Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• ArkynomiconArkynomicon Member Posts: 52
    @State_Lemming
    That's true. Might make for an interesting party setup with a jaded couple on an adventure just for the sake of saving their marriage.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    edited October 2012
    Maybe someone should make a BG mod like that for Khalid and Jaheira.
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Backers
    $2,308,632
    pledged of $1,100,000 goal
    days to go

$2.3 mil goal achieved! Modes added and godlike races included. 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6 mil will probably be the last stretch goals with 12 days to go. Hope we hit all of them! That Adventurer's Hall sounds cool.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I wish they'd move crafting to 2.6. and move the other two down.
    New classes and Adventurer's hall is way cooler than crafting!
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    I wish it had coop like most of the other infinty games :(
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Crafting. Blah. I've never had it be something I liked in a game - always cumbersome.
  • mungomunkmungomunk Member Posts: 63
    this looks so fantastic already!!
    and yeah never was a big fan of crafting either.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    I think crafting is great! as long as it will take time, quest completion, a lot of money or huge luck to get rare components to craft a weapon, Im 100% for it.
    I Wouldn't like a simple crafting made from easy acquired junk you'll find everywhere in the world.
    I want to feel proud when I craft a weapon. It would be nice if you could name and design your weapon, without paying $1000 offcourse:)
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    They need to add more companions. At least 2 to have 10 together, so at least 1 full alternative party. 8 companions are too few, it is for sure that you don´t run accidentally into potential companion just like in BG, but they will be more forced to you, made the way you won´t miss them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MReedMReed Member Posts: 25
    Actually, based on the developer comments prior to the addition of the adventure hall, companions recruited from here /won't/ be free -- you'll need to spend GPs (or whatever) to create / add them to your party. You'll still get to generate their stats, race, class, and name, of course.

The concept is that the GP cost will generally prevent players from adding more companions to the party then they are "supposed to have" at a particular point in the game. This makes balancing the game easier (for example, if you had a full party of 6 the early combats in BG1 were pretty trivial).
    Mathuzzz said:

They need to add more companions. At least 2 to have 10 together, so at least 1 full alternative party. 8 companions are too few, it is for sure that you don´t run accidentally into potential companion just like in BG, but they will be more forced to you, made the way you won´t miss them.

I prefer eight or less actually, I like my companions fleshed out and opinionated. Having a lot of companions risks diminishing the whole group in terms of character development.

Planescape and the first Dragon Age are good examples.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Hmm.

You know, this Adventurer's Hall concept could be interesting.

An Evil character with fewer options for NPC companions might be forced to hire mercenaries from the adventurer's hall, which is pretty much what you'd expect from a guy who kicks puppies for a living. At the same time, evil folks are more likely to accumulate great wealth because their methods are morally utilitarian, so they'll be more financially capable of "hiring their own help", so to speak.

That's a side of things that I didn't think about, but I kind of like it a lot.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Isometric party based rpg from the makers of planescape torment. I thought it had at least some relevance to leave here :)

I saw only talking heads, nothing isometric. Unity (the engine they use) is a 3d engine of sorts.
    edited October 2012
    @Aosaw

One of the things I liked about Fallout: New Vegas was the lack of evil companions, I really like the evil scenario you put together. Being an opportunistic scoundrel might get you ahead, but you aren't going to make any friends.
    Post edited by State_Lemming on
    edited October 2012
    I oversimplified, I changed my wording.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited October 2012

@Aosaw

One of the things I liked about Fallout: New Vegas was the lack of evil companions, I really like the evil scenario you put together. Being an opportunistic scoundrel might get you ahead, but you aren't going to make any friends.

Actually, a particularly charming scoundrel with principles might make friends in different ways, but as you move more and more toward the "dark" side of things, fewer and fewer people are willing to go along for the ride if they're not being paid. They're more likely to be the kinds of people who would stab you in the back, which makes them less useful as traveling companions.

You're more likely to find people willing to travel with you if you're a good guy, because your good reputation is more likely to yield people rewards even if they don't necessarily want to put their lives on the line every day.

So an evil bloke will have to hire his help, and as a result his flunkies will appear to be shallow or two-dimensional because they're little more than pawns or tools. That still leaves room for one or two righteously Evil NPCs, but it doesn't require the game to provide the evil-minded player with an entire party of fully fleshed out evil characters.

This is, of course, making an assumption on my part. But if I were to write a game with an evil path, I'd probably go this route.

EDIT: Actually, I'd also allow the opportunity for the player to "convert" the members of his party to be either "more good" or "more evil" through dialogue. That way, a charismatic player has the opportunity to enact real palpable change in the characters around him (or her), for better or worse, as a reflection of his ability to lead. Characters that don't have that ability can hire mercenaries to fill in the gaps, and particularly uncharismatic characters will have to pay everyone they work with not to murder or abandon them in their sleep.

This also allows greater variation in the story without requiring the creation of a dozen or more separate entities to fill niches in an alignment-based party. It would be interesting, for example, if you could convince Jaheira that the best course of action in response to Khalid's fate is to take out her anger on those who affront nature, thereby transforming her slowly into a Shadow Druid; or to convince Korgan that, yes, there is also gold to be had in "doing the right thing", eventually shifting him more to a defender's role.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    I pledge $140 few days ago :) I hope they will make a beautiful old-school RPG.
    Backers
    $2,426,426
    days to go

$2.4 mil achieved, crafting and enchanting included.
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    Wouldn't it be cool to make BG3 in the Project Eternity engine?
    I was under the impression the Bhaalspawn saga ends with ToB (I never finished ToB so feel free to correct me).
    That's fine by me. :)

I just wouldn't want a BG3 to continue the Bhaalspawn story.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    I have backed this but its going to be such a long wait! The greatest lesson in patience, will be interesting how it all pans out.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    edited October 2012
    I'm probably going to completely forget about it... and then (if they manage to stick to their April release) get an email saying 'It's ready!' on the day of my birthday! That'll be one of the best birthdays ever.

Oh, and less than $900 away from barbarian and cipher! (Though they've already updated the page and said goal reached.)
    Backers
    $2,503,649
    days to go

$2.5 mil achieved, Barbarians and Ciphers are now included. Next stretch goal is Adventurer's Hall!

Endless Paths of Od Nua is now 5 levels deep.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    I feel like each stretch goal means 3 more months of waiting.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm feeling like the stretch goals are like the cake. I mean, now it's getting silly. Like, pledge more money and we'll make it good. You reach a point and you have a kick start. After that, it seems a bit greedy. Don't get me wrong, I hope this does well, but I'd sort of rather see them reach a decision that they've gotten enough of a pledge and that they can add nice-to-haves anyway, as sales bring in other revenue.

I also think that buying on the premise that it should be good is what got me to buy Master of Orion 3, Xwing vs TIE fighter, Dragon Age II and The Old Republic.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, watch it! I'm Huge!