Skip to content

State of play at SHS and G3 (or any other mod hosters)

Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
edited January 2019 in BG:EE Mods
Both Spellhold Studios and Gibberlings Three are up and running again. :)

However due to the fact that they go down fairly often, I was wondering if it might be a good idea to have a sticky,

(This thread if you like) telling people what the state of play is and when the problem is likely to be resolved.

Lack of communication appears to be the biggest problem.

We appreciate what they do and understand that there will always be problems.

That's life. :'(

However, if communication could be made concerning the problems, I am sure that we would all be a lot happier.

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I think this is a good idea. @JuliusBorisov, what do you think?
    JuliusBorisov
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    Sorry for highjacking this thread but I just want to note that having 30 stickies at the top of every forum kind of negates the use of having stickies in the first place. (Beamdog forums are especially bad in this regard.)

More on topic: Now that G3 has migrated servers it should be a lot more stable than before.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited January 2019
    Good to hear. :)

I suppose Thread necromancy would work just as well. That would save having countless threads on the same topic.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    I agree with Ulb. Fortunately, though, people have the option to personally remove the announcement mark from posts, so once you've read the announcement, you can remove it from being stuck at the top.

But yeah, G3 should have a lot less issues now that they moved to a different server. You said that SHS and G3 are up again, but I think only SHS was down at this instance.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Ulb said:
    More on topic: Now that G3 has migrated servers it should be a lot more stable than before.
    G3 completed our migration to our new cloud host in December and were not affected by SHS' recent downtime--which was the goal of the hosting change.
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Sorry, where do you see 30 stickies?

What is especially bad?
    Aedan
    Thels said:
    I agree with Ulb. Fortunately, though, people have the option to personally remove the announcement mark from posts, so once you've read the announcement, you can remove it from being stuck at the top.

But yeah, G3 should have a lot less issues now that they moved to a different server. You said that SHS and G3 are up again, but I think only SHS was down at this instance.
    I thought that G3 was down as well because none of the links worked.
    Clearly they are just broken threads, but the web is littered with them. :(
    Yeah, along with the server transfer, they also updated the website itself, giving it a more modern look. I like it, but unfortunately, the URLs of the links have now changed.

I thought CamDawg said he was working on something that would eventually catch and redirect the links?
    Wise_Grimwald
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Thels said:
    Yeah, along with the server transfer, they also updated the website itself, giving it a more modern look. I like it, but unfortunately, the URLs of the links have now changed.

I thought CamDawg said he was working on something that would eventually catch and redirect the links?
    Redirects are up for the mod pages. We're still waiting on support for forum links.
    Sorry, where do you see 30 stickies?

What is especially bad?

I have to page-down twice to get past the stickied threads in the General Modding forum.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There were 22 announcements there, not 30. Now I've decreased that number to 15.
    Aedan
    edited January 2019
    Additionally, @JuliusBorisov could you make the "Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available." global announcement into something that can be clicked away?

I'm here for the IE games, not NWN, and I doubt I'm alone.

Being able to click "Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!" away would be nice as well, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to enable that.

Thels said:
    Additionally, @JuliusBorisov could you make the "Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available." global announcement into something that can be clicked away?

I'm here for the IE games, not NWN, and I doubt I'm alone.

Being able to click "Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!" away would be nice as well, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to enable that.

No, this is not possible, sorry. The forum is for both NWN and IE games. The game announcement will change, though, in the future.
    edited January 2019
    @JuliusBorisov "Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store." can be clicked away, so technically it should be possible?

Also, 15 is still an insane amount of announcements! Is it really necessary that some mods (SCS, AionZ's pack, Laval's pack) get their own announcement?

4 is kinda the upper limit of announcements you can have and still have them be considered announcements. Anything above that, and it's become screen clutter instead.

But as I said, I don't care about those myself, as you can simply personally remove the announcement tags from those posts.
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    There were 22 announcements there, not 30. Now I've decreased that number to 15.

Apologies if I didn't make it clear enough that I was talking hyperbole. ;)
    In any case, nice to see the clutter toned down a bit.
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
    Whilst I too like the new G3 site, I do wish that the various contributers had been consistant in the order in which they placed the Linux OSX and Windows files. Alphabetical or reverse alphabetical would both be OK. i.e. Linux, OSX, Windows or Windows OSX Linux.

A little thing, but little things like that matter, particularly if you are looking for a lot of mods.