Skip to content

BG2 DVD-version lagging problem

KedineKedine Member Posts: 31
Hi ppl, I'm asking for help:

I had to initialize my computer and now my BG2 TOB does not work right.
I have Win10 operating system.
I've now installed the game twice and added mod G3.
When starting the actual game it is super slow. My character wakes up in the dungeon and Irenicus walks in super slow and all magic animation is suuuuper slow. When I try to play my character lags and only thing that goes normally are the conversations between characters.
What can I do to fix this? I didn't have this problem before initializing, so I must now lack something...

Thanks for support!

Kedi

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Kedine, I am guessing that you are talking about the EE version here. If so, you could try changing the engine to run Alternate Render (found in the Graphics Options). Often when changing to Alt Render, you end up with a Long Save. Have a look here, it may help.

If you have installed from the DVD, and not updated, then you could try updating as well.

I am unsure what (which?) mod G3 is, but how does it go without that mod?

One other thing to look at: Graphics drivers. Windows 10 has, in the past, upset the cookie cart when it does it's update. Try looking at your video card and sound card drivers to make sure they are upto date. This can be done using DxDIAG, run in the Search/Cortana prompt.

If you need a hand for any of this, then let me know and I will assist where I can.
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Gusinda said:

If you have installed from the DVD, and not updated, then you could try updating as well.

And check out how to do it here: http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/05/beamdog-client-update-physical-enhanced.html
  • KedineKedine Member Posts: 31
    Gusinda said:

Hi @Kedine, I am guessing that you are talking about the EE version here.

Nope, the original version (I want all the pictures etc. to remain old more realistic style)
    My DVD is 4 in 1 box set
    Behind it says "Combatible with Windows XP and Vista".

It has worked before initializing my computer :/
    I have no problems with other games.

The mod is this one: http://www.gibberlings3.net/tweaks/
    ANd it's been working with that too earlier.

I really appreciate it if you may help ^,^

@Kedine, it may take a while for memory to operate at full strength but one of the things I use to have to do was disable 3D acceleration using the game config.

I started using the Widescreen mod to set it to native screen resolution (not sure what would happen on 'modern' resolutions of more than 1200*1980 though if that is what you have).

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
    I'll try, thank you.
    It seems to be problem that I have Radeon (AMD A10-7300 Radeon R6) prosessor, and when trying to open Radeon setting it does not recognize/lack the driver (apparently). I could use any graphics program but I dunno witch one is good or how to install it. My friend did put Radeon on my computer so I could play modern game (I do not play anymore the game so it's fine to get another program).

baldur.ini shows that 3d acceleration is off.

My computer is HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p269no
    Hi @Kedine, would you be able to run DXDIAG from Search/Cortana (Magnifying Glass icon) next to the Start menu (just type DXDIAG and run). When it is finished collecting it's results, could you then save to a file using "Save All Information..." then upload the file. This would give a good indicator as to what your current drivers look like and assist with the trouble shooting.

While you uploading, could you also make a copy of baldur.ini as baldur.ini.txt and upload that as well.

If you are unaware how to upload to the forum, use the icon that looks like a page with the corner bent above.

Thanks
    Gus
    Here we go!

Thank you Gus!

(^,^)/
    @Kedine, had a quick look at your drivers and the Video and Audio are out of date.

Video drivers.
    Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 M260, Current version: 15.201.1101.0 dated 6.8.2015

The Windows Update Catalog has a set of drivers that will ake them to 22.19.162.4 (24 Apr 2017). You are likely to find that the larger version of the driver is the 64Bit driver.
    AMD also has another version of a driver that you could look at if you wish.

Audio Driver
    Realtek High Definition Audio. Current: 6.00.0001.7344 (16.9.2014)

Again, Windows Catalog probably has a better update for you.
    It should update you to 6.0.1.7982 (11/8/2016).

