Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights 2 Enhanced Edition

1235»

Comments

• loudentloudent Member Posts: 38
    So I'm not sure that NWN2 needs a "remastered" version but I would pay money for some developer to pick it up and bring it into the modern age and fix some bugs. However, many of the reasons I preferred NWN2 over NWN1 are slowly disappearing as BD and the community address them and if the balance ever tips I might shut down my current NWN2 server and build a NWN1 PW
  • necxelosnecxelos Member Posts: 10
    DrakeICN said:

3.5 rules are broken beyond repair, what with 6 APR improved knockdown (almost impossible to resist) no BA limit fighters.

Basically, during the same time a mage takes to cast magic missile, a fighter can dish out 120 dmg PLUS incapacitate the mage with knockdown (assuming the mage somehow survives the 120 dmg).

Comparing classes like that never made sense and never will. Also fighters (especially melee) of any kind are allways inferior to casters. So if You want to compare fighter that does what You say he does, Your 3.5 wizard oponnent will just teleport high in the air using sudden swift phase door, stays in the air using fly and bombard the hell out of fighter however he/she pleases. Or just kill the fighter using sudden swift phantasm (fighters have nonexistent will saves) and done if he is in a rush.

All in all, 3.5 is just better, more refined 3.0 so there's absolutely no reason to stay within frames of 3.0 if You have a choice.

As for NWN 2 in general. The only reasons I consider it worse than NWN 1 are:
    - Lower level cap (30 vs 40) which can be easily fixed with EE,
    - Harder modding and less/smaller mods (PRC for NWN 2 has like 100 times less content than PRC for NWN 1 and both are basically staples of NWN modding and main reasons to play those games in the first place), which can also be improved with EE,
    ...anything else in NWN 2 is absolutely superior to NWN 1.
    ThacoBellkanisathaThorsson
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Yes, many of these preferences are exactly that. Preferences. They're often at least partially subjective. For me, people talking about 3.5e being "broken" or anything along those lines may as well be speaking Chinese. For me, 3.5e edition is awesome and makes complete sense, whereas 2e is utterly stupid and gawdawful!! Similarly, I love NwN2 and hate NwN1, this for multiple reasons but most significantly because NwN2 is party-based whereas NwN1 is not.
  • TvinTvin Member Posts: 3
    If you made parry work as it was intended, I'd buy it in a second. My understanding of the original was that it didn't work due to the animations? Or the engine not being able to handle the number of attacks that would be allowed? It's been a while, so I don't remember what the exact issue was. Still, a properly implemented parry skill would open up a lot of options for character builds. (I just wanna build BatDude)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Tvin What's wrong with parry? I've heard people complain about it before, but I've never had any problems. My first NWN2 run was with a swashbuckler/duelist. My standard strategy was to just run into groups of enemies and activate parry. It seemed to work fine to me.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited December 2018
    @ThacoBell
    NWN2's Parry has the exact same problem as NWN1's parry: only 1 attack per flurry may be parried since attacks "double up" at 4+ attacks/round. This problem is made worse by the fact that BAB keeps improving past level 20, unlike in NWN1, which means that certain builds can get to a truly ridiculous number of attacks per round thanks to Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting, like the Kaze no Kama. Against an opponent like that who has 18 attacks per round, Parry will only work against 3 attacks.

The skill in NWN2 is slightly better than NWN1 because of an added ability to parry a number of attacks beyond your own number of attacks per round but with an increasing -3 skill penalty to each. However, this only applies when facing multiple opponents, since Parry will still only work against up to 3 attacks per enemy.

If Parry was fixed to work against multiple attacks per flurry, Parry builds could actually be pretty strong. As they are now, they're merely sub-par. You can kill things faster by just attacking normally with such a build.
    ThacoBell
    edited December 2018
    @ThacoBell
    Basically what Flashburn said. While a rapier wielding duelist parrying and riposting, or an unarmed monk using his enemies' momentum against them are awesome concepts, they don't really work out in high level play.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I mean, I didn't have any issues doing though.
    Fair enough. I just found it was easier to simply beat stuff to death after a certain level.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    What problem exactly people have with 3.5 ruleset? I played it only a little bit, and I don't recall anything being broken.
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2018
    Sikorsky said:

What's your opinion on giving us a EE of this great game.

This would be conditional on new content. If there is no extra content (quests / characters or even expansions) then I am happy with the Vanilla GOG version.
  • wannabebrucewannabebruce Member Posts: 1
    NWN2 is the game against which I measure all other RPGs I play. I have checked the web every few years for any hint of a third game. I bought sword coast. Because it was referred to as the predicessor to Neverwinter knights. Disappointed.

If I can't get a third one, I will happily play an enhanced NWN2.

Most memorable game experience of my life.
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    spacejaws wrote: »
    Remake Neverwinter Nights in IE like God intended :wink:

I'm probably necroing this thread, but this guy is damn right.
    leeux
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    GrimjackMV wrote: »
    What's your opinion on giving us a EE of this great game.

This would be conditional on new content. If there is no extra content (quests / characters or even expansions) then I am happy with the Vanilla GOG version.

problem is some people have issues running the vanilla gog version on certain computers. movies don't play right, there is a transparent issue with the ui. the ee works better on modern computers.
    ThacoBellkanisatha