Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights 2 Enhanced Edition

SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
What's your opinion on giving us a EE of this great game.
  1. Neverwinter Nights 2 Enhanced Edition151 votes
    1. I love this idea!
      49.67%
    2. I would buy it.
      29.14%
    3. I have no opinion.
        8.61%
    4. I wouldn't buy it.
        7.28%
    5. I hate this idea!
        5.30%

Comments

• SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    I personally love the idea. 4K, meybe some new races/classes, upgraded interface. Whats your opinion on that?
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited April 2017
    3.5 rules are broken beyond repair, what with 6 APR improved knockdown (almost impossible to resist) no BA limit fighters.

Basically, during the same time a mage takes to cast magic missile, a fighter can dish out 120 dmg PLUS incapacitate the mage with knockdown (assuming the mage somehow survives the 120 dmg).
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Camera needs fixing really badly.
    DrakeICN said:

3.5 rules are broken beyond repair, what with 6 APR improved knockdown (almost impossible to resist) no BA limit fighters.

Basically, during the same time a mage takes to cast magic missile, a fighter can dish out 120 dmg PLUS incapacitate the mage with knockdown (assuming the mage somehow survives the 120 dmg).

Quickened Mirror Image -> Bigby's Forceful Hand. GG
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Let's hope that at least the source code and art files for the NwN franchise are still well preserved. And not lost in some garage fire or something like those of the IE games.

Especially NwN1 on would be in dire need for an complete graphical overhaul. Just thinking about the Sarrukh Lizardfolk of the OC... *urgh*... they are an affront against Faerûn. And don't get me started with the wingless, armless Vrok.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited April 2017
    I don't understant what could be worthy to "enhance"; the graphic is already ok and the 3.5 couldn't be changed. The official campaign and Mask of the Betrayer are already consequential without breaks so what would be the point? I don't want to buy a game just for an enhanced interface, at least for not so old games.
    Baldur's Gate improved a lot, with the enhanced version, just because there where a lot of details that were good to fix (something like changing disk, for example!).
    EDIT: In my opinion it would be much better to enhance IWD2. I would buy that game in a second, i love the original
    edited April 2017
    Flashburn said:

Camera needs fixing really badly.

DrakeICN said:

Quickened Mirror Image -> Bigby's Forceful Hand. GG
    Thats not the point. The point is that duals should be epic, like this clip of a battlemage fighting a warrior;
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=LfQvuPZLG6c

BG and IWD had alot more of that than did NWN. Like, playing an arcane archer = yawnfeast. And yes yes, I am sure there is some 1 hit 1 kill combo that devastates the arcance archer, but again, that is not the point.

Edit: Like, how did Pillars of Eternity do it? And how did (to at least a larger extent than NWN) DoA (even though the game suffered from many other issues) do it? Do that!
    Daevelon said:

I don't understant what could be worthy to "enhance"; the graphic is already ok and the 3.5 couldn't be changed. The official campaign and Mask of the Betrayer are already consequential without breaks so what would be the point? I don't want to buy a game just for an enhanced interface, at least for not so old games.
    Baldur's Gate improved a lot, with the enhanced version, just because there where a lot of details that were good to fix (something like changing disk, for example!).
    EDIT: In my opinion it would be much better to enhance IWD2. I would buy that game in a second, i love the original

I think that they can add some new classes (Hexblade, Warmage) prestige classes (Bladesinger, Purple Dragon Knight, Battlerager), new reces/subraces.
    In my opinion new campaign content/companions is bad idea.
    If possible, imroved textures and graphics will be nice, this game is from 2006.
    New difficulty levels like Legacy of Bhaal.
    Achivments.
    There's still a lot of bugs that need to be fixed.
    As for the 3.5 rules, I think that clever people could balance some ingame feats if necessary. I don't think that is a game-breaking issue.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    as long as they make storm of zehir im in, I actually wonder why no one has made the nwn1 campaign using the nwn2 toolset, because to be honest, nwn1 looks UGLY, nwn1 is just balls terrible when it comes to visuals, it definitely has not aged well when it comes to graphics, nwn2 visually is much more superior

if they thought about remaking the nwn series, they should make both games and all expansions use the nwn2 toolset
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited April 2017
    Has this annoying bug as well^^

The animation system in NWN2 uses values from your computer's internal clock for timing. If your computer has been running for a long time without restarting then the internal clock's value is too large for NWN2 to handle. For most people, restarting fixes the issue because it resets the clock to 0.

And a number of other things that never got fixed.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    edited April 2017
    Love, love, love, love.

with patches of course, but anyway, NWN2 EE is lovely idea and definitely something I would spend 50 bucks. I already own the CDs, I would go buy the game as soon as possible on GOG.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited April 2017
    Meh? I would take a wait and see approach.
    *EDIT* OH! I read that as the first one for some reason. I immediately osmose NWN2 EE into my being.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited April 2017
    Forget IWD2 or NwN1. NwN2 NEEDS an Enhanced Edition.

It didn't even get its last patch because Atari didn't pay for it, or so the old boards were saying.

NwN1 got a ton of updates and it was quite polished. It still wasn't polished or perfect, but so many things were optimized and made better.

NwN2 on the other hand, has horrendous hardcoded bugs from the NwN1 years, to this day.
    The toolset itself is outdated and people cannot even create new models that easily because it uses an ancient 3D model format.