How to install both...
    Windows Catalog generally provides you with a cabinet (.cab) file which is a versionof a packe file (like .zip and .rar). I use WinRAR to handle my compressed files and it is able to unpack .cab files with no problems. Unpack it into it's own folder then open 'Device Manager' (Right Click on the Start Icon), select Display Adapters, Double Click on your AMD adapter. This will open up a new window. Go to the TAB for Driver and select Update Driver button. Browse computer and find the folder that you unpacked into. This should update your driver.

Do the same for your audio card then test the game again. If it still isn't working, could you upload your baldur.ini for perusal?

Aslo a quick question. When you installed the game last, it was working OK. Do you recall when you installed and what version of Windows 10?

Thanks
    Gus

JuliusBorisov
    Here is my baldur.ini
    I'll try that driver thing, when I get someone smarter than me to help me. (why, oh why is my computer settings in Finnish...)

The game worked great with my Win8 (but now closest to "working" I get with XP compability mode), and now I have Win10 pro (though I am no pro... it was so much easier playing games with Win3.1, just insert floppy disk and go x)

Thanks Gus, you're great
    edited November 2018
    Hi @Kedine,

I think I can see the problem. Somehow, you grahics are set to 16 Bit (haven't seen that in a long time...). Change that to 32Bit.

BitsPerPixel=16 (change to 32)

I have made some changes to your baldur.ini including the above and setting 3D Acceleration back to enabled etc, and attached it. Rename your baldur.ini and give this a go. Just rename it to baldur.ini...

Also, a change I haven't made is setting it to at least 1024x768. If you are into mods, then the Widescreen mod is excellent. You should be able to run it 1920x1080 (or if you want a lower res for easier reading, then go 1440x900).

Fingers crossed you will be gathering your party shortly.
    Gus

PS: The driver install isn't that bad. If you are keen, I can step you through the process.

Post edited by Gusinda on
    JuliusBorisov
    Wohoo!

Thank you Gus!
    Game works!
    Only thing different now is that the "Full screen" is so small that it makes playing a bit tricky (game area is a box in the middle of black screen)
    But characters move fast and my mouse is not blinking anymore! \(^,^)/

I surely can fix the drivers too, but now I'm just happy that the game works even when the screen is small ^,^

-Kedi
    GusindaJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2018
    @Kedine, happy it worked.

Widescreen mod would fix the small screen. If you have't used mods before and are concerned about how to install, then ask here and we will get you running in a little better resolution. I found 1440 x 900 easiest for me, but give 1920x1080 a go first just to see what it is like. To change to another resolution, it is simply a case of running setup-widescreen again and entering new coordinates.

If your not keen on running a mod, then the best thing I could suggest is to run the game in Windowed Mode. If you have trouble moving around (mouse running of the screen and not moving the screen), then revert back to Full Screen.

Full Screen=0

and change the resolution to 1024 (which will give you 1024x768).

Resolution=1024

You might be able to go higher where '1280' would give you 1280x960 and '1600' will give you 1600x1200, however, I have never had much success using the two higher modes. Screen artifacts everywhere.

Gus

Edit: Another method would be to change the resolution of the computer prior to playing the game and setting it back when finished... Pain as it would be, you would get the game fullscreen.
    JuliusBorisov
    Hmm.. Earlier it just changed the computer resolution for the game for itself and back when done...
    I guess I gotta do it manually then ^,^ I already got resolution to 1024 but it does not make it much bigger.
    I have nothing against mods. I just like the nostalgia of three pixels walking around x)

Manually changing is fine, since at least I know how to do it x)
    I'll try that. Will see how it goes :3

Aaaand it seems like even if computer is set to same resolution than the game, it just changes the view back as before... So earlier it did change game to reso 800 and back normal after the game, now it changes 800 reso to maximum but keeps game itself in a small window as 1024, after game lets computer to return resolution 1024...
    Argh xD Whyyyy!?

