Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2019
    There are four characters named "Zizi the Lovebundle" in the Undercellar. Is this intentional? They're all unresponsive.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Imanel Silversword at Wyrm's Crossing has a Winter Wolf companion. If Kivan is not in the party, you can pickpocket the Winter Wolf and steal his pelt. A little odd to say the least. Would it be possible/easy to make that pelt not pickpocketable?
  • bon003bon003 Member Posts: 27
    When full version v24 is relase
    i have bugs in cloackwood when i play 23.3 npc project in my Baldurs Gate EE 2.5, the last location does not show up on the map
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    bon003 said:

i have bugs in cloackwood when i play 23.3 npc project in my Baldurs Gate EE 2.5, the last location does not show up on the map

That's been a known issue for months, and is probably the primary v 23 bug. If you're playing on 2.5, either install the beta or don't install the Cloakwood parts of the mod.
  • bon003bon003 Member Posts: 27
    thx for fast answer
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    Thels said:

Imanel Silversword at Wyrm's Crossing has a Winter Wolf companion. If Kivan is not in the party, you can pickpocket the Winter Wolf and steal his pelt. A little odd to say the least. Would it be possible/easy to make that pelt not pickpocketable?

Hardly important. It's almost as if you went looking for bugs. It doesn't happen in what I would describe as "Normal" play.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Hey - imagine the situation, you tapping the wolf's pelt for a hidden gem or something and suddenly you have the whole fur in your hand.
    Talk about wolf in sheep's clothing!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Thels said:

We couldn't afford real winter wolves for the quest. Liability insurance for the animal handlers was *way* too expensive after the previous one lost limbs to frostbite and wolf bites. We had to use hedgehogs in faux wolf pelts. I'll check with Biff about making sure the pelts don't come off mid-quest.

:mrgreen:

Ok - seriously, I'll check it out. I've got a fix for the Tranzig issue on GitHub and I'm working through the other bug reports. Thanks @TheIs!
    edited January 2019
    bon003 said:

Depends on how many bug reports I get. I'm working on the latest reports here and at G3. As soon I as get those sorted, I'll roll out an updated beta.

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/issues

Thels said:

Hardly important. It's almost as if you went looking for bugs. It doesn't happen in what I would describe as "Normal" play.
    I'm actually building a list of "What can be pickpocketed?" and so I'm basically pickpocketing everyone on the sword coast that is not already hostile, and doesn't force a dialogue on reveal that always results in them turning hostile. (Technically, you could still pickpocket the latter with a stealthed rogue, but since they go hostile immediately after and never cause a reputation loss, what's the point?)

But yeah, some of my reports are a bit nitpicky. I'll leave it up to @AstroBryGuy to determine if it's worth fixing or not.

The only serious issue was the one with Branwen, which definitely needs fixing.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

Thels said:

We couldn't afford real winter wolves for the quest. Liability insurance for the animal handlers was *way* too expensive after the previous one lost limbs to frostbite and wolf bites. We had to use hedgehogs in faux wolf pelts. I'll check with Biff about making sure the pelts don't come off mid-quest.

:mrgreen:

Ok - seriously, I'll check it out. I've got a fix for the Tranzig issue on GitHub and I'm working through the other bug reports. Thanks @TheIs!
    While it may be overkill for a one-off, Fixpack has a cd_no_pickpocket macro that moves the specified item to a safe, non-pickpocketable slot.
    edited January 2019
    In the Blade and Stars Inn, Alvo, Leti, Mati and Zed all carry a double set of gear. Every one of them carries four weapons and two pieces of armor (and Mati carries an extra Quarterstaff on top of that, but I think that's fine).

This also means they can easily be pickpocketed for one set of their gear (4 battle axes, 2 bastard swords, 2 katanas, 2 leather armors, 2 chain mails and a quarterstaff), without the need to go and kill them. Most notably would be the Katanas. In the Enhanced Edition, you've had the chance to run into a couple Katanas by then, including a Katana +1 in the Cloakwood Mines. Tweaks only dropped 2 Katanas up to that point, one of which is cursed. Especially without EE, suddenly getting 2 Katanas from pickpocketing a random NPC would be a bit cheap.

