Skip to content

[MOD] Verr'Sza NPC (for BGEE and SoD)

Comments

• CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    So it should be this?

IF
    !GlobalTimerNotExpired("BD_BANTER_DELAY","MYAREA")
    !RealGlobalTimerNotExpired("C02_BANTER_DELAY","GLOBAL")
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,103168)) // Running block 169 of C02ABANT.BCS
    ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayStringHead(Myself,103168)) // Running block 169 of C02ABANT.BCS
    SetAreaScript("",GENERAL)
    END
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Hm. If this is triggered by another script than the current area script I understand why it repeats itself over and over, but not why it would make Verr'Sza stutter.
    Caszidy
    edited December 2018
    I am sorry, I looked at it again and it looks like I catch a wrong script (sorry it really flows really fast :blush: ). The one which cause problems is more likely Running block 33 of L#1DVER.BCS for which NI says:

IF
    !AreaCheck("bd0120")
    !AreaCheck("bd0130")
    InMyArea(Player1)
    InParty("Corwin") // Corwin
    InParty(Myself)
    !ActuallyInCombat()
    Global("bd_battle","global",0)
    RealGlobalTimerExpired("L#1DVerCorwinTalk","GLOBAL")
    !GlobalTimerNotExpired("BD_BANTER_DELAY","MYAREA")
    Global("L#1DVerCorwin","GLOBAL",1)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,106200)) // Running block 33 of L#1DVER.BCS
    ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayStringHead(Myself,106200)) // Running block 33 of L#1DVER.BCS
    SetAreaScript("c02abant",GENERAL)
    END

which makes more sense because I have Vers'za and Corwin in party. And I can confirm, that when I kick out Corwin, the issue is gone.
    lolien
    This looks good. It's from the Verr'Sza mod and I can understand why it would stutter.
    I am sure this will help with debugging and I am sure Artemius_I or Lava will have a fix for you soon.
    Caszidylolien
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
    @Artemius_I just sent me the new file. Checked it and updated the mod. Thanks everyone!
    Caszidylolien
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535

@Artemius_I just sent me the new file. Checked it and updated the mod. Thanks everyone!

So, we cannot fix this issue via the console, right?
    @Artemius_I - can people use C:SetGlobal("L#1DVerCorwin","GLOBAL",2) do stop the bug or can it make stuff worse?

@Artemius_I - can people use C:SetGlobal("L#1DVerCorwin","GLOBAL",2) do stop the bug or can it make stuff worse?

Just to clarify: I don't have Corwin in my party, so this issue is not restricted to her......
    My party is composed of: custom character, Edwin, Baeloth, Verr'sza and Viconia........
    edited December 2018
    I assume it's Baeloth, there is a wrong script reference (I guess it's a copy&pasty thing), the same as for Corwin was.
    Does setting
    C:SetGlobal("L#1DVerBaeloth","GLOBAL",2)

help with your stutter?
    EDIT: This was a reply to @Luke93
    Post edited by jastey on
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I’m going to have to make a whole new attempt to imitate the SoD-style banters at this point. This is absolutely infuriating.
    jastey said:

I assume it's Baeloth, there is a wrong script reference (I guess it's a copy&pasty thing), the same as for Corwin was.
    Does setting
    C:SetGlobal("L#1DVerBaeloth","GLOBAL",2)

help with your stutter?
    EDIT: This was a reply to @Luke93

It worked, thanks :)
    lolien

I’m going to have to make a whole new attempt to imitate the SoD-style banters at this point. This is absolutely infuriating.

Do they not work at all? I see a potential for a "stutter" kind of behavior, i.e. the NPCs stop their actions while the banter (scripts) are running every time they are saying something (via DisplayStringHead) because the setting of the area script is done every cycle but apart from that, do the banter not work at all the way you coded them?