Let's just try the mods.
    In config it gives me just 640x480, 800x600 and when unlocking the mods just 1024x768.
    It does not let me choose 1280x960 or more...
    edited November 2018
    @Kedine, don't have an AMD card but when you right click on the Windows background, do you get something like 'Graphics Options' in the context menu? If so, you could try playing with the settings on 'Panel Fit' maybe using 'Scale Full Screen' or something similar...

Found this which might help. It talks about a similar problem.

Gus

Edit: If you edit baldur.lua and use the line:

Resolution=1280

then you should get a chance to see what it looks like. For me, the opening menu used to be out of whack. If it is a prob, then just manually edit the line again to read 1024.

For Widescreen, you still get the three pixels walking, it is just that the enveloping (black lines) are filled in using the game environment and Windows doesn't throw your other windows around when it sets the Aspect Ratio.
    JuliusBorisov
    I tried the Graphics options, they were already "Scale full screen".

I do not have baldur.lua
    I have baldur.log, baldur.baf, baldur.gam, baldur.log, baldur.bcs, baldur.sav and baldur.ini

I tried the thing behind the link and with different settings (than recommend in the message) I got it work(!!!!), BUT (there is always the fucking but) it asks me to put in CD2 that I do not have since it is all 4in1 DVD, and it does not accept the DVD.
    It will ask for the expansion CD just with WinXP-conpability mode (that I have used every time before, since it DOES work), and if I put the settings of the BGmain to XP-conpability mode, it does not open the BGmain anymore via that DXWnd -program... (at least not with the same path, but I do not know if the conpability mode creates another one somewhere).

So I can get full window, but no game (just ToB, not the base game with or without expansion), or small window and working game... T_T

I could try the widescreen, if you can help me to get it on, could try if it would work :)
    Hi @Kedine, uhm yeah, sorry about that. Been playing with the EEs... I meant to say baldur.ini (baldur.lua replaces this file in the EEs).

Widescreen Mod sits on G3 mods site which is down at the moment. I will dig up the version (is the same latest version) I have and post later today with the instructions on installing.

For the CD2 prob, not sure why the game wants to reinstall something but... in the baldur.ini there is an Alias which should read:

CD2:=C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\English\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\

Just make sure that it still reads this (I am guessing here that you did a complete installation). You could add a path to the DVD if you want to give that a try.

Gus
    edited November 2018
    Hi @Kedine,

Firstly, I would recommend uninstalling Baldur's Gate 2 and reinstall. Windows 10 has a problem (or not) in protecting (sometimes overprotected to the point of not being able to save the game...) the files located in \Program Files and \Program Files (x86)\. This has some impact on older games (and newer) that don't understand the nature of this protection.

If you have another drive other than C: I recommend that you install the game on that, if you don't, I recommend that you create a folder called C:\Games and install here. This would mean that you would end up with an installation folder called something like 'C:\Games\BG2' or x:\Games\BG2' if installed on another drive. Nice and easy to get to.

I have installed BG2 to make sure that the instructions are good, hopefully they are not too verbose.

- Download Widescreen 3.07.zip attached and unpack into x:\Games\BG2 keeping folder structure. This means that you have 'setup-widescreen.exe' in the same folder as baldur.exe and bgmain.exe and a new folder call 'widescreen'
    - Run 'setup-widescreen.exe' by double-clicking. It will ask about language, Select 0 for English.
    - You can have a look at the readme if you wish, it will open in the background however just select 'n' for now.
    - Select '1' for Infinity Engine
    - Now asking for X coordinate. This is where you select the size of the screen you want to display. Due to having a 1920x1080 screen, this is an aspect ratio of 16:9 so I would stick within that aspect. The game was written for 4:3, so if you want to keep it in that aspect ratio, you would end up with black lines on the sides, if so 1440x1080 would suit. There is no benefit however.
    Assumming that you are going to use your full screen at 1920 x 1080, then type in '1920' (no quotes) and hit enter.
    - Y coordinate - '1080'
    - Are your Sure - 'y'
    This will set your game screen to 1920x1080, ask you if all is good to go and install the necessary components, and tell you it is finished.

