Skip to content

Odd moments/bugs with some BG1/2 (EE) clerical spells

1) In the description of priest's spell 'Sanctuary' sayed: '... While protected by this spell, the subject cannot take direct offensive action without breaking the spell, but may use non-attack spells or otherwise act in any way that does not violate the prohibition against offensive action...'  But at the same time, the use of the following spells cancels 'Sanctuary' spell:

- Chant, Free Action, True Seeing, Blade Barrier, Greater Restoration*.

None of the spells listed above is a 'direct offensive action'.

*But 'Lesser Restoration' isn't canceled effect of the 'Sanctuary'. 

2) The visual effect of the spell 'Physical Mirror' remains on the character permanently (rest or reloading game does nothing). Although defencive effect of this spells ends as expected.

Comments

• kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
    Bugs with clerical spells?

I guess we could call this a clerical error.
    This is probably a very fun joke, but I can't appreciate it (I am not native speaker and weak in english languague). 

Howerver I think that this section of the forum created for constructive discussion and detection (followed by removal) of bugs in EE-games. In this regard, if you have nothing to say on the merits, please do not litter the topic.

P.S. Hopefully, this time my thought was expressed more correctly (again, with considerable help of Google translate).
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    I agree that Greater Restoration shouldn't break sanctuary, but the rest should.

Chant: By means of the Chant spell, the priest brings special favor upon <PRO_HISHER>self and <PRO_HISHER> party and causes harm to <PRO_HISHER> enemies.

True Seeing: Instantly and once each round for 1 turn after this spell is cast, all hostile Illusion/Phantasm spells in the area of effect will be dispelled.

Those are both directly offensive actions.

Blade Barrier - I'm not sure why you would consider this spell to not be directly offensive.  It's a mobile, area-effect, damaging spell, that you are immune to and have direct control over it's movement.

Physical Mirror's issue appears mostly specific to BG2EE - about five of the effects are set to "While Equipped", rather than having a proper duration.  Looks like a copy/paste error.  IWDEE also has one effect using "While Equipped", though it won't generate that visual graphic, it does need to be fixed as well.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited February 2019
    kjeron said:
    I agree that Greater Restoration shouldn't break sanctuary, but the rest should...

I do not agree, and here's why:

1) In this game, I understand a phrase "directly hostile," as 'DIRECTLY causing damage'.

2) Is 'True seeng' a 'hostile act'? You are not 'destroying' anything, but starting to see through magical illusions, and this is by no means a 'direct hostile action'. 'Destruction' of a illusion is just a part of the mechanics of the game. The barrier is supposed to be a purely protective spell (identical to mage's red/blue shields), but again it's all about strange mechanics of this game.

3) In addition to this, it is quite possible in the game to first cast one of the above-listed 'hostile' spells, then cast a 'Sanctuary' and remain under its effect while continuing doing 'hostile actions' caused by these spells. 

4) The mages has a similar spell - "True Sight", which can be used under effect invisiblity of and remain invisible (any invisibility spell will do).

5) 'Free Action' is also 'hostile action'? OMG!

PS Regarding a 'mirror': I have already figured it out by myselfmyself, but thanks anyway! I also create a bug report #40122.

PPS Looking at the increasing number of 'likes' under a 'extremely useful' post of OlvynChuru, I begin to doubt the usefulness of this forum.

Edit: Corrected some mistakes in words. Sorry.

edited February 2019
    1) In this game, I understand a phrase "directly hostile," as 'DIRECTLY causing damage'.
    That's not the definition of "hostile" or "offensive", and there are a multitude of non-damaging negative effects in this game.

How a spell is implemented matters, if all True Seeing did was allow the caster to see through illusions/invisibility, I wouldn't expect it to be offensive, and there are some mods that implement it that way, but that's not how it works in the unmodded game.  It was implemented as an offensive spell, dispelling enemy defenses.

Even if you cast Sanctuary afterwards, the next time those spells "trigger" it will break Sanctuary.

The wizard True Sight does break Sanctuary just as the Cleric True Seeing does.

Invisibility is not the same as Sanctuary.  Their triggers were further split in the previous patch cycle.  Invisibility being broken is still based on hardcoded mechanics - cast a spell targeting anything but yourself, deal damage, attack, or by any effect just flagged "Hostile".

I didn't see Free Action, maybe I glanced over it, dunno, I didn't mention it, but I won't argue against it - it shouldn't break Sanctuary.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Does anyone have a list of spells that wrongly breaks Sanctuary?

Thanks.
    kjeron said:
    'How a spell is implemented matters, if all True Seeing did was allow the caster to see through illusions/invisibility, I wouldn't expect it to be offensive, and there are some mods that implement it that way, but that's not how it works in the unmodded game.  It was implemented as an offensive spell, dispelling enemy defenses'

According to the 'True Seeing': once again - you are not 'shoot lasers from the eyes' at enemy illusions, but just SEE THROUGH them. And how its currently implemented - is a bug. At least for me this is completely obvious.

'Even if you cast Sanctuary afterwards, the next time those spells "trigger" it will break Sanctuary...'

In my version (2.5.16.6) this is not the case.

Okay, so as not to continue the useless debate: it is interesting to communicate with you, but I disagree with almost all your arguments (may be 'Chant' is questionable). 

And in any case, I reported about these "oddities" as a bug. №40121

PS Sorry for, "torn" formating.
    kotophey said:
    kjeron said:

'Even if you cast Sanctuary afterwards, the next time those spells "trigger" it will break Sanctuary...'

In my version (2.5.16.6) this is not the case.
    You are correct, it appears the flag doesn't work on forced spells.

JuliusBorisov
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Just one thing: Deities of Faerûn will have a patch for the Sanctuary spell to fix the issues raised in this thread.
    JuliusBorisov