Though, if I could ask for the ideal scenario, I would prefer a spiritual to the Neverwinter Nights games with the Pathfinder licence.
    Modern, polished, rebalanced, familiar and as unhardcoded as possible. Never mind that Paizo are easier to work with, I believe.

Either Beamdog or Obsidian need to get on it.
    edited April 2017
    sarevok57 said:

as long as they make storm of zehir im in, I actually wonder why no one has made the nwn1 campaign using the nwn2 toolset, because to be honest, nwn1 looks UGLY, nwn1 is just balls terrible when it comes to visuals, it definitely has not aged well when it comes to graphics, nwn2 visually is much more superior

if they thought about remaking the nwn series, they should make both games and all expansions use the nwn2 toolset

It would be great if they make Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition and it will include NWN1 campaign and NWN2 campaign both on the NWN2 engine. Storm of Zehir and Misteries of Wesgete also included. I love the idea. That would be both games enhanced at once. But I can imagine thats a LOT of work to export NWN1.

P.S. Also I would love to see BG or IWD style portraits for characters. I hate this NWN2 portraits style, it's ugly.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    I love nwn1 graphics, actually.
    edited April 2017
    Well someone is actually working on converting HotU to NwN 2. You've probably seen that members name on the Obsidian forums and the old bioware forum as well.

https://neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-2/nwn2-modules/hordes-underdark-revisited
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I heard that the team that made bg1 using the nwn2 toolset is working on bg2
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited April 2017
    Neverwinter Nights 1 looks better than NWN 2 in my opinion. I can make use of the craft armor skill in NWN to make my armor look any wayI want, sometimes I take the gauntlets off of lighter armors, or add spike pads, or whatever I want.

Everyone in NWN2 dresses like some sort of iron-clad nun, every inch covered, very few unique designs.

And the toolset sucks.

I agree, that needs an enhanced edition, there is very little wrong with NWN the way it is now imo
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    3D? Dear Ao, no thanks.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    How enhanced could it be? Honestly , NW2 graphics and animations aren't really my cup of tea, so I can't really give an opinion about it.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'd probably try it out if it used the Infinity Engine.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited April 2017
    So, what needs enhancing?

* The game engine: optimisation is appalling;

*Huge bugs in the way the rules are implemented. e.g. Uncanny Dodge does nothing;

*The graphics: Characters looks bad, and there is little choice for customising costumes;

*The OC: badly written on rails cliché ridden with intensly irritating companions (who you can't ditch or kill off).

So, what is left?

Masks of the Betrayer? Maybe just adapt that for tablets using an all new engine?

it need less an enhanced edition more an engine patch.

Yeah... and a new story, because that sux. And a patch of all feats because nothing works as intended. And rebalancing of all classes. And a redo of the dialogues and quests because whichever way you solve them you get the same end results. And a thousand other things - if you're gonna put that much work in, wtf not just make something new???

It's like trying to fix heroes of might and magic 4 - it is so broken, it takes more effort to salvage it than make a new game.

Shit in - Shit out!
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Most of Neverwinter Nights 2's problems stem from the Aurora Engine that it uses. Change that, though, and you've pretty much changed the whole game.

I might consider getting an EE of it, I might not. Who knows.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Daevelon other than support for modern hid-def displays, I would love to see a proper expansion using the overland map of the Storms of Zehir expansion. That expansion had a lot of potential with the new technology, but a story that did not deliver. If the story-writing of the MotB expansion could be coupled with the final iteration of the game UI, then we really would have a 3rd-person perspective FRPG to truly enjoy.

I would happily buy an enhanced edition of the original series to fund such a vision - although I'm not sure any games maker would share it, as surely they would want to make something bold and new, being creative folks, rather than treading in the technology of yesteryear (for all I am yet to see an FRPG environment that I have enjoyed as much since).
    edited April 2017

@Daevelon other than support for modern hid-def displays, I would love to see a proper expansion using the overland map of the Storms of Zehir expansion. That expansion had a lot of potential with the new technology, but a story that did not deliver. If the story-writing of the MotB expansion could be coupled with the final iteration of the game UI, then we really would have a 3rd-person perspective FRPG to truly enjoy.

I would happily buy an enhanced edition of the original series to fund such a vision - although I'm not sure any games maker would share it, as surely they would want to make something bold and new, being creative folks, rather than treading in the technology of yesteryear (for all I am yet to see an FRPG environment that I have enjoyed as much since).

Yes, exactly my point, although I did not express it as eloquently. BGEE made sense because you just polished BG a bit and then it shines. But since so very much of NWN2 is in need of fixing, every ounce of blood, sweat and tears you pour into a NWN2 makeover could instead be poured into something with a higher ROI.

Edit: For instance Arcanum.

2:nd edit: Also why are some people in this thread claiming NWN2 had good graphics? Contemporary games such as Champions of Norrath maybe does not have as "advanced" graphics, whatever that means*, but it still looks much better, because it is cleaner. Even older games such as Myth looks much better. NWN2 was and is ugly, plain and simple as that.

*For me, the scale goes from ugly to pretty, so for me, Shufflepuck Cafe have better graphics than do Mario 64, despite the latter having several generations more "advanced" graphics
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    DrakeICN said:

Edit: For instance Arcanum.

Arcanum, this is a great idea, totally
    I would imagine new content in an NwN or NwN2 EE would come in the form of a huge premium module of some sorts. Not unlike Mysteries of Westgate I guess..