I was considering writing a tutorial about the SoD banter system (the way I understood and used them for my private NPC), would this be helpful or did you already work your way through the recoding?
    @Artemius_I I have some kind of "heretic" question, but - is it really necesarry to have SoD like banter form? I must admit (and I think I am not alone) that I hate the new (SoD) style of banters. I really prefer the old fashioned form, where the game is paused and dialogue window pops out - that will always ensure that nothing is missed.
    Here I will interject and say "no". The idea of is to introduce mods that blend in with the game's original content. I wouldn't introduce something like that in a project. I do respect decisions on how banters are included in that part of the game. Also, I wouldn't stand the situation when some banters are head string, while other happen as in BG2. Such a mix would be unacceptable for me.
     TheArtisan

Also, I wouldn't stand the situation when some banters are head string, while other happen as in BG2. Such a mix would be unacceptable for me.

Thing is, there is already tweak mods who turn the SoD-Banter style banters into BGII style ones... And in my opinion, if one plays the whole trilogy in one go or BG:EE with the BG1NPC Project, it's the SoD banters that stand out, but that' just my taste.
    I do agree to the wish to blend in and respect the original game devs' decisions, though. Mods do change things and add new content but there is a way to do it so they blend in while keeping as much original content as possible.
    Ideally, the mod would offer a choice between SoD style banters and BGII style ones, but I fear as long as noone is volunteering to code this (in addition to Lava giving his ok, of course), this remains wishful thinking. This is not a "problem" of this mod alone imho, but for all NPC mods with SoD content and a result from the devs' decision to change the banter style for SoD, for whatever reasons.
    CaszidyMirandelmegamike15
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yeah the sod banters really stand out to me and sometimes they start while i'm fighting so i can't hear them at all. it's why i use the tweak mod to change them to the bg 2 banters.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2018
    Better or not I choose to base my design around the unmodified game rather than another mod.
    LavaDelVortel
  • Leliana93Leliana93 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2018
    Nevermind found out that it's on the third floor so things were working all along, anyway the mod is good so far :)
    Post edited by Leliana93 on
  • amberCoffeeCatamberCoffeeCat Member Posts: 90
    Hiya!

I found a small bug that I've not seen reported here (at least a cursory search hasn't revealed it). When I enter upstairs of Silvershield estate in BG, Verr thinks that we are in Candlekeep and says something along the lines "So this is where you grew up, all those dusty books".

Not game breaking, since I just reloaded and left him downstairs, but maybe worth a look.
    lolien
    Probably used wrong area refference. Thank you! Will fix it in the next update.
    lolien
    Sure thing :-)

I really enjoy the mod! I think that you purrfectly portrayed a personality that a cat could have if it were a person :-)
    lolien
    Another bug. Verr keeps trying to initiate dialog, as in, Charname is highlighted as his "target", he walks to her, but then he only "pushes" her a bit forward and no dialogue fires. It happened several times in various locations in Baldur's Gate.
    @amberCoffeeCat If you still have the stutter bug you described, install the Stutter Debug Tool to identify which script is causing it. I walked someone else through a similar problem starting here.
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, jastey! Though actually maybe I misunderstood in a "it's not a bug, it's a feature" kind of way. I noticed that Verr just automatically follows my PC whenever she's out of sight - this is the behavior I took as trying to initiate dialog.
    Okay, that's weird, as I don't think I implemented such a feature...
    Now THAT is interesting. Maybe another mod interferes somehow? I have loads of them.
    Or maybe the answer is simpler and it is because of AI scripts. I will experiment today and see.
    My personal head-cannon for that currently is that Verr just likes to rub against my PC like a real cat :blush:
    lolien
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Arctodus wrote: »
    I just fought against Akeriash and, since I play with SCS and a bunch of other monsters were around (I was trying to sleep and was interrupted) I couldn't kill him before Verr'Sza vanished. Is that it ? Is Verr'Sza gone forever ? Will he appear in SoD anyway ? Is the gear he was wearing gone too ?
    If you failed his quest (didn't make it in time) then yes: he would leave as any other NPC in the game.

I had something similar happen recently but the explanation from @LavaDelVortel does not quite make sense in the context. Detail in spoiler:
    I had just started chapter 7 and returned to Baldurs Gate. To my knowledge I had no quests open or recent dialogues from Verr about anything that I am expected to do. After resting in an inn the party exited the building and Akeriash spawned right on us in the doorway. His dialogue ensued about Verr's brother and then the battle began. Fireshields in the face are scary when you are playing insane mode! Within about 8-10 seconds, mid-combat Verr vanished along with all his equipment of course. "Hunters... never truly die..."

