Skip to content

Custom PC & NPC Portraits

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Those are amazing! Is that the artist who makes Dungeon Meshi or just someone who has nailed their style? Either way, both as a fan of complete BG portrait packs, and as a *HUGE* fan of Dungeon Meshi, I've got to use these!
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHAerakarFlashburn
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i also like them a lot.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @coffin_nailer , I was just spending a few minutes to admire all the artwork, and I noticed that Quayle, Yeslick, and Kagain are missing from the BG1 portraits. Did the artist not do one for those three characters?

Otherwise, I think they're very masterfully done. The artist captures the characters' personalities in their posture and expressions very well.
    ThacoBellgorgonzolaAerakarProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Those are very well done. But Mazzy's hair color is wrong.
  • coffin_nailercoffin_nailer Member Posts: 16
    @Elrandir I think it actually might be the same artist that draws the manga. There was other art on the tumblr that's now deleted of body shapes for female dwarves and gnomes that was very similar to art Ryoko Kui had released in her art book. Kind of regret not saving it now.

@BelgarathMTH When she posted the portraits for BG1 she wrote ½ in the description. I'm guessing that means there will be a second post later with the ones missing and the companions from SoD.
    Elrandir
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @coffin_nailer , I was just spending a few minutes to admire all the artwork, and I noticed that Quayle, Yeslick, and Kagain are missing from the BG1 portraits. Did the artist not do one for those three characters?

Don't forget Faldorn and Wilson!

But yeah, these do look pretty cool! Obviously, they need to be used as a set, which means that the few missing avatars are pretty jarring. It would also be quite jarring to use this in combination with the portraits mod...
  • SinaheribSinaherib Member Posts: 38
    Wow, it is really great! Looks like I get another reason to replay BG, this time in anime/manga style :smiley:

I wonder if the artist will make the portraits of non-playable characters, such as Irenicus, Bodhi and others. But anyway, it is amazing set.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited April 2019
    Am I the only one that doesn't like the style. Yes the artist is skilful, but I just prefer the original portraits and the ones that I make myself that are more realistic.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    gorgonzolaAedanVasculio
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Am I the only one that doesn't like the style.

You are not alone, my friend! Same here - I do prefer the original portraits and style :)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Am I the only one that doesn't like the style. Yes the artist is skilful, buyt I just prefer the original portraits and the ones that I make myself that are more realistic.

I can't say I don't like the style, because they did give me a giggle when I first saw them. But I'd never actually use them.
    Does anyone know of any portraits for the Flumph race? Not having a lot of luck myself.
    Proontlolien
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @AionZ nice portrait! How did you make it?

I'm struggling with portrait myself. I'm making a duergar NPC for SoD and had no success so far finding a proper portrait to ask permission for the artist.

BG2 has a duergar portrait, but it didn't touch my heart. I'm using it while I don't solve this matter, though.

And as someone with a baby-daughter, I can't pay for an artist to make a portrait - what I otherwise would gladly do.

The search continues.
    ThacoBell
    @AionZ That's fantastic! Apparently I need to develop some PS skill. Do you have a tutorial or something?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited April 2019
    @coffin_nailer If you can, pass to the artist that is a very, very nice set of portraits. Probably what I like the most is how BG1 characters are changed in their BG2 versions, looking older. Just look at Imoen for example. And that it should be Baeloth, not Bealoth.
    lolien
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited April 2019
    @Raduziel there is plenty of tutorials on you tube, maybe not to baldurize photos, but to learn to use the tools that make possible to baldurize. photoshop is a really versatile program and mastering it give the freedom to create almost everything, with photo realistic effect or creating the illusion that a painting technique is used, starting from a photo or using many photo sources.
    the gimp is less versatile, but can also be used, and has the advantage that you don't have to pay for it.
    as in many other fields what really matter is the ability of the operator, not the tool.
    i post a video i recently found on you tube, that is not about photo editing, but show how the ability of the operator can lead to surprising results even using very basic tools.

go straight to min 11:27 to see the the result.
    Raduziel
    @coffin_nailer If you can, pass to the artist that is a very, very nice set of portraits. Probably what I like the most is how BG1 characters are changed in their BG2 versions, looking older. Just look at Imoen for example. And that it should be Baeloth, not Bealoth.

I disagree.

The time between both games is very short for someone be able to age significantly enough to be noticed in a portrait.

Imoen doesn't look older. She looks broken. And that is, indeed, an awesome detail considering that she was being tortured by Irenicus before Charname awakes.
    gorgonzolaWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Raduziel wrote: »
    @AionZ That's fantastic! Apparently I need to develop some PS skill. Do you have a tutorial or something?

You could start with this as it is free. Once you have the basics, you can then decide whether or not to use tutorials that you have to pay for.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/tutorials.html
    Raduziel
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Big props for a covered-up Viconia that remains very alluring!
    lolienSharGuidesMyHand
    A covered up Viconia?! Have I stumbled into a parallel universe?
    bleusteelProontGloomfrost
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    With all the respect for the original artist, but these look like default mmo characters dressed up as Baldurs Gate NPCs.
    Raduziellolien
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    bleusteel wrote: »
    Big props for a covered-up Viconia that remains very alluring!

Plus actually looks like a drow cleric (rather than a blue- or purple-skinned mage).
    bleusteelgorgonzolaThacoBellProont
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Darnit... Baldur's Gate 5th edition campaign has the Zhents as the main enemy. That shoots down my chances of recruiting Xzar
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Does anyone know, if there's somewhere a "normal skin tone - darker hair" version of this PoE portrait?
    Or just could someone make that happen? Thanks in advance!

7997z5n6a74o.png