Skip to content

Custom PC & NPC Portraits

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Isandir
    Gorgeous! I am so happy to see another masterpiece drawn by you :)
    JuliusBorisovIsandirFina92
  • JimstromJimstrom Member Posts: 98
    @Isandir This one is nearly perfect, some more work on the cape and i would be convinced it actually was an official portrait.
    Isandir
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    I cannot see anything wrong with the cape. :)
    Isandir
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Isandir , I love that picture, and it's perfect for both my paladins and my clerics of Lathander. So, I downloaded it, but now I've got a strange tech problem. The game reads my converted image for the large portrait on the character sheet, but will not read it for the small image on the game interface. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here? I've got it converted to .bmp and resized to 206x328. Why would the game read it for the large version but not the small version? (Using Steam version with all the latest updates.)
    Isandir
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    @BelgarathMTH I don't know if this will solve your problem, but the usual portrait size is 210x330 (see here).

You can also try to rename the file as the Enhanced Edition seems very finicky in how it handles filename. Even if you no longer need the trailing M/L, from my experience it's better to keep it. And the name should have a maximum of 8 characters (including the M/L).
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    @lefreut , Thanks, but it still doesn't work. All I can figure is that the problem might be because the image was uploaded here as a web link instead of as a .jpeg, and the way I'm converting it to .bmp in paint.net is causing a problem. The dimensions of the file I'm creating are fine, and I'm not having this problem with any other custom portraits.

Interestingly, the game is only reading the large version of the portrait when I end the file name with "L". If I end it in anything else, the game doesn't read it either in large or small versions. When I end the file name with "L", the game reads it as a large portrait, but doesn't convert it to the small version.

I guess I can't use the portrait. Bummer.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Don't you need an "M" or "S" file trailing for that?
    lroumen said:

Don't you need an "M" or "S" file trailing for that?

Not in the Steam version of the EE.
    edited December 2018
    Okay, I didn't give up, and I finally figured it out. The devil was in the file naming. You can name the file anything you want, but you cannot use any capital letters. All the letters in the file name must be lower case. So, I'm glad I got it working, because it's a beautiful portrait. Now I need to learn how to make a NWN portrait so I can use it in my NWN game.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    lroumenlefreutProontAerakar
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458

Okay, I didn't give up, and I finally figured it out. The devil was in the file naming. You can name the file anything you want, but you cannot use any capital letters. All the letters in the file name must be lower case. So, I'm glad I got it working, because it's a beautiful portrait. Now I need to learn how to make a NWN portrait so I can use it in my NWN game.

I always forget how finicky the file formats can be in the forum. I've also edited the post to include the bitmaps--even though the game still uses the hideous resizing tool that causes pixelation rather than allowing all three actual sizes to be implemented. These ones should work regardless of capitalization.
    ProontBelgarathMTH
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    On the M portrait not showing up if you use a different sized photo for the sidebar photo, I read elsewhere that 7 letters is the max for it to be consistently read, instead of 8 letters. I have changed 8 letters to 7 letters for both the L and M and now the M shows up every time.

Talk about finicky! Worst than my 17 year old cat...

In the Gog version of the game, that doesn't apply. You just need three versions, one with L, one with M and one with S suffixes. (That is if you want different portraits for the large and small images.) That is what I prefer, though it does limit the number of portraits available.

As per this screenshot:

Blackraven
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Isandir you've done it again! That halfling looks, funnily enough, identical to the mental image I had for a halfling I'm planning on playing in a 5E campaign of D&D soon. hahaha It's almost eerie how accurate it looks.
    IsandirAerakarlolien
    @Isandir , @Elrandir how do I get the wonderful halfling image to a bmp format? It saves as a webpage and as a former luddite I am struggling (blushes)?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    epic!
    Isandir
    Aerakar said:

@Isandir , @Elrandir how do I get the wonderful halfling image to a bmp format? It saves as a webpage and as a former luddite I am struggling (blushes)?

Just so that you know for the future:

1) Right click on the png file or any other format such as jpeg etc.

2) Open with Paint.

3) SaveAs Bitmap.

Done!!

Note where the file is being saved to so that you can find it later!!
    Thanks @Wise_Grimwald , but that one halfling pic is a webp file and not png, jpeg, etc.
    edited January 2019
    @Aerakar, right click the picture you want and click "copy image". That saves the image to your clipboard. Then, open paint or paint.net. Click "edit>paste". That will bring up the image in your image utility. Then you can "save as" .bmp .

(Note: Be sure to click "copy image" NOT "save image as".
    lolien
    Thanks @BelgarathMTH for the tutorial, got it.
    BelgarathMTH
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited January 2019
    @Isandir
    WOW! Now I have two amazing portraits for both BGEE and BG2EE!
    And the ruffles... I just love them <3
    Thank you! Thank you so much!
    I am really happy that you used the free time you had giving us new portraits. I definitely love your works and just adore the fact that you add new portraits on your portfolio.
    Post edited by Aedan on
    IsandirThacoBellVasculiololien
    Aerakar said:

Thanks @Wise_Grimwald , but that one halfling pic is a webp file and not png, jpeg, etc.

Strange. When I right clicked on it and did a save as, it saved as a png and then after opening it in paint I was able to save it as a bmp.
    @Wise_Grimwald , not sure why. Perhaps a Windows 10 think (I am new to it) or could be a security feature on my computer .
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    edited January 2019
    Isandir said:

Rather than continue through the Cloakwood Mines, I spent the day on something else instead. Here's Baeloth's portrait for the second game. I stuck to the style of the existing portraits rather than basing it on actual drow skin tones, so feel free to darken him a bit if you prefer that.

It's once again based it on one of Mark Meer's fabulous cosplay photos.

EDIT: I suddenly had a thought...is Baeloth even available in BG2? If not, enjoy a fabulous new drow mage/rogue for your PC!

Yes! See! Baeloth needs to be in Baldur's Gate 2 SoA/ToB

AstafasMirandelGusindalolien
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Isandir said:

One more! I was reading about the BG2 EE characters and saw that Hexxat had both a cloak and amulet. I was not completely happy with my first take on her portrait anyway since it didn't fully capture the look of the originals, so it was time for a remaster. This one blends in a bit better in-game and matches the lore (though I couldn't fully get the amulet design given how complex it is). The only minor point I'm still not happy with is the necklace, but then I look at Anomen's and remind myself that simpler is better with this style.

On a side note, it's an absolute pain trying to get the brightness and contrast right when making these versus seeing them in the game! Using the vanilla images for comparison is great...until I actually load the portrait in and realize it's far too light. I'll probably go back and redo a few to make sure they blend in well when actually being used.

Old and new, side by side:

I do hope you come back later to do more! I'm really like your Baeloth portait for BG1 and BG2. Just amazing!
    AerakarWise_GrimwaldIsandir