kill the Ankheg much before taking the quest, and leaving the dagger behind is very easy because it may seem a random drop.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    My favorite quest is the main one. All others are pretty generic.

My least favorite quest is probably any of the quests for the thieves guild.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    jsaving said:

Favorite quest has to be reaching the Friendly Arm Inn. It's hard to beat the moment when you finally see the door to the inn and breathe a sigh of relief as you're welcomed with a "hi friend".

This is real poetry.
    ThacoBellDreadKhan
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited November 2018
    Favourite quest: Sneaking into the Oberan Estate to steal the components for a Halruaan skyship. I like the fact that you get to properly use your thieving abilities and then there is a nice double-cross at the end (which is even more satisfying if you have already made friends in the Thieves' Guild).

Least favourite: Charleston Nib and his Archaeological Dig. Whether you double cross Charleston or not you just end up slaughtering a bunch of innocents. If you side with Mr. Nib you never really get to resolve the story of Gallor, the guy who wants to double cross him. You can liven things up by stealing the statue and fighting the Doomsayer but I usually do the encounter when I am low level and there doesn't seem much point in going back by the time I am tough enough to win the fight.
    DaeveloncompleCCityDreadKhanStummvonBordwehr
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Most of the quests are pretty generic fetch quests. Which is fine but makes anything else kinda stand out.

That said my favorite has to be helping out Aldeth. First it's a simple choose-your-side fight but if you side with Aldeth you get one of the more memorable quests out of it in Baldur's gate. Sure enough you just talk to a couple of people and/or rummage through one table to solve it but it's still nice and it's kinda tied to the main story too. They even added a little cut-scene that I don't remember being there in the original where Aldeth confronts his "cohorts" (or maybe I just never before turned the evidence in to Aldeth instead of his chief of security and that triggers it?).

Least favorite... There are multiple.

- Nester's dagger for reasons already mentioned. Also just the fact that you can pick the dagger up in chapter 2 and have to drag it all the way into chapter 5 if you do. The quest giver is hidden in one of those random (probably locked) houses. If you killed the Ankheg and didn't pick up the dagger it's gone and you'll forever scratch your head as to what is even going on with the quest.
    - Kivan's quest because it forces you to rush into and through chapter 3 in the main story if you pick him up. It's also really unclear what actually counts as completing it and I still don't really know after all these years.
    - Coran's quest since you have to rush from CW1 to CW4 and travel ALL the damn way back to Beregost Temple just so you can travel all the way back with all those random encounters with highly poisonous enemies and web traps.
    - Retrieving an ankheg shell for that one guy in Baldur's gate. You're in for a potentially long hunt if you cleared that ankheg map out earlier...
    - Arkhion and Scar sending you to the severs. Outside the tight corridored mazes the severs are the worst place in the game. I was genuinely surprised when I noticed Beamdog hadn't added map markers for which travel point leads to where in the severs. Those 3 areas are so damn stupid.
    - I dislike the belt of piercing quest since turning that in mean you lose one of the rare belts in the game (and killing the questgiver afterwards is neg. rep.).

Sorry for multiple bad ones but damn if those don't get under my skin sometimes.
    ThacoBellDordledumsemiticgoddess
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2018
    I'm not sure if playing chess in Durlags lower levels counts as a quest in itself, but I like that.

Also really enjoy the preparations for setting sail to Werewolf island..don't ask me why that is so fun, although it's just basically gathering some charts from the BG city. It gives me a bit of that Brynnlaw feeling in BG2 before you enter Spellhold and I love that place.

I dislike most of those small quests where you either gather that cloak, those thief boots, deliver a letter of some deceased husband. That's when I even bother doing them...A lot of tedious backtracking and the knowledge that you are doing something for a measly reward.
    ThacoBellDordledumBlackraven
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I hate the Elves' Bane and Doomsayer (you can bump into this while still level 1 or 2, especially as a noobie), but I have a powerful hatred for Firewine Bridge, that place was likely to be bumped into early, and its a nightmare if you're too low level, inside and out. In truth you can make Firewine easy(ish), but go about it wrong and YIKES! Also the treasure sucks.

I loved the artwork though for Firewine, and the quest inside about the armour was wonderfully flavorful. So simultaneously one of my favourites and among my least favourite!

My actual favourite is probably the combo of the Telescope and Alora's quest.
    Blackraven
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    My favourite may actually be Safana's quest just because it feels like a good old fashioned treasure hunt: a pirates' cave with traps and powerful guardians that eventually ends in some actually rather substantial loot just really embodies what it means to be an adventurer imo (I suppose it depends what you're RPing though).

Honourable mentions go to Abela the nymph quest, because of the variety of choices and outcomes involved in the quest, as well as 'Shlimes and Oozshes' since Lusselyn is such a swell guy and the journal entries just seem too funny to me (???)

Like what @Lammas mentioned previously though, my least favourite is probably giving the girdle of piercing to Unshey. My powergaming nature gets conflicted between the powerful girdle or 800 XP + gold. Also if your charisma is low enough, the pompous bastard tells you to take a bath :|
    BlackravenStummvonBordwehr
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    edited November 2018
    This thread is actually the first time I read about/heard of Nester's dagger.
    Lammas
    DreadKhan said:

I hate the Elves' Bane

What is Elves' Bane?
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    edited November 2018
    Lammas said:

- Kivan's quest because it forces you to rush into and through chapter 3 in the main story if you pick him up. It's also really unclear what actually counts as completing it and I still don't really know after all these years.

Have to agree with this one, how can you resolve this quest! Take Kivan to the final battle?

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Lammas said:

DreadKhan said:

I hate the Elves' Bane

What is Elves' Bane?
    http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Elves'_Bane
    @Lammas
    compleCCity
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Dordledum said:

Lammas said:

Have to agree with this one, how can you resolve this quest! Take Kivan to the final battle?

You just have to take Kivan to the bandit camp (maybe fight Tazok with him). You don't have to rush it though, Kivan's timer is variable, its longer the earlier you pick him up.
    DordledumBlackraven
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    ThacoBell said:

Dordledum said:

Lammas said:

You just have to take Kivan to the bandit camp (maybe fight Tazok with him). You don't have to rush it though, Kivan's timer is variable, its longer the earlier you pick him up.
    Do you just have to visit the bandit camp? Or do you have to complete the bandit camp area and enter the next chapter? I've read stuff saying that you have to complete the Officer Vai "quest" in order to finish Kivan's quest but in my experience he's happy once you've entered the Cloakwood chapter.

I really dislike Kivan's quest now that it breaks the bandit camp so it is impossible to infiltrate it. Fighting Tazok and then him getting bored and wandering off half way through the fight just seems stupid.

I've had a fighter type wander round for half the game with Nester's dagger in a spare weapon slot until I found the guy who wanted it. Now I just break my usual rule of completely exploring every area and just leave that ankheg until I've met the quest giver.

I like the idol/doomsayer quest. Shame that you can't take the evil options without a huge reputation loss.

I think my current favourite quest is the helm and cloak of Balduran quest. Probably because I only found out about it on my last playthrough so it still seems fresh to me. I think I usually got bored of entering random houses and so never found that quest before.

Another favourite part of the game, whilst it's not exactly a quest, is if you go upstairs in Sorcerous Sundries and talk to the wizards with Xzar in your party.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291

Favourite quest: .... and then there is a nice double-cross at the end (which is even more satisfying if you have already made friends in the Thieves' Guild).

Could you elaborate...? (perhaps in a spoiler tag)
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    alot of bg 1's side content starts to blend together for me. the ones i do remember are from mods.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

The Melkar/Lothander quest is so my "least favourite" I never do it. I kill them quick before they have a chance to speak to you on entering the map. The best shortbow and a second pair of BOS right at the start of BG city are just too useful and tempting.

Another hated and stupid quest is rescuing the son from the ruins and Worgs. Where is he? FFS can't somebody create a mod where you actually meet the boy and deliver him to his mother? Instead, there's nothing, nothing there at all. I think perhaps the woman is insane and the son doesn't really exist, now that would be interesting.

My favourite, TBH I enjoy BG so much it's most of them.

I enjoy the basilisk map and Mutamim, just watching that sweet, sweet XP pour in is rewarding in itself. Then the way Mutamin runs around like a crazy is hilarious and coupled with his invisibility, it's an entertaining fight.

I used to enjoy the bandit camp but SCS has ruined it for me. It's far too easy to work it so you kill everybody in one fell swoop (and then have to spend twice as long picking up the loot). Whereas before, working your way through the camp and then entering Tazok's tent was challenging.

Delivering Rufie to Albert never gets tired, love that quest.

Finally, the Balderans Helm and Cloak task, all of it. And a great, ridiculous fight in the middle of BG city. I mean how likely is that? It's just so OTT, when all you do is open a door.
    BlackravenPermidion_Stark

@Lammas

I've posted this before but it's a useful thing to know.

