Skip to content

If Baldur's Gate was a PnP campaign...

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199
At @Artona's request, we're creating a new forum game: what would Baldur's Gate be like if it was a PnP campaign?

Comments

• SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Did you know?.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    If Baldur's Gate was a PnP campaign:
    a) Edwin would be Game Master's precious NPC-mage that absolutely *has to be* better than players' mages and keeps reminding them of that.
    b) Habib would be just a cheap way to force players to pay attention: "hey, stop talking about last episode of GoT! There's... There's dude throwing daggers at you!".
    c) Jon Irenicus' ability to move during Time Stop would be improvised idea to make him more challenging, after realising that players are able to wreck with little effort.
    d) Girlde of Masculinity/Feminity would only exist, because of players decided to wear it before identifying, because what's the worse that could happen? ;)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    System said:

what would Baldur's Gate be like if it was a PnP campaign?

Key Features:
    • Two and a half Real Life years of gameplay at minimum
    • Fully detailed 3D models on your gaming table finally defeats the long lost source arts dilemma
    • Better pathfinding thanks to state-of-the-art, hand driven algorithm
    • Native language support with fully voiced NPC's
    • Also featuring Noober as the DM
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

If BG were a PnP game, then Durlag's Tower was something the GM designed out of spite after the players insisted that Tomb of Horrors had become a cakewalk for them.

...And after they beat Durlag's, he designed the Firewine Ruins to be just as annoying, but without the loot.

Nah, Durlag's is too fun.

• smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    If BG were a PnP game then there would always be a big fight before hand about who gets to play Gorion's ward... Gotta get those innate spells, hell trial bonuses, and be the only active character whilst dreaming.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I could see Khalid or Jaheira, and then later Minsc or Dynaheir being locked in a room somewhere and their players vainly knocking on the table saying,

"Excuse me DM, still here, do I get a turn now?"

(that is if they have managed to survive walking naked into a group of hobgoblins/gnolls/ect.)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Artona said:

If Baldur's Gate was a PnP campaign:
    a) Edwin would be Game Master's precious NPC-mage that absolutely *has to be* better than players' mages and keeps reminding them of that.
    b) Habib would be just a cheap way to force players to pay attention: "hey, stop talking about last episode of GoT! There's... There's dude throwing daggers at you!".
    c) Jon Irenicus' ability to move during Time Stop would be improvised idea to make him more challenging, after realising that players are able to wreck with little effort.
    d) Girlde of Masculinity/Feminity would only exist, because of players decided to wear it before identifying, because what's the worse that could happen? ;)

And what's wrong with "a)" as a rule?

The GM sounds like a thoroughly sensible and wise person . :D
    @UnderstandMouseMagic
    And what's wrong with "a)" as a rule?

The GM sounds like a thoroughly sensible and wise person . :D

Nothing. Players simply love killing this kind of npcs. ;)

If Baldur's Gate was a PnP campaign no player in the world would stop for even a moment to consider *not* killing leader of Iron Throne in Candlekeep.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    This thread is the bestest ever.
    GM: He says "my name is Koveras, and"...
    Charname: Yeah, it's Sarevok alright. Imkoen, cast Greater Malision, Jaheira - Chant, Dynaheir - Haste. I gulp potion of heroism and start hacking him.
    GM: But you are within sancted walls of Candlekeep! Violence is forbidden here!
    Charname: I have 17 Charisma and 20 Reputation, we'll be fine. And we've got score to settle...
    DM: Hey players. I bought that funny supplement book - it's called SCS. Let's try it out, shall we?
    Two hours later
    DM: Well, nowhere in the rules it says that you can't have two spells immunities at the same time. Or that lich can't cast PfMW twice in the row. >evil grin<
    One hour of arguing later
    DM: Last time you said that "Demogorgon is laughably easy", and that you need "real challenge". So that's exactly what I did. >:)

@BelgarathMTH - I'll try to remember it next time I'm in Candlekeep. IIRC, he automatically approaches you and disappears after conversation, so it maybe not possible to kill him.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited December 2018
    Greywolf would be a total party kill.

A Lv. 7 FIghter with a magic long sword +2? There is no way Lv. 2 characters would survive to this...
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    .....and I was DM. All the healing potions would be fitted with childproof caps.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Vitor said:

A Lv. 7 FIghter with a magic long sword +2? There is no way Lv. 2 characters would survive to this...

Well, if he failed his save vs. blindness...otherwise, yeah, no.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Vitor said:

I don’t know... how would a DM respond to the kiting tactic?

I’d be more:

player1: I run away out of his sword’s reach while everyone else pelts him with arrows.

DM: ok. You disengage in combat. The bounty hunter strides over to the artist and *rolls a die* kills him in one hit. Sling bullets bounce off his back as he bends down and removes what look like 2 emeralds from the lifeless corpse. Your arrows go wide as he ignores you and strolls back to town.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    dunbar said:

.....and I was DM. All the healing potions would be fitted with childproof caps.

[golf clap] Bra ........ vo!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2019
    Baldur's Gate guard: You can't go here. There are bandits about so we've declared this bridge closed.
    Party: Fine, can we go back to the fisherman and get one of them to row us across?
    DM: They refuse because of they fear they angered Umberlee.
    Party: Can we steal one of their boats?
    DM: Sure you can try to. But no one has proficiency with using boats.
    Safana: Wrong. I've got it. Let's do this thing.
    Post edited by elminster on