Also, their boss Karris (who does not have duplicate gear) drops a Longsword +1 and a Leather Armor +2, both of which are already identified. Normally, magical gear would need to be identified first. Also, it would be the only piece of Armor in the game that is enchanted with a +2 bonus, but doesn't have a unique name. All the other items from the NPC Project share their name with the vanilla EE item. In this case, that would be the Protector of the Second, which is dropped by Maneira, one of Lamalha's lackeys at the Valley of the Tomb.

Why people would bother to enchant leather armor is beyond me. Even Karajah's Life and Death, which is a +3 leather armor found inside Durlag's Tower, is statistically worse than a nonmagical Studded Leather against slashing, piercing and missile, and only slightly better against crushing. Now, a +4 leather armor I would consider wearing over a nonmagical studded leather. It's only slightly worse against slashing, equally effective against piercing and missile, and quite a bit better against crushing.

On the matter of these NPCs, Karris Dialogue is rather weird.

Choose "We've discovered the whereabouts of the gnome you've been hunting. In exchange for a little gold on the side, we can tell you where he is. And in exchange for a little more gold, you will find only a body."

Karris will explain that you misunderstood, and that they want him alive. If you want to tell them where he is, the option is "Ahh, well... perhaps he is not worth protecting after all. I lied. I know the whereabouts of Belgin."

But you had not been lying to Karris up to that point, nor did you indicate to Karris that you'd be protecting Belgin in any way.

Anyhow, Karris offers 1500 gold for his location. You can then choose "We could always remove the problem for you, for perhaps 2000 gold? The Guid would charge far more..." when then cycles back to perhaps you misunderstood.

I know lots of dialogue circles around, but in this case, it just doesn't feel right. Is this how the dialogue has always flowed? Because it almost feels like some replies lead to incorrect dialogue states.

Here's another dialogue that just doesn't seem to fit well. "You will find him there." Find whom where?

In fact, the whole questline seems to have rather buggy dialogue.

Post edited by Thels on
    edited January 2019
    @TheIs - Thanks for the feedback.

* I'll fix the duplicate item issue and identified magic items.
    * Karris' armor is a vanilla item in BGEE (from BG2), LEAT11.itm. It is used in the Black Pits and SoD. Also, BG1NPC has a history of using BG2 items (since it was designed for Tutu/BGT, which include BG2 resources). It would make no sense to use LEAT03 since the description specifically mentions that armor being owned by Indeera Lakhan.
    * The dialogs for Tiax's quest are untouched since I inherited the project.

On the subject of enchanting leather armor - In PnP rules, studded leather has penalties to thieving abilities, so enchanted non-studded leather is very useful for thieves, despite the lesser protection. The BG games did away with those penalties for studded leather (and only applied studded leather's penalties to hide armor, which in PnP gives massive penalties to thief abilities). So, yes, in the BG/IWD games, leather is much less useful than studded leather.
    edited January 2019
    Glad to be of service.

Honestly, I like the more neutral "Leather Armor +2" over duplicating a specific name. I mentioned it because other items from the BG1 NPC Project (most notably Arla's Dragonbane and Krotan's Skullcrusher that can be created by Dynaheir during her romance, but also Heart of the Golem and Protector of the Dryads that drop from Natan in Coran's quest) are copies of items with unique names. In a perfect world, all of them would have either neutral names or unique names of their own. I assume that most of them got their unique name in EE only, but then again, Maneira's armor name wasn't unique until EE either.

Tiax' quest overall felt rather buggy. For example, if you just tell the gnome to bugger off, Karris' dialogue plays out the exact same as when you helped him. However, I totally understand that you'd rather not mess with a mod that has been content-locked over a decade ago.

On a sidenote, I got to the Romance Challenge again, and this time the Silver Dragon had a working sprite! Looked a tad gloomy, but it worked. Tiny nitpick: The Red Dragon from Coran's encounter drops a skull with the following description: "This appears to be the skull of a human." I think you need both Auto-Pause and the Quickloot bar to manage to loot this in time, so I wouldn't worry about this one.

