Skip to content

Demographics Poll: What is your race/ethnicity?

semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
This is the second in a series of polls to measure the demographics of the Beamdog community (I was just curious). The poll is anonymous by default, but you're welcome to discuss the issue publicly if you like.

Due to how polls work, it's not possible to choose multiple options at once, so if you fit multiple categories, just pick whichever seems the closest.

The other polls are here:

Sex/Gender
Nationality
Religion
Political Affiliation
  1. Demographics Poll: What is your race/ethnicity?109 votes
    1. Non-Hispanic White (European)
      81.65%
    2. Black (African)
        0.00%
    3. East Asian
        4.59%
    4. Indian/South Asian
        1.83%
    5. Hispanic (Latina/Latino)
        3.67%
    6. Jewish
        0.92%
    7. Native American
        0.00%
    8. Middle Eastern (Arab/Persian)
        0.92%
    9. Multi-racial
        2.75%
    10. Other (please specify via post or PM if you wish to remain anonymous)
        3.67%
Post edited by semiticgoddess on
JuliusBorisovlolienAedanAdul

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Cherokee and Scottish. (I just look scottish though).

You know, the way race polls and surveys tend to be laid out bothers me. Wouldn't most people be multi racial?
    semiticgoddessZaghoul
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @ThacoBell: Depends on how you define it. There's a decent chance I have some Native American or black ancestry since my ancestors have been in America for so long, but even if I did, it's probably not very much. I'm mostly English but 1/8 Irish, but would you classify that as multi-racial or just white? I'd just describe myself as white, with the awareness that the term is scientifically meaningless.

Virtually everyone is a mishmash of multiple groups, most of which are close together, but our typical racial categories are mostly based on continents and the division of Eurasia into three parts (Europe, Middle East, and Asia) rather than genetics. It's inherently arbitrary. Race is one of those things that only exists in the sense that people believe in it (and unfortunately sometimes act upon it).

As for the layout, I considered making it alphabetical, but instead just ordered it by which groups came to mind first. Polynesians, Pacific Islanders, and Australian Aborigines ended up cut in order to make room for "Multi-racial" and "Other," since polls only allow for 10 options.
    Hold on... I need to fix this poll to make it anonymous.
    edited December 2018
    Tagging @ThacoBell @Bubb @DJKajuru @Artemius_I @O_Bruce @Enuhal @JLee @Ludwig_II to re-vote, since the first poll was accidentally made non-anonymous.
    JLeeThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    German/Irish in almost equal measure.
    ThacoBell
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I'm not "non hispanic white" I'm northern European.

Why on earth did you have such a strange catagory?

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'm white European. The most evil thing there is, according to social media :pensive:
    Okay, now that I have two least interesting of the polls, I'm waiting for political and religious affiliations.
    semiticgoddessBalrog99ThacoBellArdanis

I'm not "non hispanic white" I'm northern European.

Why on earth did you have such a strange catagory?

"Non Hispanic White" is a commonly used category to distinguish between white folks without Hispanic ancestry and those with it. Hispanic, after all, inherently means part-white, but Hispanic is generally treated as a separate category rather than just multi-racial, at least in the United States. You might not have seen it before for whatever reason, but I have. It's a standard term.

Again, I didn't make up these categories. These polls only permit 10 options and I filled them with the terms used by the society I live in.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I'm just as evil as O_Bruce. At least 700 years worth of it iirc. Time to ascend as the next Lord of Murder, mwoahahahah!
    Balrog99ThacoBell
    Just a trivia, my "The most evil thing there is" post was my 2666th post. Coincidence? I think not!
    Balrog99SilverstarMirandelUnderstandMouseMagic
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Eastern-european white.
    ThacoBell
    Artona said:

Eastern-european white.

Oh, one of 'those', eh? ;)
    ThacoBellArtonaAedan
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Balrog99 said:

Artona said:

Eastern-european white.

Oh, one of 'those', eh? ;)
    And pure breed, for better or worse. :)
    Balrog99
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Dad's side pretty much all English (south) and Mom's side definitely all Scottish (western isles and the upper midlands) from tracing back all the ancestors I could, down to the specific regions of Britain. Mom took us to more than one Highland Games gathering here at Grandfather Mountain when I was a teenager. Still have two kilts (one I can wear as I got it years later). One of my grandfathers on my dad's side was named Etheldred in the 1700's in the Carolina region which was very unusual I thought, but apparently not for men in that area at the time. DNA results show a bit of Swedish in there as well but was not able to track that far back by person like the others. B)
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrBalrog99
    This forum has some interesting extra races on it. I'm afraid I didn't have room to add options for the various molds, mushrooms, and mind flayers of the forum.
    ThacoBellBalrog99Aedan
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    In Italy they call my kind "Terroni", means from south Italy. Purebred, mother and father.
    Aedan
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited December 2018
    I believe non-hispanic white is caucasian, no?
    O_Bruce said:

I'm white European. The most evil thing there is, according to social media

Cheer up, I'm Russian. Pretty sure that's even worse :D
    ThacoBellSilverstarArtona
    Ardanis said:

I believe non-hispanic white is caucasian, no?

O_Bruce said:

I'm white European. The most evil thing there is, according to social media

Cheer up, I'm Russian. Pretty sure that's even worse :D
    On the positive side, I'll bet you're great at chess!
    ThacoBell
    Non-malicious stereotypes are fun :)
    Balrog99ArtonaStummvonBordwehr
    ThacoBell said:

Sure. With Poles and Russians having better tolerance for alcohol, I think Ardanis and I could be a drink buddies.
    Balrog99SilverstarThacoBell
    O_Bruce said:

ThacoBell said:

Sure. With Poles and Russians having better tolerance for alcohol, I think Ardanis and I could be a drink buddies.
    Don't leave out we Irish. We may not hold our alcohol well but we're really fun!
    O_BruceSilverstarThacoBell
    I've enver been drunk, so no idea how that would turn out. Though I am Scottish...
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited December 2018
    You know that Wierd Al Yankovic song "White and Nerdy".

"I'm whiter than sour cream".

And Picard.

Ethnically, I know my grandfathers were Polish and Swedish. Not sure about my grandmothers.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2018
    Dutch Indonesian.

Mix race ftw!

I have also other roots around Asia as well as England and France.
    Balrog99 said:

ThacoBell said:

I've enver been drunk, so no idea how that would turn out. Though I am Scottish...

Are you SURE you've 'enver' been drunk? ;)
    The best part about this is that I had already fixed a different typo in that comment before posting.
    Balrog99semiticgoddessSilverstar
    I like that so many of these posts are just white people making fun of each other.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
    edited December 2018
    There's a lot of diversity and stereotypes even among just the 'white' race. You've got the stuffy, uptight Brits, the laid back but always drunk Irish, the stoic and arrogant Germans, the emotional, always talking with their hands Italians and Greeks (and the gangster Sicilians), the cold, calculating Russians, the naked sauna loving Finlanders who also ride reindeer, the rude but romantic Frenchies, the passionate Spaniards, and the fun-loving Aussies just to name a few...

Edit: Wow, can't believe I forgot the beautiful blonde-haired, blue-eyed Swedes!
    semiticgoddessThacoBell