Skip to content

Beamdog Announces Axis & Allies Online!

13»

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I'll probably sit this one out. I don't doubt the quality of the game, but things that romanticize actual armed conflicts make me uncomfortable. Entirely a personal thing.

Exactly the same for me. Replaying one of the greatest tragedies in human history holds very little interest for me. I still have to evacuate my living area 2-3 times per year due to some old bomb being found.

Strategically for the company, I am surprised that there is no tablet/phone version planned. Main challenges for development will probably be to create a sufficiently good AI & to make certain that the network code for multiplayer is really robust. Otherwise the "flip the board" version will be drop-out/timer expiring shenanigans.

I wonder what it means for the team - what will the writer and story designers do?

Anyway, I think there is still a demand for both new RPGs, as well as a plethora of old RPGs that could be really nice to have brought back, e.g. Goldbox, EotB, Wizardry, Ultima and even hidden gems like Star Saga.
  • AronAron Member Posts: 94
    Maybe its been asked before, but will this be possible pre-order? maybe with another pre-order badge even? :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Aron wrote: »
    Maybe its been asked before, but will this be possible pre-order? maybe with another pre-order badge even? :)

The Early Access is like a Pre-Order (i.e. you pre-order it before the game is fully released). Not sure about the forum badge as the plan for the forum around AAO is still being decided.
    TorgrimmerAronlolien
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited February 2019
    Early Access is in itself more akin of customers buying the priviledge of being an alpha/beta tester. Usually they purchase a more or less broken game at full price tag for that. So a tester badge would perhaps be more accurate for them to get.
    Nostariel
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331

"as the plan for the forum around AAO is still being decided."

If this is the case can I add my thoughts to the debate of this if i can if this would happen how would we as gamers and customers be able to give feedback to you the devs. about the game directly without the forums, Personally this would and is a bad move if this is made. I know you guys get a lot of crap from us but it is how you know your doing with your fan base.

• lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Torgrimmer wrote: »

If this is the case can I add my thoughts to the debate of this if i can if this would happen how would we as gamers and customers be able to give feedback to you the devs. about the game directly without the forums, Personally this would and is a bad move if this is made. I know you guys get a lot of crap from us but it is how you know your doing with your fan base.

I think they are deciding whether they want a new section for Axis here or a new forum dedicated to it.
    lefreut wrote: »

I think they are deciding whether they want a new section for Axis here or a new forum dedicated to it.

Still
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    lefreut wrote: »

Considering there is an announcement sitting at the top of every page on this forum taking up screen estate for a game that I have zero interest in, I hope it's being split off into its own forum.

I would NOT want to see a bunch of announcements related to different games that I cannot click away, and just force me to scroll further on EVERY SINGLE PAGE!

The dozens of announcements per forum is crazy enough as it is, but at least those can be unstickied on a personal basis.
    lefreut
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

If it is on Steam, there will be the Steam forums to those who purchased the game for feedback towards the devs.
    lefreut
    edited February 2019
    » show previous quotes

If it is on Steam, there will be the Steam forums to those who purchased the game for feedback towards the devs.

True, but so are the other games on this forum too.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    As does the other games here too.

Except for MDK2:EE as it wasn’t released through the Beamdog client like every other game was.

A&A is also not being released through their own client (yet) only on Steam. They’d probably rather have all discussions about the game when it is in Early Access in one spot.
    I get the feeling most people here are butt hurt about change and dont like the New Game, well, I'm not happy either, but im behind Beamdog and I'm sticking with Trent and looking for forward to the new Game and will do my best to see it be a success.
    JuliusBorisovkanisatha
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Companies seeking new potential target audiences happens all the time. That however doesn't necessarily mean that the already established customers are also part of said target audience.

A&A is going to be a unique franchise which unifies three of my major dislikes: online, turn-based and WWII themed. As such, I'd consider it irresponsible usage of my well-earned money if I ever buy it. Others may think differently, but things I don't like I don't buy. Simple as that.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Don't worry! You'll always be able to share feedback on the forum.
    Torgrimmer

Don't worry! You'll always be able to share feedback on the forum.

Thank you @JuliusBorisov
    JuliusBorisov
  • shmity72shmity72 Member Posts: 46
    Make it so.
    SkatanTorgrimmer
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    For those who've played both, what's the difference between the original and the 1942 second edition?
    Torgrimmer[Deleted User]
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Big A&A fan here. Play a lot of it via TripleA. Which has a ton of maps/variants.

Just don’t want to play it via Steam. Have nothing but problems with several newer games via their platform. The fix for one game is the cause for errors with the next. I have wasted tons of time trying to get Total War games to work for example.

So.... will I be able to play Beamdog’s A&A via a non-STeam client in Win 7?
    JuliusBorisovTorgrimmer
    edited February 2019
    Blades wrote: »
    Big A&A fan here. Play a lot of it via TripleA. Which has a ton of maps/variants.

Just don’t want to play it via Steam. Have nothing but problems with several newer games via their platform. The fix for one game is the cause for errors with the next. I have wasted tons of time trying to get Total War games to work for example.

As of right now to start no, but it could come to the Beamdog Client or GOG at a later date but i dont know, but all of Beamdog's games are Win 7-10 compatible.
    Blades wrote: »

At this time, only Steam Early Access has been announced. Thanks for the feedback.
    Torgrimmer
This discussion has been closed.