Skip to content

Unique games recommendation!

CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
Need recommendation of games:
What would you recommend based on following? I'm looking for new indie/kickstarter/games commonly missed

Some games that I liked/loved/enjoyed, I mark my favorites with an *
Mages of Mystralia*
Nine Parchments*
Dead Cells
Heroine's Quest the Herald of Ragnarok*
The Flame in the Flood
Crusader's Kings 2
Ghost of a Tale*
Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn EE
NWN1 & 2*
Trine 2*
Divinity Original Sin 2*
Pathfinder KM*
Bard's Tale IV
Witcher 3

Have been considering buying:
Moonlighter
Tales of Vesperia
Kynseed
Edge of Eternity
Eternity the Last Unicorn

Would love to play 100%
Mineko's Night Market - but it's not released
other unreleased lovely games that I would really like to play:
Eitr
Wytchwood
Druidstone SotMF
Realms Beyond
Black Geyser
Spire of Sorcery
Children of Morta
SkatanThacoBell

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    This might be a stretch, but look up Tower of Time. It's a quirky but fun strategic RPG game, or whatever that genre can be called. I bought it on a sale and had fun with it, but haven't finished it yet. Only played the first floor so far. It has a bit of the "trine" feel to it, though still very different.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Shameless plug time:

I just reviewed Tower or Time for Wild Surge and it is a decent game and checks off the unique indie game that is commonly missed.

the tl;dr version of the review is that it is a beautifully crafted isometric dungeon crawl that incorporates real-time with pause, however the combat (and character progression) plays more like a tower defense game than a typical RPG. Full review can be found here.
    Skatan
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    It may not be exactly what you are looking for but Book of Demons is cool (and it's on sale right now).
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Fallout 1 and 2.

Play those with community's patches, by the way.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Well it's pretty main stream but Metro Exodus is a breath of fresh air in the current AAA game sphere. It's actually good and not a cash grabbing mess of a release.
    ThacoBellRaduziel
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The whole Metro series is pretty darn good. Personally, I find them to be most enjoyable fps games to come out in a long time.

@Cvijeta How far away from top down strategy are you willing to get? I play a lot of indie games and freeware, but they tend to be inspired more by jrpgs than wrpgs.
    FinneousPJ
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    I'm having a blast with BattleTech right now. Quite math-geeky and with little narrative though.
    Skatan wrote: »
    This might be a stretch, but look up Tower of Time. It's a quirky but fun strategic RPG game, or whatever that genre can be called. I bought it on a sale and had fun with it, but haven't finished it yet. Only played the first floor so far. It has a bit of the "trine" feel to it, though still very different.
    Wishlisted
    Skatan
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

i recommend arcanum also with community patches.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Devil May Cry 5 just came out. I'm having fun playing it.
    TakisMegas
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    The whole Metro series is pretty darn good. Personally, I find them to be most enjoyable fps games to come out in a long time.

@Cvijeta How far away from top down strategy are you willing to get? I play a lot of indie games and freeware, but they tend to be inspired more by jrpgs than wrpgs.

Suggest away. I don't discriminate based on point of view.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Cvijeta All righty then, I have a few recommendations:

1. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass: A game that takes place entirely in the dreams of an 8-year old boy. The game tackles a lot of subjects (some difficult) from the point of view of a child, giving things a unique perspective. Themes of self worth, fear, family, support, loss, and disability are common. The tone can shift from saccharine to horror in an instant, and is used to really good effect.
    The characters are well written, likeable, and BELIEVEABLE as people you might meet irl.The game takes some design cues from Earthbound, Final Fantasy, and Chrono Trigger. Battles are turn based, with npcs having detailed roles and an ever changing party, forcing you to adapt changing tactics. The main character, however, runs on a job system similar to FF5, giving different stat boosts and abilities on the fly, able to shift in and out of combat. Different jobs also granting different abilities to clear obstacles on the overworld and reach new areas.
    Funny, Heartwarming, Heartwrenching, and terrifying, This was my GOTY last year.

2. Lisa the Painful RPG: This one is interesting. Think Mad Max + Fist of the North Star + Proffessional Wrestling. A dark and cynical look at what may be humanities last days as an event called "The Flash" seems to have wiped out all women in the world. Until the main character finds a lone baby girl out in the wastes and decides to protect her from the dangers of the wasteland. The game is a side scrolling rpg that makes sure you feel how brutal the wastes of Olathe are (oh yeah, the game takes place in my home town). There are very few random encounters, almost every enemy is a scripted fight with unique names. You never know who will be a push over or who will wreck your day.
    Party members can permantely die, get kidnapped and held for ransom or just murdered, etc. The game juggles between a pitch black tone, and some absured and well timed humor. You might have just had to choose between the lives of party members, but then immediately run into a proffesional wrestling ring played entirely for laughs. It hits themes of failure, drug abuse, sexual abuse, and trying to be a better person (but not always succeeding).
    Its an odd game that if it doesn't repel you, will probably suck you into the characters and personal drama. Its a hard game to explain, its like walking through a room, only to step on a rake every few minutes and have it whack you in the face. But like, the room is REALLY interesting and you want to see what's through that next door.

3. HEARTBEAT: This one I haven't finished yet, but I'm about 10 hours in and really enjoying it. Its an aborable story about a conjurer and her familiar. Everything fromt he artstyle, to little touches in the world make it feel so inviting and comfortable. You are descended from the first ambassador between humans and Mogwai (the name of the resident monster race). What starts as just simple errands, and meeting new friends, balloons into trying to prevent a war, as you learn that not everyone wants peace between monsters and humans. The characters are likeable, adorable, and character desing are incredibly varied, as individual Mogwai can be based on just about any mythological creature from different cultures (your partner is a Cait Sith. Your party is, again, on rotation for a lot of the game, so changing tactics is important. Combat is somewhere between Dragon Quest and Pokemon. Standard turn based, but character elements and affinities are very important. I have less to say about it, as I haven't finished it yet, but I've had a lot of fun with it, and I think its worth a look.

Also, have you played Hollow Knight? Best Metroid style game ever. The game's a masterpice.
    CvijetaFinneousPJ
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight mod. It's a freaking blast! Other than the BG family and Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, it's the game I've played the most and had the most enjoyment with...
    Gusindashabadoo
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    If you go for the Temple of Elemental Evil, you need to also include the Temple+ (aka TemplePlus) mod as well. It adds a bunch of fixes, new playable classes and races etc; still being developed.

Gus
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    Have you tried any of Jeff Vogel's games? His company is called Spiderweb.

Geneforge series.
    Avernum series.
    Avadon series.

He has remade the first three of the Avernum series so they are much more playable on newer machines.
    He has said that he will be remastering the Geneforge series starting later this year as well.
    FinneousPJ
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight mod. It's a freaking blast! Other than the BG family and Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, it's the game I've played the most and had the most enjoyment with...

I was just going say this very thing. Have you played with. Co8,s "Keep on the Borderlands" mod?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I have not but it sounds fun!
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    I haven't, i actually stopped playing all video games for a few years at the time they were building it. Haven't had the chance get back into any of it until recently.