Skip to content

[v2.21] Shadow Magic

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @Flashburn

Uh, it’s possible that I removed the immunity for cold-resistant creatures when I found a bug that causes them to become immune when they reached negative resistances (because a negative value is greater than 100 according to the engine for some reason) but I have no idea if I made the change locally or in the latest version. I’ll have to check.

I unfortunately don’t install SCS on my mod testing games because it takes forever to install, so if there is a compatibility issue there I don’t know about it. I will say that on my latest playthrough I deliberately avoided that SCS component and the Shade Lord used spells as intended.
    Flashburn
  • NaroweNarowe Member Posts: 1
    Ive recently installed the Shadow Magic kits and have been having some major issues with them, I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues?

I have attempted to create a character in Baldurs Gate 2 EE twice, one a wizard and another a sorcerer, and each time directly after the conversation with Imoen, the dialogue box that appears and allows you to select your spells comes up. I noticed that 1st level spells are not selectable and i retain the Identify spell, and otherwise I may select 2nd, 3rd and in the case of the wizard, 4th level spells.

The main issue is that after selecting all spells, the Dialogue box stating 'Select a Spell level' still pops up, but without any dialogue choices. This box keeps opening itself after being shut and does not allow me to play the game as it interupts constantly.

Is there an issue with the download do you think, or is this an issue that has arisen before, as I am new to modding Im afraid i really have no idea myself :/
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Did you figure out the issue with shadow monks not being recognized by Kryn or their inability to use SW items?
    @Zaghoul

They're not supposed to be
    Zaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Thanks, I was just making sure.
    v1.9.38
    • Improved BETA Spell Learning System - scrolls work properly
    • Black Ray of Destruction: duration reduced from 5 to 2 rounds
    • Merciless Blizzard: fixed description (cold-immune targets no longer resist effects)
    • Fiery Pandemonium: fire-immune targets no longer resist effects
    • Daylight penalty no longer grants maximum caster level when below level 3
    ZaghoulFlashburnGusinda
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    @AionZ where can I find the download? First page SHS link shows last year as update.
    edited March 2019
    It has been awhile since I gave feedback on this mod, so I thought I would provide my 2 cents.

The mod is great! The variety of classes and spells is wonderful. The added content of both equipment, quests (in BGEE), and NPC enhancement (BG2EE) are great.

I just feel that there has been allot of power added to these kits over other non-shadow kits. In particular, the ability boosts for INT, WIS, CHA that only shadow kits can get really ramp up their power. Combine this with the added utility spells they didn't have at first and the spells that now can impact undead and the bad trade offs have been greatly minimized. In particular I think the Shadow Disciple is way over powered now.

Just my inputs from playing this great mod!
    @AionZ the beta spell learning (from 1.9.38) does not work well for me in either BGEE or BG2EE. Sometimes the spell I select doesn't take (happens in BGEE allot) and I have to try several times or I start getting big red X icons when trying to select spells (happens in BG2EE) and I can never finish spell selection and have to exit out of game. I just uninstalled it and it works fine the old way.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited March 2019
    Necromanx2 wrote: »
    @AionZ the beta spell learning (from 1.9.38) does not work well for me in either BGEE or BG2EE. Sometimes the spell I select doesn't take (happens in BGEE allot) and I have to try several times or I start getting big red X icons when trying to select spells (happens in BG2EE) and I can never finish spell selection and have to exit out of game. I just uninstalled it and it works fine the old way.
    The big red X icon is a necessary evil - it blocks you from learning more spells of that level once you've reached the limit - I have found a possible alternative solution, but I am still testing - but you should be able to easily remove the red X icon by clicking on it, just like unselecting a spell for a sequencer, then allowing you to select another spell.
    I am not familiar with exactly how the mod forces the spell upon level up, but I would suspect that it is expecting you to select a spell of a higher level before proceeding.
    All spells are red X's so I get stuck. I did see I can click on the icon in the box to remove it, but nothing works after picking 5 spells at 1st level.
    All spells are red X's so I get stuck. I did see I can click on the icon in the box to remove it, but nothing works after picking 5 spells at 1st level.
    You cannot switch to or select the higher level spells (buttons at the top)?
    I did not see those. Maybe? I uninstalled the beta spell learning at this point.

It was hard to tell that I learned a spell. I would click a spell and it would go into the box. I would then click done and I would come back to the same screen and see the spell in the list that I thought I had just selected.

I could be doing something wrong, but it was not straight forward to understand.
    I did not see those. Maybe? I uninstalled the beta spell learning at this point.
    It uses the existing Sequencer/Mage book infrastructure - the same buttons to switch between spell levels.
    It was hard to tell that I learned a spell. I would click a spell and it would go into the box. I would then click done and I would come back to the same screen and see the spell in the list that I thought I had just selected.
    That is an issue - spells that have been learned should not continue to appear. I'll give it a closer look soon as I can.