From the dialogues in that encounter and other spoilers in this thread, I speculated that there must be some downtime for him to rescue the offspring in the planes and he would return to the party later. Being so close to end of game I wanted Verr with me in Undercity so I did some other things after Ducal Palace to pass time hoping he would reappear. After several more in-game days nothing happened so maybe the infant rescue is in the SoD story arc instead. Reading the quoted posts now I must have been too slow? Should have just charged in instead of wasting time on debuffs.

I had no way to explicitly know if I had failed the quest or not and there was no journal entry to show if the story line is open or closed. Further, Verr did not apparently die but instead just "left the party" fully equipped, with a comment suggesting he is not actually dead. It would have made more sense for him to chunk, or have a journal entry showing that we failed to save him. Akeriash said he is "already dead" in the dialogue. The way it is done is so abrupt and does not give obvious closure, if anything it implies that it is not over when actually it is. Is it like this so he can reappear in SoD even if you failed to kill Akeriash quickly enough?

So I replayed Chapter 7 and had the tactics ready to drop the mage within a round. His appearance in the middle of the group at melee range, with insta buffs limited the options significantly but I was ready for it this time. Mage dies, Verr is grateful and no lets not worry about the infant, Sarevok needs to die and off we go. No problem then.

So why go into all this detail about it? Simply because it is my first time playing the mod and I got confused by contradictory dialogue in this encounter, and the fact that Verr disappeared or "left" instead of dying. I am down a few hours now from chasing the proverbial wild goose. But I can see how this could come about when adapting a BGEE mod to become a BGEE-and-SoD mod. Perhaps with hindsight a completed quest entry could have been created in the journal to indicate that Verr was banished from the prime material to tie up the loose end? Take it as a feedback rather than a complaint.

Also I want to let you know that I have really enjoyed the mod and appreciate the time that you have put into this and the many others too! Mods are the only reason I still play the game these days.
    The thing is that what you are describing (Verr leaving in the middle of the battle etc) is not intentional and I never heard of such bug. That part should be quite simple:
    Akeriash is finally aware of where Verr'Sza is and he wants him dead - simple as that and you are just to kill the mage. Then the quest is done. The infant plot should happen between BG1 and SoD content. In SoD you will be able to find out more about that plot.

I am not sure what may be causing the problem and I am not sure how to recreate it. Tell me, so upon your second try things went fine and you are able to to continue your game, right? That's how I understand your description.

If so, I think it was simply some unfortunate coincidence. Not sure if you have any other mods, but if everything is going smoothly now, then there is nothing for you to worry about.
    Very_BigSword
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Thank you, all is proceeding smoothly from the reload. I was able to recreate it however and play around with the outcomes. It is exactly what Arctodus described above and his confusion about it mirrored mine.
    The dialogue indicates that Verr is under the influence of some spell and Akeriash needs to die "quickly". After a certain time passes without Akeriash dying Verr gives the standard death dialogue which is "I will haunt you... true hunters never die..." . I think that what is supposed to happen at the end of the timer is a scripted death for Verr, literally he should drop dead (or maybe chunking to prevent resurrection). What happens in reality is that he instantly disappears after the death dialogue (along with all equipped and inventory items), similar in manner to the way a companion will leave permanently at the reputation breakpoint. But it is an instant vanishing rather than walking to the nearest exit before disappearing.

If the way it works was deliberate I can only imagine that it is supposed to allow for Verr to reappear in SoD even if he died in BG:EE. Just like Jaheira and Khalid will still be in SoD if they died in BG:EE. It is not a random glitch since Arctodus had it and I can repeat it at will.

At any rate it is nothing that stops my play through. Do with this information what you will, and thanks once again for the excellent content.
  • KalessiKalessi Member Posts: 1
    It seems I have a problem with installing Verrsza.
    Every time I initiate an installation, there is a problem with parsing 1verr.baf file.