You can now start the game. No need to set the resolution in the game as the mod has already looked after this.

You can now play full screen, no black lines...

If you find that the font is too small, there is a mod out that will increase the size, but I have never used it and it sits on SHS site (which is also down - same server appartently). It should be here and when the site comes back up, I will grab it and see if there are any quirks to it usage/install.

I have also included as an attachment a DDraw replacement. If you have any artificats (like tears/flickering etc in the screen) that interfere with the game, then copy these three files into x:\Games\BG2 and it should fix that. There is no harm in putting them in now if you wish. I had a quick play through (bit of nostalgia might mean that I keep it on for a while...) and had now problems with flickers either way.

I normally run the game directly using bgmain.exe, setting up a desktop icon and using the baldur.exe icon.

I also head for the folder x:\games\BG2\data\movies\ and rename 'Movies.bif' to 'Movies.bif.orig' and create a new text file (empty) called Movies.bif. Right click on the right hand side of Explorer and select New from the context menu. Select New 'Text Document' and give it the name 'Movies.bif' making sure that the .txt part is gone. This will get rid of the Logo introduction and go straight to the menu screen. If the game asks for a CD here, then the name of the new file is incorrect. Just rename it to the right name and try again.

Hope all works out for you. If they don't, ask Qs and I will see if I can answer.
    Gus

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you want to further change the resolution open to the game folder x:\Games\BG2 and double click on 'setup-widescreen.exe' and enter the new coordinates. Very simple and very fast. If you were to add further mods to the game, then I would place this mod last in the install list.

If you want to uninstall the mod, just run 'setup-widescreen.exe' and select 'U' for Uninstall.
    JuliusBorisov
    Oh, I have quite an adventure last night...
    I tried to update some of the drivers you recommended and apparently newest AMD update was not compatible... Well, my computer got stuck and nothing helped, it could not even return to the save point or fix the problem via bios... SO, I got to formatize/initialize.
    My computer got back to Win8 since it was the factory setting, and then I got to contact Microsoft (US, since it was already 4am in FInland) and there they helped me with my licence key to get the Win10 pro back.
    Then of course my computer too it's time and I got to go to sleep around when you sent me your message :D Went to sleep leaving computer to update etc.

Well, I got to start clean with BG too. I did already created Games folder and installed the game there. Will do the rest later since now got to get to work.

Will tell you how it went ^,^

Thanks a lot Gus for your patience and work you've done for me! <3
    @Kedine, well yes that is some adventure! I would have thought that the drivers would not have installed if they weren't compatable.

Oh well, I always try to have an annual reinstall anyway. Get rid of all that junk.

Hope it all just gets better
    Gus
    Hi Gus!

I noticed that the .ini file you sent me must have the problem of small window. So it was in the ini in the first place.
    I have problems now with my BG2 to go to the areas I have not explored yet (when trying to enter new area on the map I haven't visited yet the game freezes in loading window and drops me out of game).
    I tried if the -ini file you gave me arlier would help, and when I changed the baldur.ini woth it, the window pops into small again.
    I do not know what is the difference since I could not find it (here is my ini-file witch the game is whole screen as intended with).
    I'll try to install the game and the mod once again if it would help me with the entering new areas (I used my old game saves, so it might be that the mod had different setting earlier than now etc.)

If we find the problem with ini-file it might help in the future :)

-Vivi
    Gusinda
    @Kedine, good pickup... If you change this line, you should be able to get the resolution you are chasing:

3D Acceleration=1
    to
    3D Acceleration=0

Changing that line made difference to the game on my system, so without the Widescreen mod I get 800x600 at full screen (although stretched). If you want 1024x786, then change the line:

Resolution=800
    to
    Resolution=1024

Thanks and enjoy the game
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov