Skip to content

The lesser known historical facts thread

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Alright, let's keep this thing going.

Did you know that Charles Manson and his family moved in with Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys? The Beach Boys even recorded one of his songs.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/charles-mansons-relationship-with-the-beach-boys-explained-2017-11
    That's right, Charles Manson wrote Never Learn Not To Love
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRGI5Exr3ZQ

Really creepy when I found this out, since The Beach Boys was my first concert as a kid in the '80s.

The theory of the atom goes back to the 5th century BCE and is generally attributed to Democritus
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomism
    The Greek word for Atom means uncuttable. Early Chemists, when first starting to understand atoms as we know them today, thought them to be indivisible, so they picked the name atom from the old Greek philosophers. In a way, you could think of atoms as uncuttable, since if you were to cut an atom any smaller, it would cease to be the element it once was. While of course you can break an atom into smaller parts, it's no longer what it was. What I find most fascinating is that because Democritus believed in a static universe with predefined paths for the atoms, he thought everything was predetermined. His student Epicurus (mostly known for food today, which is a whole other thing), believed the atoms to be in a state of random chaos, not unlike chaos theory and heisenberg's uncertainty principle in some ways.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @DrHappyAngry that reminds me when I started to learn about Buddhism, after learning some basic neurology, and seeing that ancient people understood the human psyche on a profound level, and perhaps how to live better with it. I've heard the Dali Lama has stated that anything in Buddhism that is contradicted by science has to be accepted as false, thought this could be apocryphal. I don't think that the original teachings would have to have very much discarded from the core tenets to fit that standard, which is unusual for what is essentially a religion.

I'm always irritated to read what amounts to the opinion that all people used to be stupid that some people have. Yes, people were on average a bit dumber in eras with regular food shortages, but in normal periods people were people for heaven's sake, and not idiots. Still, I think people will look back and think we were dumb for various reasons, so maybe it's an inevitability?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I abandoned the "people of the past are stupid" stance as soon as I first heard "We don't know how they accomplished this." in a documentary. It may have been Easter Island.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The Easter Island thing is explainable. The basic idea was that they rolled along the statues on logs and used ropes to pull them upright. Labor-intensive, but a solid low-tech means of moving around giant rocks. There's also a theory that felling all the trees to make those logs resulted in erosion, desertification, famine, and eventually extinction when the island could no longer sustain life.

I find it odd that so many of these documentaries act like moving heavy things is impossible to do without modern technology. Muscle power can do a lot of work, given enough time. It just depends on how much effort you're willing to invest in a given project.

But there are better examples of people using clever methods in the distant past. Maggot therapy comes to mind--it's still in use even today. Maggots can safely and cleanly deal with gangrene because maggots only eat dead flesh; not living flesh.

Of course, humans also used to use leeches to treat illnesses, and that treatment only made things worse. But medicine is one of the more complicated practices, so it's expected that premodern folks wouldn't be able to pin down reliable treatments until biology advanced. More common trades better represent human ingenuity before the modern era.

Agriculture would be a good example. It's an immensely complicated science and it takes months and years to see how experiments play out. Traditional agriculture is actually very sophisticated.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I am going to steal this from Desmond Morris' The Day The Universe Changed, but somebody once said to the philosopher Wittgenstein, "What a bunch of morons those people in the middle ages must have been, thinking the sun went around the Earth." To which Wittgenstein replied "Yes, but what would it have looked like if it did go around the Earth?" The point being, it would have looked the same. The series The Day The Universe Changed is fantastic, it's a documentary series about moments when our view of the universe changed. His other series Connections is awesome, too, it's about how all these little unrelated discoveries and random events lead up to inventions and breakthroughs.
    @semiticgod Yeah, now. But back when I was a kid, there were a lot more things we scrathced our heads over. Stone Henge was another example.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @semiticgod Yeah, now. But back when I was a kid, there were a lot more things we scrathced our heads over. Stone Henge was another example.