Is the "Send NPCs to an Inn" component permanently gone? Tweaks inherited the SCS variant of this component, not the NPC Project variant. Unfortunately, the SCS variant has a lot less character to it. It allows sending any NPC, including Faldorn and Viconia, to any of the following four inns that you have discovered: Friendly Arm, Jovial Juggler, Nashkel Inn, Elfsong. The component that was part of the BG1 NPC Project, while less convenient (not all NPCs going to the same inn, some NPCs not going to an inn at all), definitely had a lot more character to it!

And yeah, I figured it was something like that. Despite having played 2nd edition for nearly a decade, my group switched to 3rd shortly after release, so my memory of 2nd edition P&P rules is a bit hazy.
    Forgot to mention earlier, but Belgin also drops several magical items, which also come pre-identified.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    There are quite a lot of those around particularly in mods. :(
  • Going through these 25 pages, there's a lot of good stuff.

BUT, is there anywhere a compilation of BGEE compatible NPCs for one stop shopping? I have Gavin and Isra already but can't seem to find anything EE compatible for Indira, Tenya, etc. It would be cool to know just what is available.

I've been playing a long time but I'm a novice at keeping up with what's new. Thanks.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited January 2019
    @CharlestonianTemplar Here is the main list on this site to help keep you up to date.

BG EE 2.0 and Siege of Dragonspear Compatible Mods
    And a few older NPCs that are not yet on that newest list:
    BG EE Mods and modding tutorials quick links

Going through these 25 pages, there's a lot of good stuff.

BUT, is there anywhere a compilation of BGEE compatible NPCs for one stop shopping? I have Gavin and Isra already but can't seem to find anything EE compatible for Indira, Tenya, etc. It would be cool to know just what is available.

I've been playing a long time but I'm a novice at keeping up with what's new. Thanks.

The NPC Project focuses on the vanilla NPCs (from the original game, not EE), and breathes more life into them with expanded dialogue, banters, player initiated dialogues, character related quests, flirts, romances and romance conflicts. It doesn't add new NPCs.

If you want more NPCs, follow Zaghoul's advice.
  • Zaghoul said:

@CharlestonianTemplar Here is the main list on this site to help keep you up to date.

BG EE 2.0 and Siege of Dragonspear Compatible Mods
    And a few older NPCs that are not yet on that newest list:
    BG EE Mods and modding tutorials quick links

Thanks brother.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited January 2019
    Please investigate whether Tiax's quest should be fixed and if dialogues are uncoherent.

If you don't want to mess with it, please add a // so the related content doesn't get installed.
    What? No!

Sure, the dialogue is a bit wonky, but the quest as a whole works without any gamebreaking bugs.

There's no need to disable the quest.
    Found another glitch, I think. The button to activate Mirror: Lover's Eyes is labeled "I have a passing knowledge of magery. Can you not dispel this, ahem, foul condition?" at least on my installation.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    Thels said:

Found another glitch, I think. The button to activate Mirror: Lover's Eyes is labeled "I have a passing knowledge of magery. Can you not dispel this, ahem, foul condition?" at least on my installation.

Did you started new game or use savegame from previous installation?
    edited January 2019
    @ALIEN I always leave a fresh, untouched installation of the game sitting in my SteamLibrary folder. Whenever I start a new playthrough, I copy the untouched installation elsewhere on my harddrive, and mod and play in that copy only. I don't mod the installation during a playthrough, only before.

I didn't have any other string errors, so I don't think it's a borked installation. However, I can quickly make another copy of the game, to see if that's the problem.

EDIT: Copied a fresh installation, installed modmerge, installed bg1npc, started a new game, spawned in the item. The button is still called "I have a passing knowledge of magery. Can you not dispel this, ahem, foul condition?".

It is only the button that has a wrong label. The dialogues seem to work just fine. Could this be one of those hardcoded strings, like it was the case for Brielbara's Potion Case before?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    edited January 2019
    @Thels Now I'm sure it's some kind of wrong string assignment bug, not you.

