Skip to content

Why is there still no option to disable the map zoom effect in BGEE?

The issue was raised like a year ago by many others, as well as myself. How long can it possibly take to add in the option to BGEE to disable this nausea inducing feature when it apparently already exists in PST? It's extremely frustrating because not only does it make playing BGEE really undesirable these days, but I bought Siege a long time ago before I knew the map change existed, and I still haven't been able to play it because you guys won't take 30 seconds to add in a check box.

The map zoom transition is a perfect illustration of INT vs. WIS - making change to the base game because it can be done, without anyone ever considering whether or not it should.

Please get the fix into the next patch. I don't want to have to wait another year only to find that the games I bought are still tedious to play due to one extremely annoying, yet extremely solvable problem.

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    what exactly is the issue? Can't you just not scroll your mouse wheel?
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

They're talking about the map. Originally if you pulled up the map it was like going into your inventory. Just pulled up the window with no transition. Brandon changed it a few years ago so when you pull up the map you sort of zoom out until the world becomes the map. Some people find the effect induces motion sickness.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Not to mention it causes slowdowns and crashes on lower end graphics cards that can run the games just fine otherwise.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882

They're talking about the map. Originally if you pulled up the map it was like going into your inventory. Just pulled up the window with no transition. Brandon changed it a few years ago so when you pull up the map you sort of zoom out until the world becomes the map. Some people find the effect induces motion sickness.
    oh right lol

1.3 ftw
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671

Thank you for the explanation I didn't get that, too. (Just for the record, I love this zooming out into the overal map. But I do agree that if it's technically not too hard to change, giving the player the choice would be cool.)

I also would like to state that the first post sounds very angry and not very friendly. As much as I understand the disgruntlement I'd rather see it phrased less offensive. (I love that avatar picture, though. Such a cute little knight and then so angry! :D )
  • iamrojoiamrojo Member Posts: 5
    In my defense I asked nicely the first couple times. So yeah, I'm a bit annoyed to see the request ignored for about a year when the solution is probably trivial to implement, has already been implemented in another game, and I'm not the only one asking. Eventually you have to take the kid gloves off and express your frustration, which I think I did in a reasonable and fair manner.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Out of curiosity, since it was your first post here - where did you ask a year back? Did you file a ticket at support.baldursgate.com or is there a place for these kind of important questions I am not aware of (I guess there are several)?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    This is a known issue and will be fixed. I'm trying to get information on whether it's a part of the 2.6 patch.
    edited January 2019
    I contacted them on Twitter and again months later via support, and was given the ol' "thanks for getting in touch, we'll look into it." A bug ticket for the issue that's been acknowledged by the developers has existed for a year now. Either way unless someone from Beamdog wants give a definitive update on when this issue will be fixed (even if the answer is 'never'), or someone knows of a mod that can finally fix the issue, there's not anything else to discuss here.

Edit: Glad to see the update from Beamdog that was posted as I typed this out.
    Post edited by iamrojo on
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Just chiming in to say that I too have a preference for the originals’ behavior here (FWIW.)
    @JuliusBorisov Were you able to figure out if the fix will be in 2.6, or if not, which future patch it will be part of?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Great news!
    Glad to hear it.  I appreciate the update.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    Very nice! I also appreciate the this feature!
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Was another button to zoom in and out added rather than having to use mouse wheel? I don't have one.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Check Options - Gameplay - Assign Keys. The standard are
    =
    -
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Thanks a lot @JuliusBorisov