If you really want your mind blown my sister has been getting into Skywatch lately. She sent me a bunch of books and tapes. I haven't been reading much lately but what I've looked at so far is pretty disturbing conspiracy theory stuff. Think Ancient Aliens combined with God, end-times prophecy, the Nephilim and the Illuminati all tied up in a bow. I know you're a Christian so if you're into that stuff at all take a look and let me know what you think. I won't put a link here but if you (or any other forum members for that matter) are interested in what makes many Evangelicals tick, just Google 'Skywatch TV'.
    Post edited by Balrog99 on
    Balrog99 wrote: »

If you really want your mind blown my sister has been getting into Skywatch lately. She sent me a bunch of books and tapes. I haven't been reading much lately but what I've looked at so far is pretty disturbing conspiracy theory stuff. Think Ancient Aliens combined with God, end-times prophecy, the Nephilim and the Illuminati all tied up in a bow. I know you're a Christian so if you're into that stuff at all take a look and let me know what you think. I won't put a link here but if you (or any other forum members for that matter) are interested in what makes many Evangelicals tick, just Google 'Skywatch TV'.

Wow, so we have somehow rolled pseudo Christian tradition, with Jewish cult lore, shadow government conspiracy theories, AND aliens? That is certainly a lot of things.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2019

Wow, so we have somehow rolled pseudo Christian tradition, with Jewish cult lore, shadow government conspiracy theories, AND aliens? That is certainly a lot of things.

They still have to find a way to include the MIB, Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot in their theories or it won't be complete.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    The Grand Unified {Conspiracy} Theory is here at last B).
    @Balrog99 Are you sure this isn't just a game of Vampire: The Masquerade that just got out of hand?
    @Balrog99 Are you sure this isn't just a game of Vampire: The Masquerade that just got out of hand?

Unfortunately it's all too real for some people. It does have all the makings for a really good novel or movie though. Maybe it's own Cinematic-Universe even!
    I think that CERN logo looks like a chubby bird bowing, with it's tail feathers up in the air... OMG! THE BIRD OF EVIL! PAZUZU!!!
    edited February 2019
    DreadKhan wrote: »
    I think that CERN logo looks like a chubby bird bowing, with it's tail feathers up in the air... OMG! THE BIRD OF EVIL! PAZUZU!!!

Don't say that. Next I'll be reading that it's not really 666, it's a symbol for Quetzalcoatl because that'll be the first demon to emerge from the black-hole...

Unfortunately it's all too real for some people. It does have all the makings for a really good novel or movie though. Maybe it's own Cinematic-Universe even!

I would watch that movie...
    What really cracks me up about all this conspiracy theory stuff (religious or not) is how these evil scientists/politicians/rich people/devil-worshippers, and whoever else I'm leaving out, have all of these grandiose plots going on all over the world that are completely coordinated and going on right under our noses but they can't resist putting a '666' in their emblem. It's like one of those super-villains that can't resist telling everybody about their evil plan!

I think if I figure it all out they'll have no choice but to hang me by my feet with a rope and slowly lower me into a pool of sharks. That way I can miraculously escape when they inevitably leave me alone because of some distraction or other.

If you tell the truth nobody will believe you. If they kill you they just confirm its all truth.

Hmmm.maybe I should split this discussion to a new thread.
    edited February 2019
    mlnevese wrote: »
    What really cracks me up about all this conspiracy theory stuff (religious or not) is how these evil scientists/politicians/rich people/devil-worshippers, and whoever else I'm leaving out, have all of these grandiose plots going on all over the world that are completely coordinated and going on right under our noses but they can't resist putting a '666' in their emblem. It's like one of those super-villains that can't resist telling everybody about their evil plan!

I think if I figure it all out they'll have no choice but to hang me by my feet with a rope and slowly lower me into a pool of sharks. That way I can miraculously escape when they inevitably leave me alone because of some distraction or other.

Well truthfully, there are a fair amount of people that think at least some of this stuff IS 'lesser known historical facts'. Wisdom is only possessed by the NOT learned in their eyes...