OK. Installed the beta component and created a Shadow Adept. I ran into the issue of needing to re-select the same spell for it to finally take. Once I picked all the slots for all the levels it didn't let me out. I ended up picking a red X spell and done and then it let me out of the spell select.
    OK. Installed the beta component and created a Shadow Adept. I ran into the issue of needing to re-select the same spell for it to finally take. Once I picked all the slots for all the levels it didn't let me out. I ended up picking a red X spell and done and then it let me out of the spell select.
    Well, that's better news, and I think I see whats going on now.
    @AionZ - the "D" suffixed subspells were given a non-instant projectile to avoid a related issue - which I suspect caused issues for you with it being applied by script, but I think I know how to fix it:

For each base selection spell (such as C0SALSS.spl):
    ADD_SPELL_EFFECT opcode = 206, target=self, duration = 2, resource = ~C0SALSS~ (Immunity to spell)
    For each activation subspell (such as C0SALSSD.spl):
    ADD_SPELL_EFFECT opcode = 266, target=preset, resource = ~C0SALSS~ (Remove Immunity to spell)
    restore them to a non-instant projectile (#47-#55)

The 2 second immunity will prevent baldur.bcs from forcing the spell before it's had a chance to update, and it's removed by the activation spell so it can be reforced as soon as it's updated, rather than waiting out the full 2 seconds. It shouldn't ever need the full 2 seconds, even 1 is probably enough, it just needs that moment of time to update before getting recast.
    Fixed up the spell learning a bit.
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    edited April 2019
    Is there anyway to assign an AI script to an NPC that's turned into a shadow adept?
  • RingStarRingStar Member Posts: 12
    Hello! It took some time since my last question ... So I will ask again, maybe something has been done. At what stage is the Stronghold?
    @AionZ are Shadow Adept scrolls (the ones that let you memorize more spells) available in BG2EE?

I also am experiencing an issue (not using EET):
    I played a BGEE game and exported my endgame Shadow Adept character (Human, 3rd level fighter / 9th level SA). I then save the character file over to BG2EE and then EEKeeper it to select the SA kit before starting a game. I then start a game and select the SA character. The game starts, but the first cut scene (in Irenicus sewer) is very slow and I see my menu options. I can pause, open my character sheet, look at inventory, etc. If I then save and reload (after the initial cut scene), it takes a long time for the game to load (black screen for minutes). So I find I cannot use my BGEE SA in BG2EE as everything slows down. I need to create new SA and EEKeeper him to the stats and XP of my BGEE character. Not sure what is in BGEE that BG2EE does not like but it is very repeatable and it slows the game dramatically.
    Flashburn
    @Necromanx2

I can not reproduce any slowdowns, but the interface does pop up at the start where it would normally be a cutscene. The cutscene events still play out but I’m figuring out a fix for this.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @AionZ I had a similar issue with a DoF script.

Are you by any chance adding a code to BG2's starting area? If so, use EXTEND_BOTTOM instead of EXTEND_TOP.

Using Top makes everything lag like hell and the initial cutscene play weirdly. Bottom solved the issue.

I don't know if that's the case, though. Just a heads-up.
    Gusinda
    @AionZ In case it helps, here is my character file for BG2EE.
    edited May 2019
    Well, after a long period of scratching my head and cursing at my PC screen, it would turn out that the most likely offender, "BDBALDUR.BAF" was not the cause of the import bug, but a seemingly innocuous, minuscule script for putting the stupid little ring behind the portrait in the weapons room.

Which has nothing to do with cutscenes whatsoever.
    Which only causes an issue if you import. Somehow.

YEAH THAT MAKES A LOT OF SENSE I'M GLAD I ADDED AND DELETED LINES TO A COMPLETELY UNRELATED SCRIPT FOR AGES TO NO EFFECT AAARRRGGGHHH ABFOIUEAOFNEFEFAEFA

On the bright side, problem solved. I'll have the fix for this put up later in the day.
    RaduzielFlashburnevildevil97Gusinda
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Modding can be so relaxing sometimes.
    @AionZ I have come across an issue in BG2EE. If I use my shade wolf to help fight against Bhaal in the dream world the cut scene where the Imeon spirit screams and you should go back to Spellhold doesn't work. My character and the wolf just keep attacking Bhaal and we are stuck as all controls are gone. I have to force the game down with task manager.

If I fight Bhaal and don't use the wolf, all works fine.

I have attached a save where I just need to bring Bhaal in to fight him. If you use the wolf to help fight it causes the issue.
    @Necromanx2

Cannot reproduce across multiple attempts... even while the familiar attacked Bhaal the cutscene still plays out as expected. Is this a consistent occurrence for you?
    edited May 2019
    If I have the Show Details selected (the button above the AI) then yes it happens every time if the wolf attacks. If I don't have show details selected it works fine.

On a side note. When you beat Bhaal and finish the scene and start in the maze, does Mazzy get permanent held on you?
    @Necromanx2

Still cannot reproduce either issue. The Show Details button is just a perma-TAB, I have no idea what relation it would have to anything script-related. Mazzy is fine after the sequence. This is very likely a mod compatibility issue. It looks like Mazzy has some sort of F/C kit which I don't have installed which may have something to do with that problem.