Skip to content

What the hell have you people done to my beloved game?!

I fancied coming back to BG after a long stretch away from it, did the update, started it up and...
Well... I'm not impressed, Beamdog. Not in the slightest.
The interface is hideous.
The chunky clicking and stoney sound effects are gone from the menu and game proper, with not way to adjust it in the settings.
No footsteps while playing.
Hardly any voices triggering in interactions or battles.
I thought you were supposed to be fans of the game. So why have you ruined it?
I'm sure others have had the same feelings about all this. Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I didn't pay you money so you could screw things up after the fact.
LeokostaQuartz

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I question why you'd pay for an enhanced edition at all if you're so violently opposed to changes even as minor as the footstep sound effects.

Sounds like you're a long time fan. Presumably you already own the game in its original state, the way you like it.
    ThacoBellmashedtatersArtonaGrum
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Not sure I agree with the sentiments of the original poster, but have the footsteps and occasional voices really gone/been reduced? I hadn't noticed, but then I usually play the game muted so I don't annoy the kids :)
    ThacoBell
  • SteveRogers41SteveRogers41 Member Posts: 33
    I hear battle cries from my party members all the time. The only lines I've noticed may be missing are some of the rare phrases they would say when selected or told to move. I think they may be gone, but that's the only negative change I've noticed. Everything else that was changed, I would say, is an improvement.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    there not so much gone as you only hear charname's when you move in a group unlike in the originals where it was random.
    Kurona
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I miss Ajantis’ purple helmet. Helm yeah!
    SteveRogers41DreadKhan
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    I mean if you are going to piss and moan at least post factual information?
    DreadKhan[Deleted User]ThacoBellGrum
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Aaezil wrote: »

Don't accuse me of being a liar, I'm saying exactly what's going on in my copy. It's either not working properly now, thanks to the updates (which I question the necessity of), or they've just stripped it of atmosphere.

How many of you have actually played the original? When the enhanced editon first came out, it was otherwise faithful to it in terms of the interface, etc. When I see it now, it just feels like some bizarro knock-off you'd get as a mobile app.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Also, I notice you're all pretty cliquey now here. This shit happens every time on forums.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited February 2019
    I agree that the interface update was a backwards step. But, I have adapted to it and I think you can too. I really wish we could go back to previous versions. I reached out to BD earlier and they said that only Steam users could that? Anyway, it would be a very nice feature to let people choose the version that they like best.
    Blackraven
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I hear battle cries from my party members all the time. The only lines I've noticed may be missing are some of the rare phrases they would say when selected or told to move. I think they may be gone, but that's the only negative change I've noticed. Everything else that was changed, I would say, is an improvement.

Iirc, that can be fiddled with in the options a bit, ie hear selection/action phrase each time, sometimes or never. Most eventually get on my nerves tbh!

In Tutu, I remember the sound didn't work right for me, and iirc the bottom half of the screen's sound didn't work. I still played a bunch, since so-so BG was better than other games.

Thanks again Beamdog for making the EEs, they are pretty stable atm.
    BlackravenAerakarQuartz
    Yeah, I'd been playing the originals for years before I got on the enhanced.

It sounds like you've taken a very prolonged hiatus, so you may not have noticed, but I hadn't been able to get the sound to work on a modern computer in ages by the time the enhanced editions were released. Hearing the background music for the first time in maybe a decade was an improvement well worth whatever minor changes may have been made to the footstep sounds.

BlackravenronaldoThacoBellDreadKhan
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    It sounds like you’re experiencing some bugs most of us aren’t experiencing. I have the latest version.
    I definitely have voices triggering in battles, and I can definitely hear the footsteps. Your description of the “sound effects” is vague, but if by “clicking” sound effects, you mean the mouse selection sounds, I still have those in my game. Have you checked the troublshooting section of the forums?
    The game is much more customizable now through the options and the .lua file then it ever was in original form or even with Tutu. I’m not sure what you’re talking about with being unable
    to adjust the sound. You can even adjust the entirety of the GUI very easily with a few drag and drop clicks, which I absolutely love.
    It’s easier to mod and is just... better, IMO.
    SkatanThacoBell
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Aaezil wrote: »

Don't accuse me of being a liar, I'm saying exactly what's going on in my copy. It's either not working properly now, thanks to the updates (which I question the necessity of), or they've just stripped it of atmosphere.

How many of you have actually played the original? When the enhanced editon first came out, it was otherwise faithful to it in terms of the interface, etc. When I see it now, it just feels like some bizarro knock-off you'd get as a mobile app.

Maybe don’t come off as a petulant child and you won’t be treated as such?

In regards to your post - I hear footsteps and voices triggering as normal in EE. Perhaps its something on your end?
    ThacoBell
  • SteveRogers41SteveRogers41 Member Posts: 33
    I know some people have some complaints about the enhanced editions, but let's not forget, if it wasn't for them, none of us would be able to dual-wield our way through the first Baldur's Gate. That's just one of the many things we should appreciate about the enhanced editions. Thank you Beamdog!
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellbyrne20
    I know some people have some complaints about the enhanced editions, but let's not forget, if it wasn't for them, none of us would be able to dual-wield our way through the first Baldur's Gate. That's just one of the many things we should appreciate about the enhanced editions. Thank you Beamdog!

I mean, there were mods for that before the enhanced editions were released. That was one of the arguments against them in the early days. A sufficiently elaborate set of mods could replicate most of its new features.

Of course, the enhanced editions have come a long way since then.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @carfax19 It was bad, but half your complaints are weird.
    I never found the font illegible. There definitely was a Rest button. The sound effect never bothered me.

The item comparison? And the XP bar?
    Those are bad. The item comparison doesn't take into account any additional weapon damage, meaning you have to work it out yourself anyway. And the XP bar doesn't reset to 0 when you level up, so once you're advanced in levels, your XP bar will always be almost full, making it semi-redundant. The only really useful part of it is the numeric information as in "Next level in 3129 XP", which saves you the 2 seconds it would take you to make a rough estimate from the numbers.
    realshempQuartz
    I'm pretty sure the original had no quicksave button on the UI either. You could only quicksave with the keyboard, which was a pain when you were playing one-handed.

Not like it was the end of the world. Lord knows I enjoyed the game for years before the enhanced editions came out. The quicksave buttin is a convenience I enjoy now though.
    ThacoBell
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    carfax19 wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see people defending BG UI. It was crammed into 640x480, did not scale, had a terrible illegible font (they tried to patch it in ToSC, but people still used the IWD one), they didn't even have a space for the _Rest_ button! (and no shortcut, too). There was no item comparison, items had stupid with a _pisssh_ sound unfurling tooltips, mages had only one weapon slot, there was no XP bar, etc. etc.

The current UI also has a lot of problems.

And with nostalgia, you see more easily new bugs than old ones which is why there are so many complaints about the new UI.
    AdulAndreaColombo
    lefreut wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see people defending BG UI. It was crammed into 640x480, did not scale, had a terrible illegible font (they tried to patch it in ToSC, but people still used the IWD one), they didn't even have a space for the _Rest_ button! (and no shortcut, too). There was no item comparison, items had stupid with a _pisssh_ sound unfurling tooltips, mages had only one weapon slot, there was no XP bar, etc. etc.

Such as?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Chronicler wrote: »
    lefreut wrote: »

Such as?

@Adul has made a pretty nice list:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1029686/#Comment_1029686
    AndreaColombo
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @Grond0 @CamDawg You are right. I should have searched for screenshots before running my mouth.