Re Kivan quest,

If you simply enter the bandit camp map, just stand at the edge and then leave, the timer is cancelled leaving you free to take as long as you like to complete it with Kivan still in party.

I pick up Kivan early, head east from the FAI map, up the side/edge of Peldvale avoiding everything, north to the Bandit map, then turn straight back round and carry on with the game.
    BlackravenDordledumThacoBellLammas
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

Another hated and stupid quest is rescuing the son from the ruins and Worgs. Where is he? FFS can't somebody create a mod where you actually meet the boy and deliver him to his mother? Instead, there's nothing, nothing there at all. I think perhaps the woman is insane and the son doesn't really exist, now that would be interesting.

Try the EE-compatible Lure of the Sirine's Call mod (found here, readme).

It's a nice little mod that adds flavor to the Lighthouse Area treasure hunt.
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

@Lammas

Re Kivan quest,

If you simply enter the bandit camp map, just stand at the edge and then leave, the timer is cancelled leaving you free to take as long as you like to complete it with Kivan still in party.

I pick up Kivan early, head east from the FAI map, up the side/edge of Peldvale avoiding everything, north to the Bandit map, then turn straight back round and carry on with the game.

weird because i did that semi recently and he still complained that we havent gone to the camp ( even though we were there and did that very thing )
    I also remember Kivan complaining about not dealing with his thingy a couple of time while I was inside the camp but that was in the original version so I dunno how much weight to put on that. It does seem that the original content is mostly untouched even in places where I (and probably everyone) would've appreciated some administration.
    sarevok57 said:

@Lammas

Re Kivan quest,

weird because i did that semi recently and he still complained that we havent gone to the camp ( even though we were there and did that very thing )
    Possible it's something to do with NPC Project mod?

Can't remember what happens without the mod, but he does have some dialog with it, something about a prayer that triggers when you enter the area.
    Maybe that's why, for me, it always works?
    That dialog confirms that you are actually at the camp (the fact that you are hanging around in the forest
    possible a mile or two away outside, I put down to artistic license :D )

The same thing works for me when you have Minsc and are on a timer to rescue Dynaheir.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Maybe I wouldn't go as far as call it my favourite quest, but I like skin dancers storyline in BG2. It, unlike most quests in game, requires some detective work, and then reveals very creepy, obscure bunch with equally obscure goals (IIRC, it is never revealed what their game is). You get to make decision about Rila, and as a bonus you acquire very interesting and very evil armour. Overall, fine little strange quest. What's not to like? ;)
    ThacoBell
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

sarevok57 said:

@Lammas

Re Kivan quest,

Possible it's something to do with NPC Project mod?

Can't remember what happens without the mod, but he does have some dialog with it, something about a prayer that triggers when you enter the area.
    Maybe that's why, for me, it always works?
    That dialog confirms that you are actually at the camp (the fact that you are hanging around in the forest
    possible a mile or two away outside, I put down to artistic license :D )

The same thing works for me when you have Minsc and are on a timer to rescue Dynaheir.
    yeah, i have no mods installed, so with me to finish off kivan's quest, i have to open the chest and start chapter 4, and as soon as the little video for chapter 4 is finished his quest completes in the journal
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    My favorite quest: to seek the Holy Grail.
    GusindaThacoBellBalrog99Loldrup
    tbone1 said:

My favorite quest: to seek the Holy Grail.

Have you found it? Where is it? Which temple? Who gives the quest? What's the XP reward?

(Oh he's talking about something not BG related.....bored now) ;)
    ThacoBellBelgarathMTHtbone1
    Artona said:

Maybe I wouldn't go as far as call it my favourite quest, but I like skin dancers storyline in BG2. It, unlike most quests in game, requires some detective work, and then reveals very creepy, obscure bunch with equally obscure goals (IIRC, it is never revealed what their game is). You get to make decision about Rila, and as a bonus you acquire very interesting and very evil armour. Overall, fine little strange quest. What's not to like? ;)

It's one of the best IMO and so overlooked because it's so early. All the things you said and absolutely horrific if you dwell on it. Would have loved the full follow up with the Twisted Rune.

Shameless promotion here, this is a chapter from my fic from Reijek's point of view. I find the whole skin dancer thing fascinating.

