Skip to content

New Trent Oster interview

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
In the latest interview with The Fly, Beamdog CEO Trent Oster discusses Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Editions, console ports, creating original games, and more.
lolienanastielTorgrimmer[Deleted User]Aerakar

Comments

• rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited February 2019
    He noted that for certain games they originally were interested in but didn't end up enhancing, the legal scenarios around them are "too onerous."
    Fallout - Behtesda; Neverwinter night 2 - Obsidian; KOTOR - Disney.
    ThacoBellTorgrimmer
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    It's probably my bad english, but can someone please paraphrase what Trent said in the second paragraph because it seems like I'm misreading it as I can't understand and I can't agree with what he is saying. There are still a lot of them; they'll never run out. But can we at least have NWN2 lol unless it's one of the games with too onerous legal issues.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Illustair wrote: »
    It's probably my bad english, but can someone please paraphrase what Trent said in the second paragraph because it seems like I'm misreading it as I can't understand and I can't agree with what he is saying. There are still a lot of them; they'll never run out. But can we at least have NWN2 lol unless it's one of the games with too onerous legal issues.

you are understanding it as it is

it would be nice if they did a NWN 2 EE but if they don't have the resources are the confirmed fan base to do so, that will forever be a pipe dream unfortunately
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    So if the IEs did really well, but NWN not so much, why not tap into that really well running IE business with another DLC?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Thels wrote: »
    So if the IEs did really well, but NWN not so much, why not tap into that really well running IE business with another DLC?
    All we would probably get is yet another pointless cosmetic microtransaction DLC for the IE's, given that such things take the least amount of effort and money to make. Can't really see something akin to a SoD2 happening at this point anymore. Even the Soultaker thingy was probably left alone for a potential BG3 to tie into. But by the looks of it that's not the direction Beamdog as a developer is taking anymore either.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    rede9 wrote: »
    He noted that for certain games they originally were interested in but didn't end up enhancing, the legal scenarios around them are "too onerous."
    Fallout - Behtesda; Neverwinter night 2 - Obsidian; KOTOR - Disney.

TROIKA games - GOD DAMN IT.
    KamigoroshiThacoBellVseslav
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Steps have to be made for the good of the company and business, new line, new direction, I'm happy with what Trent said. Not happy that we are closing the chapter on the IEs but I'm looking forward to what is next. Change is hard, but it happens.
    JuliusBorisovkanisatha
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Not knowing the next step might not be a bad thing. At least it's not something I yet again don't care about, like no new DnD or RPG content again. I still think there's a lot of potential to be had in NWN:EE :)
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    does this mean we will never get an IE toolset to make our own adventures?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    does this mean we will never get an IE toolset to make our own adventures?

Yes.