Skip to content

Invisibility 10' radius: What is it Good For?

The usefulness of plain invisibility is discussed in this thread. Many good uses are mentioned there, but most of them require only one character to be invisible. From that thread I've selected the cases in which it seems to make sense to make several characters invisible at the same time:

1) Avoiding entire fights. This includes avoiding area transition ambushes and interruptions while you rest.
2) Gaining advantage in a combat by positioning your characters freely.
3) Waiting out an enemy mage's defenses so you can strike when their best buffs are down.

None of these seem very attractive to me, so I'm struggling to find a reason to use this spell. What do you think? Is there any other use that I have missed?

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    If gaining an advantage in combat isn't your thing then you're probably better off with an extra firebolt or slow spell. You can scout and disarm traps with one invisible thief so no need for everybody to be invisible for that.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    With Invisibility 10 a wizard can make both a cleric and a thief disappear.

An invisible Cleric and Thief can solve 80% of the threats proposed in HoW and ToLM.
    Balrog99gorgonzola
    Raduziel wrote: »
    With Invisibility 10 a wizard can make both a cleric and a thief disappear.

An invisible Cleric and Thief can solve 80% of the threats proposed in HoW and ToLM.

How so, if you don't mind my asking for more specifics? You can put your answer in spoilers if you think it's too much of a reveal...
    NK1990
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I like this spell. It can be a life-saver if your party is in bad shape in the middle of a battle. By turning all of your party members invisible, you can flee a battle that isn't going well and come back after you've rested.
    Balrog99AlonsoAerakar
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    I like this spell. It can be a life-saver if your party is in bad shape in the middle of a battle. By turning all of your party members invisible, you can flee a battle that isn't going well and come back after you've rested.

I've never thought about using that spell 'defensively'. There is so much to learn about this game!
    edited February 2019
    @Balrog99 Subtledoctor's answered your question.

Actually, a good portion of IWD main campaign can be handled that way too.

I'm guessing it's not as awesome on HoF mode though? How high of a level does your cleric need to be in that case to blow up the undead?
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    It's a gamechanging spell, particularly in a no-reload. Great for skipping combat vs. trash mobs, avoiding random encounters during area transitions (on the way to a temple!), and near charname if necessary.
    semiticgoddessAlonsogorgonzola
    Balrog99 wrote: »

I'm guessing it's not as awesome on HoF mode though? How high of a level does your cleric need to be in that case to blow up the undead?

IDK, I've tried HoF for like 5 minutes but every battle was absolutely boring.

For the cleric's level, depends on the undead. I think the IE respects the PnP table for this aspect of TU.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the only time i ever use this spell is in bg1, and those times are when im intentionally walking through baddies and the such to get from point A to point B because im at the level cap and dont need any more XP

works especially well on werewolf island, since i always go there with max XP per character, might as well just trapeze through the rest of the island invisible once the island goes hostile

also works swell in LoB mode for bg1, i imported an already sarevok ready team to start ToB, and even with that level 7/8 team, LoB was becoming tedious as hell, but then i discovered i had invisibility 10' radius and it worked wonders, it was the only spell i cast throughout the whole game basically ( except for the odd haste for the odd baddie i had to fight against )

ironically in LoB mode, with a max level team pacifist runs are the best, because killing baddies is such a chore

but other than that, i never use that spell, and in bg2 mass invisibility is just a million times better since it casts improved invisibility on everyone in a huge radius, giving the enemy a nifty -4 to hit, and yer guys a nice +4 to all saves bonus, shazam
    gorgonzola
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited February 2019
    I use it to get around my pet hate of the BG games: Doorways (not portals) that will only allow the entire party through - usually to deliver them straight into the hands of their enemies (and sometimes with the marching order screwed up so that the squishiest member is leading the charge).

Edit: Maybe I should have phrased "squishiest member" differently.
    Grond0AlonsoOlvynChuru
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It's amazing against surprise fights like those BG2 bandits who surprise you while transitioning from one area to another. With SCS most of them are backstabbers or cast disabling spells so a quick invisibility really helps you turn the tide.

In BG1 I remember the moment you arrive from Durlag's to Ulgoth's Beard . The cultists will surprise you right at the entrance and you have no time to buff, not to mention that theyre also backstabbers so being invisible really protects you.

Its also useful to avoid Beholders (or at least to gain advantage) and vampires. Anyway, its good to have your party invisible against any monster who has smart targeting.
    Stromaelgorgonzola
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    If gaining an advantage in combat isn't your thing
    It is my thing, of course. It's just that I didn't know how to do it.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    You can enter a room under invisibility, cast Invisibility 10' Radius, and then, when the auto-pause triggers, order your other casters to summon monsters and throw out disablers and junk. As long as their aura is clear and they're facing the right direction (that is, they don't have to turn around to face their intended target), the other spellcasters will break invisibility right before Invisibility 10' Radius hides them again.
    But what's the point of making your casters invisible again? If you're in the middle of a tough fight, you will want them to keep casting or attacking, and that will remove their invisibility almost immediately, right?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    @Alonso Join the club. I've had that same feeling many times while reading threads on this forum!
    AlonsoBalrog99
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Now that you enjoy the spell I'll rain on your parade a bit : it has an incredibly long casting time!
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    As discussed already it's an incredibly useful spell.

I am always very happen when I stumble across it in BG 1, since it is only available as a random drop until SoD.
    semiticgoddessDJKajuruArdul
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    I used it just once as paladin charname to avoid battle with Tethyrian army in ToB.
    semiticgoddessgorgonzola
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Cabal82 wrote: »
    I used it just once as paladin charname to avoid battle with Tethyrian army in ToB.
    Good roleplaying! I believe there's a mod that allows you to talk your way out of it, but, powergamer that I am, I actually killed the leader after resolving the fight peacefully because I wanted the Answerer +4.
    Grond0StummvonBordwehr
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Cabal82 wrote: »
    Good roleplaying! I believe there's a mod that allows you to talk your way out of it, but, powergamer that I am, I actually killed the leader after resolving the fight peacefully because I wanted the Answerer +4.

RP paladin is especially pain in BG1 - so many talks with npc with great loot can be resolved peacefully. Amnian noble, greatest swordsman on SC, party on basilisk map... pain indeed.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    With item randomiser my noble characters have a tendency to turn into Dirty Harry "go ahead, make my day" types just itching to lay down the law, any law...