You have very good approach to correct modding, good job. Tip: you can manipulate engine.ini file in order to have multiple games with multiple save folders, each for one copy of the game :smile:
    Thels said:

Got it. Fix is posted to GitHub. Will be in the next update.
    edited January 2019
    ALIEN said:

@Thels Now I'm sure it's some kind of wrong string assignment bug, not you.

You have very good approach to correct modding, good job. Tip: you can manipulate engine.ini file in order to have multiple games with multiple save folders, each for one copy of the game :smile:

Yeah, I know that trick. I guess I could have used that to not duplicate the automatic "new game" save. But since I use the Tweak that auto-indents my saves in my normal game, it didn't overwrite.

I tend not to run more than one playthrough at a time, though. So I generally don't need that trick.

Got it. Fix is posted to GitHub. Will be in the next update.

Cheers!

I've found another issue, but I'm not sure if it should be labeled as a bug. I found Ajantis' romance to be stuck. The problem I think is with Douglas. X#AjantisHasRing is set to 1.

AJANTIS.BCS sets X#AjantisHasRing to 1 when it spawns Douglas. Douglas' Dialogue then sets it to 2. Since I found it stuck at 1, I must've missed Douglas spawning. Quite likely he spawned, but I wandered in a different direction and left the map?

Using CLUA to spawn X#AJDOUG caused the romance to continue properly.

Not sure if this warrants attention. If you don't accidentally avoid Douglas, all should be well. But if you do, the romance gets stuck when it's unclear what you did wrong.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    edited January 2019
    @AstroBryGuy The messenger is spawned using CreateCreatureObjectOffScreen - maybe we could change this to something "closer" to Ajantis, since it's also not announed in any way (e.g. by Ajantis telling that there is someone) this can be easily missed, indeed.
    x#ajrom.baf:
    /* messenger, appears in city areas. (LT 32) */
    IF %BGT_VAR%
    InParty(Myself)
    RealGlobalTimerExpired("X#AjantisRomance","GLOBAL")
    !Global("X#AjantisRomanceActive","GLOBAL",3)
    !Global("X#AjantisCoranChallenge","GLOBAL",1)
    Global("X#AjantisKnowBhaalTalk","GLOBAL",0)
    Global("P#KnowBhaal","GLOBAL",0)
    !Detect([ENEMY])
    See(Player1)
    ReputationGT(Player1,15)
    !StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    CombatCounter(0)
    Global("X#AjantisLoveTalk","GLOBAL",31)
    AreaType(OUTDOOR)
    !HasItemEquiped("%tutu_var%BELT05",Player1) //girdle of gender bender
    !HasItemEquiped("%tutu_var%HELM02",Player1) //helmet of alignment change
    !HasItemEquiped("%tutu_var%BELT05",Myself) //girdle of gender bender
    !HasItemEquiped("%tutu_var%HELM02",Myself) //helmet of alignment change
    OR(14)
    AreaCheck("%NWBaldursGate%") //North-Western District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%NBaldursGate%") //Northern District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%NEBaldursGate%") //North-Eastern District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%WBaldursGate%") //Western District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%CentralBaldursGate%") //Center District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%EBaldursGate%") //Eastern District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%UlgothsBeard%") //Village of Ulgoth's Beard
    AreaCheck("%SWBaldursGate%") //South-Western District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%BaldursGateDocks%") //Southern District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%SEBaldursGate%") //South-East District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%FriendlyArmInn%") //Friendly Arm Inn
    AreaCheck("%Beregost%") //Beregost
    AreaCheck("%Nashkel%") //Nashkell
    AreaCheck("%NashkelCarnival%") //Carnival
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    IncrementGlobal("X#AjantisLoveTalk","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("X#AjantisHasRing","GLOBAL",1)
    CreateCreatureObjectOffScreen("X#AJDOUG",Myself,0,0,0) //Douglas
    END

@Thels Thank you for the heads up!
    You're welcome @jastey

Found the tiniest of issues. If you talk to Pheirkas while Ajantis is in the party, Ajantis will say:

Committing a crime by stealing! I can't believe this scum is asking passers-by to do his abominable deeds for him!

But Pheirkas is female.