Chapter 21
    Skin Dancer

Rejiek had heard Ayla's call from upstairs and cursed himself for not locking the door. He'd have to make her leave quickly and that meant he would have to drag his failing body up the stairs again. Damn, he should have taken one of last night's victims for himself, this body wouldn't last much longer. But he needed the skin to get the armour completed on time, he had to wait. Cursing he made his way stiffly up to the main floor of the shop.

"What are you doing here? What do you want? We're closed."

She turned sharply at his question, young, quite tall for a woman, slender. Fairer skin than was usual in Athkatla, if he was thinking of using it he'd have to adjust the dye he noted to himself. But right now he just needed her to leave and he snapped the questions at her.

"Well the door was unlocked and this is a tanners shop isn't it? I'm interested in buying some of this leather for armour. The black dyed leather, is it for sale?"

He was surprised the way she matched his tone and looked at him as if measuring him up. Strong voice, confident, and then that request, few wanted his black leather for armour, they preferred the more unobtrusive browns.

"Yes it's for sale but we're closed. Come back another day"

She made no move to leave,

"When I'm here now? It wouldn't take long to make the sale and this is much better quality than I've seen anywhere else. It's really beautiful work and I won't haggle about the price."

The compliment and offer caught him off guard,

"You admire my skins? You have an eye for quality then, but why black for armour? It's not a usual choice."

"I had a suit, black leather like this, it had protections cast on it..." she stopped and frowned as if she were trying to recall something then carried on, "I'd like to try and recreate it, there's an armourer in the Docks I've heard talk of."

"Are you thinking of Shadow Armour? No, that can't be right." he couldn't keep the surprise out of his voice. This young, plainly dressed woman had once had a suit of expensive and rare shadow armour? That was hard to believe, even moreso if she couldn't remember what it was called.

"Shadow Armour...shadow armour...yes that was it, I remember."

The look of relief and the smile told him she wasn't lying, or at least believed what she was saying. He watched as she turned back to the hides and smoothed her hand over the surface,

"Could this be used to make Shadow Armour? It feels the same, strong yet supple and the way it absorbs the light. You could become a shadow in armour made from this."

The sleeves of her dress were rolled up and the contrast between her pale skin and the black leather fascinated him. In the dim light of the shop her skin appeared almost luminous against it. He could see a scar running down her forearm and he inwardly winced at the blemish.

"Of course, my skins after I've treated them can be used to make anything."

He answered with a note of pride in his voice, it was true after all. He moved next to her and picked up up edge of the hide better to show off it's qualities,

"See here, the thickness and the way it's been worked to retain it's flexibility. The way the dye has been applied to both colour and protect. How flawless and uniform the surface is with no marks from the process. You know, skin doesn't die if you treat it correctly, it lives and breathes with the wearer. It should be cared for, cherished..."

He stopped, he had to be careful what he said. People didn't understand, didn't love skin, the way his kind did. But the woman hadn't seemed to notice anything strange and was listening to him with interest. She was standing close and he could smell her skin, how healthy it smelt compared to what he was having to wear. There was something else about her as well, something he couldn't identify. A presense, something hidden. he wanted to sink his hands under her skin to find it. This one wouldn't start to fall apart with the strain of containing him he felt sure.

An idea began to form, but he would have to be careful, subtle.

"So, you'd like to make a suit of Shadow Armour, well my leather would give you a good base. Where did you get one before?", he needed to know her alliances but it was an innocent enough question. She reacted nervously and he recognised the reaction as being from one who had something to hide. That feeling was ever present for him and his kind.

"North, not here, not Athkatla, that's where I'm from, the North."

"Ahhh, that explains it," he used a soothing tone, "that armour is not common around here". Of course it wasn't common anywhere, but perhaps she wouldn't know that, just as she hadn't remembered it's name. He watched as she relaxed again, good. Some flattery perhaps, the body he occupied was old enough that it wouldn't be seen as threatening.

"And with your northern complexion, I can certainly see how attractive the contrast would be. Yes indeed, you would compliment my leathers." He smiled at her indulgently as if she were a child he was presenting with a gift.

"Very well, let's see how much you will need. I'll need to take some measurements," he saw her hesitation and quickly added, "for the pieces, so I know what size to cut them."

He saw her consider the reasoning, then she nodded and unbuckled her sword and placed her belt and bag and bow on the trestle beside her. The ornate sword surprised him, another warning to be careful with this one.

"You know, I don't think I've ever been measured for armour before. What do I have to do?"