Well truthfully, there are a fair amount of people that think at least some of this stuff IS 'lesser known historical facts'. Wisdom is only possessed by the NOT learned in their eyes...

Its kinda weird, but it's IMHO the exact same silliness that lead to witch burnings and other atrocities, at least we don't usually have massacres by conspiracy nutters, just occasionally. What difference is there between believing that Jewish people have secret practices involving sacrificing Christian babies, and believing that modern 'elites', who inexplicably don't generally include Republicans in the US, are all in a secret cabal. I mean, both are equally out of their tree, and not based on anything like reality, and both have resulted in evil being done. Of course, there are many people that believe that the core of that 'elite' group IS Jewish people, so go figure.

One must wonder if a lot less people would have been killed off over the years if we had anti-psychotic medicines further back in time. :S Not blaming the psychotics themselves, it's obviously not strictly their fault, and there was really not treatments until pretty recently, with many false hopes preceding good medicine, and hopefully better stuff in the future.
    BillyYank wrote: »
    The first book so far is mostly about how the scientists at CERN are trying to create a black-hole to open a portal to Hell and allow the fallen angels access to Earth. Because, you know, that's what evil scientists do.

Everyone's known that all along.

7a7oou9aobo6.jpg

Is that George Soros in the background?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The Freemasons are another example... they are the worst secret society I've ever heard about. I can easily find the addresses and phone numbers of their lodges if I do a quick search :)

Not to mention the baseball caps, t-shirts and bumper stickers their members often sport.
    Yeah, it isn't a coincidence that most conspiracy obsessives are people at the bottom of society. Their attitudes interfere with success, and to help soften their pain at being what they (and society in general) think isn't successful they make up explanations why such a great person is unemployed or marginally employed, or employed in a depressing job; the conspiracy. It can include things like believing everyone else has become more successful because of nepotism or 'who they know', and even people we as a society might consider reasonably successful can feel the need to justify not achieving other things of note they desire, ie a male accountant could grow frustrated at being sexually undesired despite being fairly wealthy, and convince himself that most people fitter are abusing drugs etc.

I think the USA and other countries that make a show out of believing that hard work = becoming successful are more burdened, because its actually pretty easy to work too hard, and the rewards usually suck. Countries that aren't radically individualistic also avoid some of this madness. I think it favours men too, with men being the more likely to manufacture enemies, but ymmv.

Its infuriating though how powerful/influential all those conspiracy nutters are getting, with the rise of coarsest populism in many areas we're finding out how dangerous of a voting block they can be. What lunatic thinks things were ACTUALLY better +50 years ago??

You know, its starting to look a bit like the conspiracy nutters are, in fact, conspiring against the sane people!!!
    edited February 2019
    https://jezebel.com/japan-is-also-fighting-a-measles-outbreak-1832868877

Uh, so apparently more political populism, the more 'distrustful of science' people tend to be. I really don't mean to be rude, but isn't it more or less denying objective reality to deny proven science?? I have non-mainstream beliefs about some stuff, including evolution (I am pretty strongly Christian afterall), but I am well aware that genetics definitely change over time, and the scientists that independently thought of it extremely intelligent. I was pretty authoritarian while a teen (...no, I did not have many friends, nor did I really want to), yet I always believed in justice and the Rule of Law.

Seriously, are people just insane in huge numbers?? Vaccines are imho the biggest and best bit of science we've ever had, better than the wheel even. What the heck are these people thinking? How can anyone sanely disregard actual, solid research?

Edit: I don't think it even matters if the people have even a cursory level of knowledge with tech to comfortable, they literally just need to be around it enough, and you don't get vaccinated that repetitively. The average anti-vaxer is still fine using telephones they literally cannot even start to explain, but vaccine science, with staggering evidence of benefit and nearly no downsides for ANYONE, that's the one they hate.

If those turds could watch Youtube on their vaccines, they'd all get vaccines, I just know it. Really, really depressing to think about too much.
    Post edited by DreadKhan on