Of course he had no intention of cutting pieces to be sewn together to make armour. He was simply performing this charade so he had an excuse to ask her to return and collect them when he had made proper preparations for his transformation. One as old as himself could judge the size of a body from a glance. But he showed her how to stand and hold out her arms and pretended to note down the figures he read from his measure. Usually they were lying paralysed and helpless in front of him for this kind of examination. He found himself amused by the novelty of her standing upright and yet so still.

"I apologise but I'll have to ask you to remove your scarf. So I can measure across the shoulders."

He wanted to see her neck, the place where he would make the first cut before peeling the skin away. Afterwards he would heal completely and there would be no sign of the violence he had commited, no sign of where he had sealed himself inside her. A tremour of excitement ran through his true form inside it's cloak of flesh.

Again she hesitated, then shrugged and unwound the scarf.

He couldn't control his sharp intake of breath when he saw the scar and he sensed her sudden rush of panic. He reacted quickly to calm her,

"Please forgive me, that was unthinking and rude. But if you will allow me, I would like to make amends. I can remove this easily for you."

She stared at him suspiciously,

"You can, how?"

"It's part of my trade, nothing more. We are taught how to repair damage, a small cantrip is all it takes. You have seen how flawless the leather is? It's a simple task and I would be happy to help if you will let me."

Of course it was anything but a simple cantrip, he would have to pull on the necromantic magics that he used for himself. But he doubted she would know that, very few people did. He would have removed it anyway when he was preparing her for his use. The idea of blemishes appalled him, skin was so beautiful when it was smooth and unmarked. It was such a shame humans treated it so badly, they didn't deserve such a treasure.

"Well alright, but I think I'll just take a hold of my sword. If you don't mind of course?

He recognised the threat but he would do nothing to warrant it. Not now. Of course when the threat did manifest it would be far too late for her to do anything about it.

"Of course, that's not a problem at all. Now if you just let me know when you are ready."

The scar at her neck looked to be recent. He could tell the cut had been deep, heavy and shattered the bone. It should have killed her, he wondered how she had survived. It excited him to think how strong she must be, how robust. Her body would serve him so well. Perhaps he should make the armour, it would be worth it to protect this vessel that would protect him. A double layer between him and the harsh world that reviled his kind.

When she nodded for him to continue, he released the power he was granted and felt the familiar flow of energy through him. But then unexpectedly, he felt an answering pull and for a brief moment he lost control and felt himself being drained. He pulled back sharply and the grasping feeling subsided so fast he couldn't be sure if it had been real. Though the scar was gone better than he would have expected over such a short duration, as had the one on her arm.

"There you see, finished and as good as new, perfect as before,"

he complimented her. She would trust him when she returned and that would make things so much easier. He couldn't have had a better chance to show his good intentions. He watched her as she ran her hand over the repaired skin and the look of delight as she registered his healing. Oh, this one was so vain with her desire for attractive armour and willingness to allow a stranger to treat her. Her vanity would be her undoing. And then he would use the admiration she recieved to disarm others.

But he was tired now, drained from his work the night before and this unexpected interruption. He needed her gone so he could recover and prepare for her return. He moved to conclude their business and arranged her collection of the leather in two days. Enough time to complete the suit he was working on and the new one he would make for when he was clothed in her. She turned as she was leaving the shop, what did she want now?

"I almost forgot why I came here, could you tell me what this is?"

He recognised the scrap of hide she held out and quickly composed himself. Did she know anything? No, the look she held was one of innocent enquiry and she wouldn't have exposed such vulnerability to him if she suspected. He took the piece and pretended to examine it, turning it over in his yellowing fingers. His disliked the feel of this hide, so rough and thick. But it served well for his purposes. Absorbing the stains and protecting him should he mistake the level of control he had over his victims. He knew it had torn when it caught on a nail protruding from the doorway where he had been hiding. He had forgotten about it afterwards, too busy with his knives.

He answered slowly as if having to think of the answer,

"Very unusual, not like any leather I have, far too crude. Let me think...big animal...thick skin...hairless...and the colour...? No, it can't be, surely not...yet...what else? This is elephant hide, how strange, but yes definitely elephant hide. Where did you get this?"

"I found it on the ground by the market, how odd...and what's an "elephant"?

"An elephant? It's a large animal, big, bigger than a horse. Only place I can think you might find one was in a zoo...or a circus. Isn't there a circus just set up in Waukeen's? You should ask there perhaps".

Pleased with himself for remembering that detail he handed the scrap back to her. That would lead her away from here and on the offchance she suspected something later, it would be too late. He would be ready for her.
    BlackravenBalrog99Loldrup